Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IN

new highschool rule

by slapperdad » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:18 am

Amish_TB wrote:
slapperdad wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:So in IN are you not allowed to even practice with your TB team during HS?

That is correct Spaz. High school practice starts 3-10 this year, no contact with your travel team after 3-9, until your high school team is eliminated from the tournament. Late May to early June depending on how far they go in the tournament.

This is not quite true. Per rule 15-2.2 it reads:

During School Year Out of Season – The school year covers all time from Monday of Week 5, to the last day of the school year, excluding summer school. During the School Year Out of Season for softball includes all time from Monday of Week 5 (August 5, 2013) up until the first day of the softball Authorized Contest Season (March 24, 2014).

In Indiana (If I am reading the rule correctly), you are allowed to have contact with your travel team up until the first day of the softball Authorized Contest Season start date (March 24, 2014). This does not mean the School will permit it or look kindly upon it, but the there is no rule in place that says you are not allowed contact after 3-9. You in fact could have Sunday lessons with more than a one to one ratio up until 3/23/2014.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ihsaa.org%2FPortals%2F0%2Fgirls%2520sports%2Fsoftball%2FParticipation%2520Rules%2520For%2520Softball.pdf&ei=-GQXU4DnLoWIqwH9k4DQCg&usg=AFQjCNEhVw-6mYDdkvtv-W8smvSWh87MnQ&sig2=v9GB9Scl6HC717lakEnUfQ&bvm=bv.62286460,d.aWM&cad=rja

What's not right about what I said? In school, in season begins the first day of practice, 3-10 this year or week 36 of the IHSAA calendar this year. The IHSAA throws the term "spirit of the rules" around a lot, google that.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by Amish_TB » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:08 am

slapperdad wrote:What's not right about what I said? In school, in season begins the first day of practice, 3-10 this year or week 36 of the IHSAA calendar this year. The IHSAA throws the term "spirit of the rules" around a lot, google that.

The rules do not say the season starts on the first day of practice. The rules clearly define the first day of Softball (Authorized Contest Season) as March 24th. It also clearly defines the During the School year out of Season is from August 5, 2013 thru March 24th, 2014. I have no idea nor do I care what the rules have said in the past, but the rules as published by IHSAA for the 2014 Softball Season clearly define the dates as to what a player can or cannot do on a Sunday through certain dates. Now if you can produce a different rule that is publicized for the 2014 season that proves me wrong, then have at it. I didn't google my rules, they are easily found on the IHSAA website.
Amish_TB

by sjjjbugs » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:29 am

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a game limit on players. I saw in the IHSAA rules that there is a limit on how many games a team can schedule, but I didn't see anything on individual players. My daughter is a freshman that is going to have to play both jv and varsity and I didn't know how that worked.
Thanks
sjjjbugs

by The_Coach_Bub » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:53 pm

Re: new highschool rule

by sjjjbugs » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:29 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a game limit on players. I saw in the IHSAA rules that there is a limit on how many games a team can schedule, but I didn't see anything on individual players. My daughter is a freshman that is going to have to play both jv and varsity and I didn't know how that worked.
Thanks

A players name can appear in the batting order for 28 games. Doesn't matter if it's varsity JV or freshman ball. If the player only on courteous runs that game does not count because their name will not appear in the batting order.
The_Coach_Bub

by Amish_TB » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:34 am

The rule also states that being a pinch hitter and pinch runner do not count at the varsity level towards the game limit. I find the pinch hitter/runner rule interesting.
Amish_TB

by sjjjbugs » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:36 am

Amish_TB wrote:The rule also states that being a pinch hitter and pinch runner do not count at the varsity level towards the game limit. I find the pinch hitter/runner rule interesting.

So does that mean if she comes in as a pinch hitter, but then stays in the game, it counts toward her game count, but if she does not go into the defensive lineup after pinch hitting, it does not? That seems a little odd.
sjjjbugs

by RetiredDI » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:22 am

softballalum wrote:Dumb Rule all the way around. Most High School Coaches don't teach hitting. Practices are comprised of kids doing T work and hitting with other kids. Many High School Softball Coaches get the Head Coaching position out of default. Travel kids need to have their fundamentals reinforced thru the season and doubtful any of them care or pay attention to flaws in others batters' technique. As there are so few quality hitting instrutors and with the added rule all have to be from the same school, the smaller schools or with fewer travel players further get penalized. Even if the opportunity present themselves in a high school contest with two players being common foes, its hardly imaginable they care or recall how to pitch to a certain player. Feel bad for all the Travel players who want to better/maintain their skills but are now at a disadvantage for this sole viewed reason for not mixing travel players at hititng sessions. If the other reason is to minimize the time students devote to softball, seems their GPA and own discretion should be the measuring stick. Find it especially humorous that if the IHSAA rules such as this is to be questioned, the path is thru the High School Principals'and their desire to request a rule change. As if they aren't busy enough and know enough let alone even care to challenge. Not a fan of the OBAMA Rule. OTHER BATTERS ASKED to be MARGINALIZED AGAIN.

I could not agree with you any more on this! I have never understood this dumb rule. I promise, I have never recalled another batter's technique or their trouble areas when I played against them. And I highly doubt any of them recalled my bad habits either. But you said it best by referring this rule as the Obama rule :lol: :lol: :lol:
RetiredDI

Previous

Return to IN