Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IN

2013 IHSAA State Tournament Talk

by RetiredDI » Fri May 24, 2013 9:56 am

Personally I've always thought drawing from a hat was dumb. To put it nicely. Drawing from a hat causes some of the top teams in each sectional to knock each other out VERY early in the competition. In the end you'll end up with one of the worst teams in the sectional vs the best team for the title... and lets face it, who wants to watch a game that ends up being a 10-0 game?

I think we should look at the Women's College World Series. Don't rank teams based off win-lose record. Rather rank them based off RPI, ranking teams based off the competition level would work wonders and ENCOURAGE these big 4A schools to start playing against higher ranked teams (instead of beating up on all these small schools just to pat their stats).
RetiredDI

by slapperdad » Fri May 24, 2013 10:39 am

RetiredD1, I think we've covered the draw situation from all angles, see the first two pages of this thread.

I have to ask, which big 4A schools are beating up on these smaller schools, just to "pat" (pad) their stats?
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by Springer » Fri May 24, 2013 4:11 pm

Noblesville...... How else would they get into the top 10 ranking! :o
Springer

by Dark Angel Coach » Fri May 24, 2013 7:30 pm

HSE over Zionsville 4-1
Dark Angel Coach

by RetiredDI » Sat May 25, 2013 7:56 am

Fellas, there's a lot more schools in Indiana than just around your area. Look up the top 20 schools in 4A, now look at who they play. Sure they play some tuff competition but they sure don't forget to add a few 1 & 2As to their schedule. Some say "it's to build confidence!" Which heck I believe that but towards the middle or end of the season and you've played 10+ schools that are to build "confidence".... I start leaning towards its a great way for those bigger schools to get their winning % up, boost that win/loss record, and make those girls stats even better. I'm not saying they don't deserve it. But in the end it's only high school, the best of the best play real travel ball. Look at the Indianapolis Star, what's their ratings off for top BA, HR, RBI, ERA.... etc. they base if off how many games played. Not off WHO you've played.

As for Slapperdad yes I read the thread. I also like to state a few things prior to stating my thoughts and opinions to show how I came to my conclusion and to support it.
RetiredDI

by slapperdad » Sat May 25, 2013 6:12 pm

Fellas, there's a lot more schools in Indiana than just around your area.

Having been involved in high school sports for 35+ years I think I have a pretty good grasp of that.

Look up the top 20 schools in 4A, now look at who they play. Sure they play some tuff competition but they sure don't forget to add a few 1 & 2As to their schedule.

First of all, it's really not that important for me to actually look it all up myself. I thought you'd throw us a bone and name some names.

Some say "it's to build confidence!" Which heck I believe that but towards the middle or end of the season and you've played 10+ schools that are to build "confidence"....

I'm not privvy to how everyone's schedule is done. I know I have a lot of input into my schedule, and I've changed it drastically in my tenure. But I know other coaches have zero input, or they have an AD who isn't interested in messing with the status quo. Whatever the case, I don't really worry about other programs, I've obviously got my hands full worrying about mine.

I start leaning towards its a great way for those bigger schools to get their winning % up, boost that win/loss record, and make those girls stats even better.

So you're telling us that a coach or AD, actually have the thought process, lets drop A who's good and is very competitive with us, and pick up B who we can dominate and pad our girls stats for whatever reason?

I'm not saying they don't deserve it. But in the end it's only high school, the best of the best play real travel ball. Look at the Indianapolis Star, what's their ratings off for top BA, HR, RBI, ERA.... etc. they base if off how many games played. Not off WHO you've played.

So on the one hand, you're upset about stats being padded and on the other hand, it's only high school ball so who cares? You can't have it both ways. The Indy Star's high school coverage to be kind has always let a lot to be desired in my opinion. I guess my life's a lot less stressful because I don't read it.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by HoosierBBall » Sat May 25, 2013 8:07 pm

THERE'S NO GAURANTEES and that's why we play the game. That's what makes high school and college sports so great. Anybody can win on any given day.
HoosierBBall

by HoosierBBall » Sat May 25, 2013 8:09 pm

"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here".... One of the best lines ever!
HoosierBBall

by HoosierBBall » Sat May 25, 2013 8:23 pm

Portage beats Hobart 6-5 in the sectional championship ... hey wait a minute... wasn't Crown Point suppose to play Chesterton for the championship..... :o
HoosierBBall

by softball65 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:12 am

Springer wrote:Noblesville...... How else would they get into the top 10 ranking! :o

I can't really speak to this other than to say I went to the Noblesville vs HSE sectional game and was underwhelmed with Noblesville. They have some kids that can play though.
softball65

PreviousNext

Return to IN