Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IN

Top pitch callers in central indiana

by big blue nation » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:56 pm

Who are the top pitch callers in the Indianapolis area?
big blue nation

by Prospects1 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:08 am

Chris London
Prospects1

by flashdad » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:34 pm

Interesting Topic.!!
I think pitching calling is highly under-rated in softball today...especially at the younger ages. A good pitch caller isn't just someone that sits on a bucket and puts down 1 or 2 or 3 fingers during the course of the game. It is someone the molds young pitchers into being able to "think" and "work" their own way through a game. I have seen alot of softball over the years and recently, I have witnessed a coach for the Indy Crush 03 that takes pitch calling to a new level. He has to be considered in the top 5 in the state.
flashdad

by FPDad00 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:10 pm

Eric Linton from Gators '02 makes his pitchers better with his pitch calling. He studies the game and the hitters intently and it shows in the low run totals they allow in tournaments.
FPDad00

by GoldElite » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:01 pm

Seriously, what pitches do 10u girls have? Fast and not quite as fast? I just can't see a ball "breaking" much in 35 feet. I'm sure there are exceptions to that. But wouldn't it be better to work on location vs pitches at this age?

I would agree that studying the swing tendencies of opponents would be a great advantage. This is why I don't like seeing opposing coaches at hitting lessons...and especially stepping in to "help out" by actually throwing pitches...but that is another topic!
GoldElite

by big blue nation » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:27 am

Gold elite, do you really understand pitch calling? Isn't pitch location and pitch calls all a part of pitching. You have to understand both parts to be a good pitch caller! Sounds to me like someone is envious of another teams coach being given some credit!! This sounds like something that would come from a University of Florida team knockoff!!! Let your ego take a break!!
big blue nation

by GoldElite » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:17 pm

Hahahaha....good one

But I do understand pitch calling. My point was, at 10u, isn't it more about developing the pitcher and hitting the spots or locations? And, yes, those spots or locations are called by the "pitch caller". I was questioning if a 10u pitcher really had much in the way of pitches...curve, screw, rise, etc. I would imagine the bullet and change up are learned pretty quickly. But the others would take more time (plus distance) to develop. So, again, my point was at 10u you are most likely just calling locations.

Oh, and speaking of teams with University Knockoff names, when are tryouts for your newly formed UnderSKilled Wildcats?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
uk.jpg
uk.jpg (5.22 KiB) Viewed 5455 times
GoldElite

by flashdad » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:40 am

I think I sense a little sarcasm in the last message...but it is more than just calling pitches. Especially at the younger ages. Because it is easier for them to lose focus on the task at hand. A good "bucket man" not only can balance the situation of the game with the strength's and weaknesses of the hitter....but also knowing the pitcher's favorite pitches and most effective pitches and when they are beginning to get somewhat bored with fastballs and locations. You have to keep the pitcher engaged. After watching years and years of travel softball and high levels, I don't think you can underestimate the value of a pitch caller. At least one who really takes it seriously.
There is one more thing that a good pitch caller has to factor in....what is mom and dad's favorite pitch?
flashdad

by Mavrick67 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:18 am

I see that this site has not changed a bit, someone starts an interesting thread and it becomes a big argument about who has the bigger junk!

For what it is worth I don't think anyone can be considered a great pitch caller until they have coached in the big tourney's for the older age groups where you really have to think around great hitters. There are many things that go into being a great pitch caller (none more important than good pitchers) but I have never played against a team with a better pitch caller than Chad Greene of the Dreams (Montgomery). He is hard on players and holds them accountable, and might not be everyones cup of tea but he is the best I have seen at reading hitters and working with what his pitcher has to offer.

My 2 cents, let the bashing continue!
Mavrick67

by GoldElite » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:21 pm

Mavrick67 wrote:...but I have never played against a team with a better pitch caller than Chad Greene of the Dreams (Montgomery). He is hard on players and holds them accountable, and might not be everyones cup of tea but he is the best I have seen at reading hitters and working with what his pitcher has to offer.

My 2 cents, let the bashing continue!

Thanks for your two cents Chad :lol:
GoldElite

Next

Return to IN