Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IN

Top pitch callers in central indiana

by Battle » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:46 pm

Mavrick67 wrote:I see that this site has not changed a bit, someone starts an interesting thread and it becomes a big argument about who has the bigger junk!

For what it is worth I don't think anyone can be considered a great pitch caller until they have coached in the big tourney's for the older age groups where you really have to think around great hitters. There are many things that go into being a great pitch caller (none more important than good pitchers) but I have never played against a team with a better pitch caller than Chad Greene of the Dreams (Montgomery). He is hard on players and holds them accountable, and might not be everyones cup of tea but he is the best I have seen at reading hitters and working with what his pitcher has to offer.

My 2 cents, let the bashing continue!

Do any of you teach your catcher how to call pitches?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Turn two » Thu May 01, 2014 9:56 am

Battle, we did on the team I coached. Started letting the pitchers and catchers call their own games at 14U. My daughter was the catcher, so we could/would talk philosphy of pitch calling. Worked well for us, as my DD was smart as heck (got an academic scholarship, not germane to the conversation I know, but had to brag) and understood the game very well.

I reminded both she and our pitchers that although DD was calling the game, I was taking them out if they got shelled, so they had every right to shake off a pitch she wasn't comfortable with.

Worked out well for Pitcher, Catcher and team.
Turn two

by slapperdad » Thu May 01, 2014 10:26 am

I see both sides of this argument. But my gut says you have to let the kids take ownership of the game. It's their game, let them play it.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by Beast_30 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:52 am

My daughter is the primary catcher for the Gators 03, The head coach (David Carter) has worked with her since the fall on the art of calling pitches and currently she probably calls 80% of the game. We normally utilize two different pitchers and David meets with them and my daughter before the game and between innings to discuss what we want to do and what is working. I think it takes a head coach with their ego in check to allow this to happen and not second guess every hit or walk.

I will say this, it gets the catcher more involved in the game and has definitely improved my daughter's level of responsibility behind the plate.

I do realize that at the 10U level you are talking about 2-3 different pitches, not saying it doesn't get more complicated as you get older but laying the foundation for recognizing what is working and how to effectively call a game doesn't have to wait until you are 14-16.
Beast_30

by Softball Scholar » Fri May 02, 2014 6:42 am

Im going with the top pitch callers as the some of the young lady catchers. For the main reason, they have best view of the game. They have a feel where the velocity level the pitcher is at and they can see exactly where the strike zone is. They probably know the pitcher better than the coach. I can see coaches calling pitches at 10u, 12u or even inexperienced catcher at 14u. I think at 14u, its time to hand the reins over. Of course the coach needs to regulate and get feedback, but.
Softball Scholar

by Play Hard » Fri May 02, 2014 8:43 am

I used to agree with catchers calling the game and still have them do it at times.

Over the last few several years, I have had occasion to talk to many college coaches and was shocked to find that very few of them allowed their catchers to call the game. Then you start to think about it. The bench has incredibly detailed scouting reports on hitters, far more information than a catcher can remember for every hitter. Even in travel ball, with using the ipad for scoring, there is far more information available to the coach.
Play Hard

by Battle » Fri May 02, 2014 1:05 pm

Turn two wrote:Battle, we did on the team I coached. Started letting the pitchers and catchers call their own games at 14U. My daughter was the catcher, so we could/would talk philosphy of pitch calling. Worked well for us, as my DD was smart as heck (got an academic scholarship, not germane to the conversation I know, but had to brag) and understood the game very well.

I reminded both she and our pitchers that although DD was calling the game, I was taking them out if they got shelled, so they had every right to shake off a pitch she wasn't comfortable with.

Worked out well for Pitcher, Catcher and team.

Interesting posts here. You guys should post more on the main board.

It's a lot easier to teach/let the catcher call when your DD is the catcher. You have a lot more time to spend with her. It can cause problems between the pitcher/parents and other players/parents so beware even if it's not your DD as catcher. I don't necessarily buy into it only being a coaches ego if he doesn't let the catcher call. He may feel that he has an obligation to give the team it's best chance of winning for the sake of all the other players. I still like the idea of giving the catcher and pitcher the riens though.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Yobucket » Fri May 02, 2014 4:46 pm

I highly doubt an experienced coach is going to leave a game in the hands of 12u or 14u player. They have even trouble getting to the fields on time let alone trying to win a game. And just because they dont call pitches doesnt mean they are less of a catcher. It is mostly catchers parents that drive this. Another chest pounding moment to say "my dd calls all her own pitches." If the colleges dont let them, why in the world would you let a junior high or high school catcher do it. And for most of you who have never caught a game in your life. There is lot of crap going on back there. Much easier for a catcher to receive sign set up, so they can concentrate on the runner at first, and the number of outs,etc.
Yobucket

by Battle » Sat May 03, 2014 3:17 pm

Yobucket wrote:I highly doubt an experienced coach is going to leave a game in the hands of 12u or 14u player. They have even trouble getting to the fields on time let alone trying to win a game.

LOL...When is ever really not in the hands of his 12u or 14u player(s) or at least the ones that do show up on time?
Battle

by Here We Go » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:12 pm

[quote="flashdad"]Interesting Topic.!!
I think pitch calling is highly under-rated in softball today...especially at the younger ages. A good pitch caller isn't just someone that sits on a bucket and puts down 1 or 2 or 3 fingers during the course of the game. It is someone that molds young pitchers into being able to "think" and "work" their own way through a game. I have seen alot of softball over the years and recently, I have witnessed a coach for the Indy Crush 03 that takes pitch calling to a new level. He has to be considered in the top 5 in the state.[/

I was lucky enough to get to watch this team at the NSA A Nationals this week and I think hands down this coach needs to be recognized on a national level, he had hitters fooled all week. I just wish GoldElite was there to witness the greatness that was displayed this weekend.
Here We Go

PreviousNext

Return to IN