Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IN

2013 IHSAA State Tournament Talk

by brevercomb » Thu May 09, 2013 7:49 am

What does everyone think of the sectional draw for this year's state tournament?

Does anyone have any thoughts on drawing the teams based on seeding them like we do in travel ball?

You can find the brackets here: http://www.ihsaa.org/Sports/Girls/Softb ... fault.aspx
brevercomb

by slapperdad » Thu May 09, 2013 8:47 am

The IHSAA is sold on a random draw, that will not change in any of our lifetimes.

CG draws FC in the bye round. Roncalli draws Cathedral in the bye round. I guess the good news is you drew the bye.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by softball_rules5 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:02 am

Have always thought the way the IHSAA handles the state tournament (basketball, softball, etc) with the blind draw is absolutely stupid. Basically, the IHSAA says that your regular season means nothing because we are going to draw it out of a hat. Why not just practice and play scrimmages all spring and then play a state tournament? Seeding would be very easy and the mystique of who comes out of the hat next is totally lame. Then again, a lot of what the IHSAA does doesn't make a lot of sense. Make the regular season mean something, and seed the sectionals. Heck, you could seed individual teams in the sectional and then seed the sectionals as a whole to have seed feeding into regionals.
softball_rules5

by brevercomb » Thu May 09, 2013 11:04 am

I am not real happy about the Noblesville/HSE matchup in Sectional 8. Two of the top ten teams shouldn't play in the first round. My opinion....
brevercomb

by dailyjoy » Thu May 09, 2013 3:44 pm

SB Riley and Penn play first game as well.
dailyjoy

by slapperdad » Thu May 09, 2013 7:11 pm

brevercomb wrote:I am not real happy about the Noblesville/HSE matchup in Sectional 8. Two of the top ten teams shouldn't play in the first round. My opinion....

When should they play?
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
slapperdad

by brevercomb » Thu May 09, 2013 8:56 pm

@ slaperdad - IMO...the best team(s) should be awarded the opportunity to play for championships not first round exits. While any team can win on any given day, would you agree that in Sectional 8 the seeding would be HSE, Noblesville, Fishers, Carmel, North Central, Zionsville and then Westfield? This rewards HSE for being the best team (record wise) and would at least setup having the two best team meet in the sectional final. I use Sectional 8 because that is the one that Noblesville is in and I live here. I am not loking to avoid HSE and hope they get beat before the final but rather hope they are there for competition sake when the final comes around. I like rewarding the team that perform throughout the season and allow them the best chance to reach a championship level event. In the end it doesn't really matter but I think the IHSAA could do it better. I feel this way about all of the high school sports. Every football season there are two top ten teams that play each other in week one of sectionals......that should have the chance to be played in week three.
brevercomb

by slapperdad » Fri May 10, 2013 3:42 am

How should they be seeded? Sagarin rankings? Poll rankings? Let the coaches sort it out? Let us on Heybucket rank em'?
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
slapperdad

by GoldElite » Fri May 10, 2013 4:09 am

slapperdad wrote:How should they be seeded? Sagarin rankings? Poll rankings? Let the coaches sort it out? Let us on Heybucket rank em'?

There should be a State wide tournament with all the teams. The order of finish would determine their seeding for Sectionals :D
GoldElite

by softball_rules5 » Fri May 10, 2013 4:54 am

Illinois does a seeding for their regionals (Indiana's sectional, those backwards folks) and they have done it in every sport for years. Used to be coaches would go to a seeding meeting two weeks before the end of the season. Very few arguments, and the ones that did occur lasted about 5 minutes and were between the two teams in the middle arguing who should feed to the 2 and 1 seeds respectively. Now it is all done on computers using schedules. Being in sectionals should mean relatively common opponents. Creating a Sagarin to compliment would not be a huge deal. IHSAA needs to enter the new millenium and try out these new fangled things called the internet and computers. Reward teams and players for the accomplishments they have achieved throughout the season.
softball_rules5

Next

Return to IN