Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IN

ASU!! Bush league

by snoop » Thu May 30, 2013 6:25 pm

Stop calling out the pitch you think is coming!! It's not working and you look like an idiot!! This isn't rec ball or "travel" as it's now being played!!
snoop

by 10GatorCoach » Thu May 30, 2013 6:45 pm

Saw the same thing last weekend at Mizzou. Both Coach E and Tarr were picking pitches on and off all game. I have no problem with it if ON THE FIELD (ie. coach). You can watch pretty much all of the coaches at the WCWS watching intently to try and pick their pitches. However, you still have to hit it and they are not being very successful w/ that part..... :o

The BUSH LEAGUE comes in when parents sit outside fence and start trying to call locations out to their daughters. God forbid they should learn how to read a pitch at 10/12/14U.......................... :roll:
10GatorCoach

by snoop » Thu May 30, 2013 7:00 pm

They won't learn!! That's your job!! ;)
snoop

by 10GatorCoach » Thu May 30, 2013 7:04 pm

:D
10GatorCoach

by slapperdad » Fri May 31, 2013 7:13 am

We have a coach in our conference who does this. Personally I think it's bush league as hell.

On the other hand I have to wonder how much good it actually does. I've got a kid on my team who's a pretty good hitter. She just finished her high school career with 397 consecutive plate appearance without a K. I asked her what she thought about the coach calling pitches, or pitch location during the AB. She said first of all I'd never hear it. She said she's so focused seeing the ball out of hand, she doesn't think she hears anything, if she does it doesn't register. She went on to tell me I don't pay attention if someone's on second signaling catcher location. "I can feel where the catcher is moving to, I would rather just see the ball and react to it."

I think what it does do more than anything is get the D off their game. I've seen it with our kids, they start worrying about the coach calling out pitch location and start worrying more about that than playing their game.

In my opinion it's still bush league, coach your players in practice, and let them play the game.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

Return to IN