Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IN

new highschool rule

by patches » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:56 pm

Rule 15-1 and 15-1.2 During Authorized Contest Season

b. Student – athletes may receive private lessons so long as:

ADDITION TO THE RULE

4. any Sunday lesson is one-on-one, with a single teammate participating in the lesson (Note: see rule 9-13 regarding Sunday practice)

This is in addition to the other sections of the rule.

how will people deal with this new rule
patches

by slapperdad » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:53 am

I will see Sandy Sunday I can inquire the thinking behind this. Looks to me like they're wanting to get rid of private instruction during the season.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by patches » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:54 am

I was told teams were paying for
lessons and then holding practice so they made the rule
patches

by slapperdad » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:55 pm

I would be interested to know if that was actually happening? To the best of my knowledge none if my high school kids were involved in anything of that nature, I try to make the rules perfectly clear to them. When I was still involved in TB we shut it down, per the rules. Curious if this was widespread, or isolated.
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
slapperdad

by patches » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:40 pm

I dont think it was one sport that made this happen but a combination of sports
patches

by softballalum » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:26 am

Dumb Rule all the way around. Most High School Coaches don't teach hitting. Practices are comprised of kids doing T work and hitting with other kids. Many High School Softball Coaches get the Head Coaching position out of default. Travel kids need to have their fundamentals reinforced thru the season and doubtful any of them care or pay attention to flaws in others batters' technique. As there are so few quality hitting instrutors and with the added rule all have to be from the same school, the smaller schools or with fewer travel players further get penalized. Even if the opportunity present themselves in a high school contest with two players being common foes, its hardly imaginable they care or recall how to pitch to a certain player. Feel bad for all the Travel players who want to better/maintain their skills but are now at a disadvantage for this sole viewed reason for not mixing travel players at hititng sessions. If the other reason is to minimize the time students devote to softball, seems their GPA and own discretion should be the measuring stick. Find it especially humorous that if the IHSAA rules such as this is to be questioned, the path is thru the High School Principals'and their desire to request a rule change. As if they aren't busy enough and know enough let alone even care to challenge. Not a fan of the OBAMA Rule. OTHER BATTERS ASKED to be MARGINALIZED AGAIN.
softballalum

by Kidcanhit02 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:37 am

The rule seems really unfair. Not only unfair to the serious players who want to continue lessons during their season but the instructors who make some form of a living giving the lessons. Typically I would think an instructor would combine the hitters from the same high school or mix high school girls with younger hitters who are not in high school yet. This appears to be forcing one on one instruction. This thus becomes nearly impossible from a cost and time standpoint for both instructor and student. Am I reading the rule wrong?

You say the rule is applicable to all sports not specific to softball? That is also unfair. I would see how a smaller sport like basketball could end in a team practice after instruction. Very few hitting instructors have facilities to house a team practice. In addition how many high schools have a team of girls that all use the same instructor?

Is it me or does the IHSAA have some issue with travel athletics? The different policies seem to border on oppressing and harassing travel athletes during the specific HS season. Do other states have similar rules?

I want to be excited the prospect of my daughter playing high school softball in a couple of years. I must say, however, the IHSAA makes the thought of HS softball less and less exciting.
Kidcanhit02
Premium Member
Premium Member

by slapperdad » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:50 pm

Spazsdad wrote:So in IN are you not allowed to even practice with your TB team during HS?

That is correct Spaz. High school practice starts 3-10 this year, no contact with your travel team after 3-9, until your high school team is eliminated from the tournament. Late May to early June depending on how far they go in the tournament.
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
slapperdad

by DLauck » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:34 am

If the Dad (or mom) says it's a dumb rule, and will adversely affect their dd, then the dd will think that way as well. We'll tell our HS kids the rule will affect them if they allow it to.
DLauck

by Amish_TB » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:56 am

slapperdad wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:So in IN are you not allowed to even practice with your TB team during HS?

That is correct Spaz. High school practice starts 3-10 this year, no contact with your travel team after 3-9, until your high school team is eliminated from the tournament. Late May to early June depending on how far they go in the tournament.

This is not quite true. Per rule 15-2.2 it reads:

During School Year Out of Season – The school year covers all time from Monday of Week 5, to the last day of the school year, excluding summer school. During the School Year Out of Season for softball includes all time from Monday of Week 5 (August 5, 2013) up until the first day of the softball Authorized Contest Season (March 24, 2014).

In Indiana (If I am reading the rule correctly), you are allowed to have contact with your travel team up until the first day of the softball Authorized Contest Season start date (March 24, 2014). This does not mean the School will permit it or look kindly upon it, but the there is no rule in place that says you are not allowed contact after 3-9. You in fact could have Sunday lessons with more than a one to one ratio up until 3/23/2014.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ihsaa.org%2FPortals%2F0%2Fgirls%2520sports%2Fsoftball%2FParticipation%2520Rules%2520For%2520Softball.pdf&ei=-GQXU4DnLoWIqwH9k4DQCg&usg=AFQjCNEhVw-6mYDdkvtv-W8smvSWh87MnQ&sig2=v9GB9Scl6HC717lakEnUfQ&bvm=bv.62286460,d.aWM&cad=rja
Amish_TB

Next

Return to IN