Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IN

2015 High School Ball

by LeftyHitter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:51 am

Crown Point has to be the favorite in the North for 4A. They lost 6 starters, but the pitching they have has to be the top in the state (probably Midwest) and I'm sure they have players in the wings ready to step up. Penn will be good as well, as long as their pitching holds up. They only lost 1 starter, but it was the #1 pitcher and 4 hitter. The sophomore pitcher has the potential to make them even better IF she can improve her consistency both in the circle and at the plate.
LeftyHitter

by Kidcanhit02 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:08 am

With all due respect to Crown Point, Bloomington South (last year's state champs) still have the same pitcher who was flat out dominant in the tournament last year. I am sure CP's pitchers are solid but saying they are best in state or midwest is a stretch when someone who was so dominant last year is back again this year. In addition Bloomington North's pitcher broke school strike out records as a Freshman last season. She is pretty darn good herself.

I am not saying Bloomington South is the front runner in 4A as they did lose a lot of great seniors. I am just saying their pitching is pretty good and that the CP pitching statement might be a little much.
Kidcanhit02
Premium Member
Premium Member

by LeftyHitter » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:48 pm

Kidcanhit, I wasn't trying to say that Crown Point has the best pitcher in the state (not saying they don't either, that's a different argument), but that nobody else can stack up a staff of pitchers like the one they have. They have a junior (Elish) who committed to Oregon before her freshman season and helped take the Bandits to the championship game of 18U PGF Nationals last year after winning the 16U championship the year before. She went 24-1 with a .31 ERA last year in HS and won Gatorade Player of the Year. Her only loss was 2-0 to a very good pitcher that is now at Kentucky who had one of her better games at Semi-State. Both sides’ pitchers only gave up 2 hits that game. They have a sophomore (Halloway) who committed to Notre Dame before her freshman season that took the 16U Bandits to the championship game this year after taking them to the 14U championship game the year before and went 4-0 with 11 Saves and a .44 ERA in 17 appearances in HS. They had another freshman pitcher last year that ended up pitching JV and from the couple times I saw her, she could have started for 80-90% of the high school teams.

I have nothing to do with Crown Point or any of their players. My DD went to Penn and graduated a couple years ago, so I have no dog in the fight. I was just giving them their due respect. If another high school has multiple top tier pitchers out there that I'm not aware of, I apologize. Just as a point of reference, Penn went to semistate last year with 2 very good pitchers that are both going D1 and probably both at minimum top 20 in the state and possibly top 10, but I wouldn't put either of them at the level of the top 2 from Crown Point. I do still watch a lot of high school softball and help coach an 18U travel team, but I have to admit, I haven't seen a lot of the southern teams play. I congratulate Bloomington South for winning it all last year and HSE for that matter for getting hot at the right time and making a run to the finals.
LeftyHitter

by slapperdad » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:53 pm

Bloomington South has some big sticks to replace. But they're usually solid, Meg does a great job over there.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by Kidcanhit02 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:29 pm

For the record I have zero affiliation with the Bloomington programs. I actually have little affiliation with HS softball other than watching any chance I get. I have heard the South pitcher has already signed but could not tell you when/where or whatever. I cannot even say where she plays travel ball. I had just followed Bloomington south's pitcher making an almost scoreless run to the state championship. That is pretty good in my book and why I thought, "hey, let's give them credit until someone proves otherwise."

It is not surprising to hear there are girls who play for the Bandits that are sigining with big programs (especially at young ages). That is what the Bandits do. Being on the Bandits means you are one heck of a softball player and means you will be given great looks by the biggest and best colleges. I commend the CP pitchers for the dedication and skill they must have to be a part of that program. It would be impossible to take anything away from the accomplishments you detailed.

Regardless, I do hope to see the CP team play as it appears those pitchers would be a lot of fun to watch. That CP coach is being blessed with that rotation. I am sure many HS coaches would love to have that level of flexibility at the pitching position.
Kidcanhit02
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 10GatorCoach » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:43 pm

Kid,

White (BHSS) Signed TN State
Watson (Penn) verbal Louisville

Not that my opinion means a thing, but I have yet to find a HS pitching STAFF as deep as Crown Point. (Elish (Oregon), Halloway(ND), Renner (uncommitted/Magic Gold))

Of course, a deep staff does a team no goos when the Coach doesn't know how to use it! :o

Should be another great year and I'm sure there will be 1 or 2 schools come out of nowhere, as there usually is.
10GatorCoach

by bsquad812 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:35 pm

Castle should be even better this year. They have a very talented freshman class coming in. Boasting a stud shortstop and pitcher. The 8th grade glass will bring multiple high level players to the program next year as well. It will be fun to watch tj em make a run over the next few years.
bsquad812

by SftbllLifer » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:54 pm

Couple things. As someone who helps girls talk to colleges as get signed. 9/10 signing with a team before you ever start high school is a mistake. Your scholarship isn't about the biggest name it's about finding the perfect match for you. I highly suggest waiting until Soph. Year to sign because that gives you a view of 1-2 years of current roster that will be there when you get there. Also leaves a better chance that coaching staff will not change, before you get there. Not to mention choosing a major, no 8th grader I've ever met had it all figured out. Heck most high school kids don't know exactly what they want to study.
Secondly what I've noticed from watching my players former and current is that no matter how good the pitcher or pitchers are if the team can't consistently score at least 3-4 runs a game even against the best teams. More times than not it turns into a 1 run loss heartbreak.
Last thing I just thought of, the girl playing for Kentucky is Erin Rethlake and she probably set the record for most career strikeouts. Most dominant pitcher in Indiana I've seen. Kentucky struck gold with her.
SftbllLifer

by LeftyHitter » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:22 pm

SballLifer, I agree with you on all the recruiting/signing points. Signing as a 9/10 does no one any good in my opinion. There are very few kids that know what they really want to do at that age, so majors offered, school ranks in those majors, etc. which should be a high consideration are all a gamble. On the softball side, like you said, there is the chance of coaching changes, program direction, etc. None (or possibly very very few) of these kids are going to make a lifetime career off of softball, Wish there was something that some party would do to make it more like football where they wait to sign until senior year, but unfortuneately softball is going the other direction.

As for Erin, yes Kentucky got a good one. Hopefully she gets the chance to show her stuff. She did finally get in to a couple games on Thursday and did well going 2 innings of scoreless, hitless ball and a save, but they have 4 strong pitchers, all underclassmen and it's not going to be easy. I don't think she is the career strikeout leader in high school, according to the record book which says it was updated through 2014 (though I'm not sure how well it's kept, I think the HS coach has to submit the stats and that can be inconsistent). Mel Dumezich holds the record with 1651 which is unbelieveable. I don't think "E" had near that many, especially since she was hurt and missed part of her soph. and sr. seasons. Not taking anything away from her, my DD played a year of travel ball with her and she's a great player and kid as well. The high school game has changed since the move from 40 to 43 feet. Pitching is still key, but like you said, you now have to score 3-4 runs to win consistently. Thus what happened to CP against HN and HN against HSE.
LeftyHitter

by David Lauck » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:42 am

No one can sign a NLI until their senior year. Softball, football, basketball..it's all the same in regards to signing with a school.
David Lauck

PreviousNext

Return to IN