Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IN

TOP 16U TEAMS

by 1998 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:42 am

I have a question if someone could help me understand and maybe the their is a simple answer.
Let me preface this by saying it is just for my knoweledge and it has nothing to do with the team mentioned above. Makes no difference whether they have 3 or 12 college commits to me nor do I question the validity of whether they do or not.

Am I correct in saying that IHSAA rules mandate that a softball player can not communicate with D1 coaches until the start of their Junior year?

This is why I am confused that 16u players would have commits to D1 programs (Unless they are young juniors in their 2nd year of 16u). Which could be the simple answer I was looking for.

Still confusing as I would think a D1 level, 2nd year 16 would play 18u.

by slapperdad » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:21 pm

IHSAA by-laws do not govern communications with affiliated high school athletes and college coaches. NCAA rules do however.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by 10GatorCoach » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:24 pm

They communicate through travel coaches.
10GatorCoach

by RetiredDI » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:07 pm

1998 wrote:I have a question if someone could help me understand and maybe the their is a simple answer.
Let me preface this by saying it is just for my knoweledge and it has nothing to do with the team mentioned above. Makes no difference whether they have 3 or 12 college commits to me nor do I question the validity of whether they do or not.

Am I correct in saying that IHSAA rules mandate that a softball player can not communicate with D1 coaches until the start of their Junior year?

This is why I am confused that 16u players would have commits to D1 programs (Unless they are young juniors in their 2nd year of 16u). Which could be the simple answer I was looking for.

Still confusing as I would think a D1 level, 2nd year 16 would play 18u.

IHSAA has no real say in recruiting rules or regulations. The NCAA regulates this. But softball players may communicate ONE way with colleges up until entering their junior year and this may change soon. Camps, travel ball coaches, and exposure tournaments are where these girls are seen and signed. A college coach and speak to a travel coach as much as they would like and about anything they would like. This is how verbals happen.

As for a 2nd year 16u player should or would play 18s if you think about it.. remaining in 16u is the best decision why you might ask? College coaches recruit from 16u teams because they ASSUME the girls on 18u teams are already committed and if they aren't, they there is a reason they aren't committed yet (grades, attitude, talent). Bigger schools don't have the time to scope out the diamonds in a rough. Plus from my experience 16u players seem to have more drive and determination as well. (Not saying an 18u player doesn't, I'm purely speaking from MY own experiences).
RetiredDI

by softballrebels » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:52 am

Girls being recruited generally are calling the coaches as freshman, sophomores and juniors. They can verbal early because they can talk with the coaches daily as long as they initiate the contact.

As for 16's vs. 18's....I think you should just try to play on the most competitive team you can find with the goal of playing the best competition. There are no secrets in softball... the coaches will recruit you whether you are on a 16 or 18U team because the player and/or her travel coach will have been in contact with the coaches...They show up to watch if they are interested and have been invited regardless of whether you are playing 16U or 18U. There are plenty of young freshman and sophomores that play 18U and still get recruited because they do the work to initiate the contacts...
softballrebels

Previous

Return to IN