Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IN

player eligibility

by clayface74 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:19 pm

I have asked similar questions on here before about players from the same school playing together in the off season offsite. I understand there is a limit of 5. But I am unsure about students who did not participate during the school season.
Senario 1.
5 players from same varsity team same school etc...PLayed 2012/2013 school season. I would like to add 2 more players who did not participate 2012/2013 school year, but did play 2011/2012 school season.

Is this possible without breaking/bending some rules?

During School Year Out‐of‐Season
They do not participate in a team sport contest as a member of a non‐school team where there are more than the
following number of students listed below in each sport, including incoming freshmen, who have participated the
previous year
in a contest as a member of their school team in that sport.
Basketball ‐ 3 Baseball ‐ 5 Football ‐ 6
Volleyball ‐ 3 Softball ‐ 5 Soccer ‐ 6
They do not receive instruction in a team sport from individuals who are members of your high school coaching staff
(Exception: open facility).

Is there room for interpretation?
clayface74

by slapperdad » Wed May 29, 2013 7:26 pm

Clayface, what happened is irrelevant. Will they be on the same high team in the 13-14 school year. As soon as their high season is over, the 12-13 school year is over. This applies to incoming freshmen as well.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by clayface74 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:47 pm

they will be on the same high team 13/14.

But I read the rule this way since incoming freshman do not apply.

They do not participate in a team sport contest as a member of a non‐school team where there are more than the
following number of students listed below in each sport who have participated the
previous year in a contest as a member of their school team in that sport.

That is why I ask if it is an interpretation.
clayface74

by slapperdad » Thu May 30, 2013 3:22 am

During School Year Out‐of‐Season
following number of students listed below in each sport, including incoming freshmen, who have participated the
Basketball ‐ 3 Baseball ‐ 5 Football ‐ 6
Volleyball ‐ 3 Softball ‐ 5 Soccer ‐ 6
They do not receive instruction in a team sport from individuals who are members of your high school coaching staff
(Exception: open facility).

Incoming freshmen do apply.

That's the IHSAA's interpretation, and ultimately they're the only opinion that matters. Don't take my word for, contact your AD. He's "should" know the rules, if not he knows who to contact. Did you take this excerpt from the current by-laws, the wording looks a little off?
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
slapperdad

by clayface74 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:33 am

I deleted the incoming freshman wording. It was purely grammatical for my application. I am not interested in incoming freshman. I should have ben more clear. I am looking at a senior and junior who did not play this season, but want to come play again next season. Sorry for the confusion.

students listed below in each sport, including incoming freshmen, who have participated the

Previous year is the key isnt it? Thanks for your help on this Slapperdad!! It is appreciated.
clayface74

by brevercomb » Thu May 30, 2013 6:10 am

@ Slapperdad - so does Rule 15-3 in the IHSAA Participation Rules for Softball (During Summer) allow for more than 5 players from the same team to play together from Monday, June 3, 2013 thru Monday, August 5, 2013?

I am reading this on the following link:

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/girls%20 ... ftball.pdf
brevercomb

by slapperdad » Thu May 30, 2013 8:47 am

clayface74 wrote:I deleted the incoming freshman wording. It was purely grammatical for my application. I am not interested in incoming freshman. I should have ben more clear. I am looking at a senior and junior who did not play this season, but want to come play again next season. Sorry for the confusion.

students listed below in each sport, including incoming freshmen, who have participated the

Previous year is the key isnt it? Thanks for your help on this Slapperdad!! It is appreciated.

Previous year is irrelevant. It's about 2013-2014 at this point. If you have more than 5 players that will be on the same high school team in March 2014, participating after week 5 (The IHSAA Calendar, August 4th for the rest of us) you will be in violation. Last year, the season that just ended is irrelevant. That's why I'm saying, incoming freshmen do apply, they didn't play last year, but they will this year. Suppose it's a junior who didn't play last year, but she will next year, it's the same thing.

Slapperdad - so does Rule 15-3 in the IHSAA Participation Rules for Softball (During Summer) allow for more than 5 players from the same team to play together from Monday, June 3, 2013 thru Monday, August 5, 2013?

Rule 15-3 does apply, but after the season's over, essentially you are "out of school out of season" There are no limits until week 5, other than moratorium week, where you can't have any contact with high school coaches. If someone else is coaching them, there are really no limits.

I think the gist of this rule, is to keep high school coaches from keeping their teams together and playing year round. Keep in mind this is across the board, not just Softball. I don't necessarily disagree with the intent of the rule, I just think it could be tweaked a little to be a little more user friendly. I can guarantee you there's not a high school Baseball or Softball team, who's not breaking the rules with open gyms when January gets here.
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
slapperdad

by clayface74 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:26 pm

thanks for the help!
clayface74

Return to IN