by slapperdad » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:27 pm

C77, do you coach?
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by Dark Angel Coach » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:10 am

C77, I agree that there needs to be training for Coaches. There is a very large Baseball Organization close to my home that requires their Coaches in Rec and travel ball go through a mandatory Coaches clinic.
The clinic was put together by the H.S. baseball Coaches.
Now this was about 5 years ago, and maybe they have changed their thinking.

The problem is what are they teaching?

In the hitting portion of the clinic they were teaching the chop down swing! And he actually stated "like you're chopping wood!"

After it was over i asked the Coach where I could see a video online, of a high level player swinging the way they are teaching? Of course he couldn't direct me to a video because the best don't do this!

And most of the Coaches at the clinic also have Daughter's that play softball, so it gets passed along to the softball players.
So, even though they mean well, they're passing along information that the high level players in baseball and softball are not doing.
This is why I started a thread on hitting mechanics.
I have a training Facility and see travel baseball and softball teams come in and work with their players. This is when I see the chop down swing, the drive the knob to the ball, and one that I can't even explain because it is so unorthodox and confusing!

I don't know everything about hitting, but I do study what the MLB and the College Softball All Americans actually do, and it's not what most of these Coaches are teaching.
So, how do we get everyone on the same page? Or at least in the same book?
Dark Angel Coach

by softballalum » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:37 am

The most qualified hitting and pitching instructors are those who have been offering lessons for more than 4 years and have refined their techniques. Their own testimony (without pounding on their own chests) are the number of students that have gone on to play after HS or those students who have had a stellar HS career and may not have chosen to play collegiately. The word gets out as to who seems to produce the best results. All the other static are fads that come and go. The HS athetic experience is too short to chase something new. Chopping at the ball is too specialized for 99% who have enough flaws to correct. Seems the players committed to be the best and their parents also committed to get the best instruction, thru word of mouth, find the best.

"No brag ...just fact" - Will Sonnett
softballalum

by Scooby26 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:05 pm

C77, you are right things could always be better. However, there are good coaches and bad coaches in softball all around the country and at every level of play (rec through D1). I doubt that the percentage of poor coaching in Indiana is significantly higher or lower then any sample taken from elsewhere around the country. If your goal is to raise the level of the coaching around the State---great more power to you. I admire your enthusiasm but in my opinion you underestimate the efforts and results of quite a few excellent travel ball coaches and the effects they have had in getting their players prepared to succeed at the next level. Contrary to your statement that "a few girl's" are doing well in college, I'm not sure that I've ever seen this many Indiana girl's either playing at an all-conference type level or at big time programs just beginning to make their mark! Off the top of my head, all of these girl's either played travel ball in Indiana their entire careers or the majority of their years and are having great seasons!

Chaunsey Bell-------Alabama
Andrea Filler--------Northwestern
Roni Patterson----IUPUI
Erin Rethlake--------Kentucky
Kelsey Dotson------IU
Gabby Snyder-----Dayton
Brittany Grey---------Georgia
Whitney Arion------Louisville
Trista Cox-----------Central Michigan
Haley Chambers-----SIUE
Erin Lehman---------IU
Hillary Kartman----Kennesaw State
Holly Hoffman--------Iowa
Kelsi Jones-----------Louisville
Alex Kotter----------Butler
Ashley Burkhardt ---Purdue
Brooke Boetjer------IUPUI
Emily Dabkowski--Ball State
Nicole Steinbach----Ball State
Taylor Carter--------ETSU
Kendra Lynch------North Carolina
Jenna Simon--------Notre Dame

Those are just the ones that came to mind. there are many more at the D1 level and that's not including all those that are having great success at the D2, D3 and NAIA level. I guess my point is, while the bulk of the credit for these gals success lies in their own talent and hard work---the coaches that they were getting instruction from when they were developing must not have screwed them up too badly! If you can improve the skill level of our Indiana kids and their instructors I wish you all the best. Just don't lose sight that there have been some good ones along the way before you came along.
Scooby26

