Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IN

o

by Yobucket » Mon May 19, 2014 6:48 am

Runs are up and strikeouts are down. You will see them allow both in the near future (crowhopping/leaping). I believe her point was that she (pitcher) was not getting an advantage that she already had.
Yobucket

by Yobucket » Mon May 19, 2014 10:14 am

If they make the change, then great. But getting worked up about it now is not good for your health. Just as in the past, when changes are made to the game. Some want to be drama queens over it. The best way is to accept the change and deal with the issues as they come up. Which there might or might not be any. Who knows, Its just a game.
Yobucket

by ontheblack » Mon May 19, 2014 11:02 am

The replay I saw, nevins didnt replant and subsequently push off, but simply didnt have her foot in contact with the ground. Smith made a distinction between leaping and replanting and concluded that leaping provided the pitcher no noticeable advantage. I agree.
ontheblack

by ontheblack » Mon May 19, 2014 11:12 am

The point is she isnt pushing off a second time, which is the main concern with a replant. It isnt that plain and simple. There is a big difference between the replant where they appear to push off again vs the foot landing a split second before the other.

Take your visual perspective out of the equation and look at the physics. Then you will understand her point that nevins is not gaining any advantage from that illegal pitch.

If your point is to be strictly legalistic, that is a different issue with which I have no argument. By rule it is an illegal pitch.
ontheblack

by PDad » Mon May 19, 2014 4:53 pm

C77fastpitch wrote:... The question will then become, "Is her foot on the circle or past the circle"? :roll:

The circle has nothing to do with pitching rules. :roll:

Crow hopping does not have a standard definition, so I avoid the term. Some use it interchangeably with leaping and to others it only indicates a replant.

Leaping and replanting are not mutually exclusive. Leaping is the easier one to spot and point out. Nevins was definitely leaping and possibly replanting. Nevins lands cleats down and looks to push off again with a drag of a few inches. Escobedo on the other hand leaps and the tip of her toe is the only thing that makes contact.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ontheblack » Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm

exactly what advantage do you think she gains?
ontheblack

by PDad » Wed May 21, 2014 4:28 pm

C77fastpitch wrote:A leap is a drag of the back foot, legal in all softball!

WTF? Perhaps you're confusing it with the "leap and drag" which is legal. Hear is the rule.

NCAA 10.4.5 Leaping is not allowed. The pitcher may not become airborne on the initial drive from the pitcher’s plate. The pivot foot must slide/drag on the ground.

Nevins and Escobedo both get airborne. It's easy to spot on the replays and the leap precedes any subsequent replant.

A crow-hop is second planting of the back foot, illegal in womens ball. It is impossible to plant a second time and not push with it, a plant is a second push, gravity and all. The two pitchers you mention both crow-hop, using leverage to increase throwing speed.

A crow-hop can occur multiple ways. The one that typically gets called is the pitcher moves their pivot foot forward of the pitcher's plate while they're winding up for their initial push.

NCAA 10.4.6 Crow hopping is not allowed. The pitcher may not replant, gain a second starting point and push off her pivot foot. Once having lost contact with the pitcher’s plate, the pivot foot may trail on the ground but may not bear weight again until the pitch is released.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sat May 24, 2014 1:03 pm

C77fastpitch wrote:Wow! A crop is a jump, and a replat with the back foot. This is the same as a pitcher striding off the mound, but much closer to the plate. The leap your talking about, up in the air landing on the front foot, is stupid and not an advantage at all. Nevins leaps, replants with her back foot, and strides and pitches. It is impossible to land with your back foot and not use it for leverage to push forward, ...

I posted the NCAA rules and you stick with your own definitions? smh...

BTW, Inglesby (WA) was called for crow hopping in today's game. All she did was move her pivot foot slightly in front of the pitcher's plate.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sun May 25, 2014 3:16 pm

C77fastpitch wrote:Thats called a "Cheat step", not a crow hop!!! Good Job :ugeek:

I don't see that term in any rule set. :roll: Perhaps you can provide an authoritative source that backs up your definitions.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to IN