by GoldElite » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:02 pm

C77fastpitch wrote:True, lets talk softball!! Goldelite- What worth while contribution would like to add. How about the state of travel ball in Indiana. On one post someone said travel ball was exploding in Indiana, I frankly don't see it. Although there a few good college players coming from Indiana, there are not enough.I've never seen a state with more hitting and pitching coaches,and yet so few really good hitters and pitchers. The ratio of private coaches to successful players is dismal. Yet on every post people brag about their private coach, or the coaches brag. Its just as dismal for travel ball organizations in Indiana. I know this will not make me friends, but other states do not believe travel ball is exploding in Indiana. The travel teams in this state are not generally well coached. Many of the coaches are belligerent if not right out abusive, and they think this is the way they are suppose behave. (Bobby Knight thing) I personnally believe there should be more training of coaches. Classes in coaching should be mandatory for anyone starting a travel ball team, or coaching high school. Parents spend a lot of money for their child to play travel ball with no guarantee of anything, playing time, skills development, or even respectful treatment. It about time players in Indiana have contracts with organizations and coaches. Before I spend money on a tv set, I would have a buyer's contract. I know there are good coaches in Indiana, but there are not enough, and things could be better.

You present this as if these are facts. Typically facts can be supported by studies, opinion polls, statistics, etc. can you cite any? We all know these are your opinions. And they very well may be opinions shared by others. But I think it's awfully closed minded for you to spout off opinions such as these without even hinting at what you might be doing to make softball better.

Truthfully, I'm actually rather offended by your comments. I'm rather proud of what softball is doing for the young ladies of this State. The competition from softball teaches our DD's how hard work and dedication will help them in future endeavors (outside of the game). The companionships and friendships are DD's are developing will always be a network of other young ladies that they know they can rely on. And yhose coaches you seem so fond of, well, they might just teach our DD's that you may not always like who you work with/for.

You see, the game of softball isn't always about becoming an All-American, or an Olympic gold medalist. It's not even all about 'earning a scholarship'. The game of softball is first, and formost, about the lessons that are learned from being a part of this great game.

And for all of this, I am thankful for this game. And I am darn proud that my DD has chosen to be a part of it. And I'm thrilled that she has brought the joy of watching her turn into a strong, hard working, and determined young lady through this game.

Now, back to the topic at hand. How in the hell are we supposed to get games in with the frappe spring weather? Who is playing this week?
GoldElite

by fastec27 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:01 am

HSE 3 Carmel 1

Heard both teams played well.
fastec27
Premium Member
Premium Member

by SBradley » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:04 am

Got to love forums. Between the goof giving lessons in Noblesville, to the non spelling Lawyer. Everyone is better than everyone. The Dark Angles never did anything, so I wouldnt be promoting your hitting style (which is terrible by the way), to the lady that is going to fix Indiana Travel ball - god help us all.
SBradley

by Dark Angel Coach » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:06 pm

SBradley wrote:Got to love forums. Between the goof giving lessons in Noblesville, to the non spelling Lawyer. Everyone is better than everyone. The Dark Angles never did anything, so I wouldnt be promoting your hitting style (which is terrible by the way), to the lady that is going to fix Indiana Travel ball - god help us all.

Lol, thanks for the vote of confidence SBradley!
There were many Dark Angel teams, and maybe you saw us play or maybe you did not.

And "my hitting style" is really not my hitting style!
I teach what the best do, not what I made up or another Coach came up with.

And let me know what your style is Mr Bradley! Maybe you can come by and show me the correct way to teach hitting.
I'm old enough to not get upset when someone that doesn't even know me, calls me a goof! :lol:

I don't know everything, and I keep an open mind!

So please let me know what to teach!
Dark Angel Coach

by sftballguru » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:26 pm

On another note, are you serious? 33-0? What kind of jacka$$ doesnt step off and get the game over?

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/contest/defau ... 202c720148
sftballguru

by Dark Angel Coach » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:29 am

C77, You make some great points again! And I've heard the Coaches that you are talking about. Cussing and screaming at their players and the Umpires.
I tried to remain calm when I Coached no matter how the game was going. Even when I had a disagreement with the Umpire I would call timeout and talk to them face to face.

The Coaches need to remember these girls are watching everything you do! So don't act like an idiot!

Ps. I'm still waiting for a certain person to let us all know how to teach hitting the right way! :P
Dark Angel Coach

PreviousNext

Return to IN