Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IN

Pitching

by Clay » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:29 am

My DD is 9 and wants to pitch. I know there are alot of coaches.
Does anyone have any personal time with Sharon Palma and what do you think?
Clay

by YFlyer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:49 am

I know of two friends that take their daughters to Sharon. She is very talented and is great with the girls. I've been at the RAM facility while she was giving lessons and have observed her. I think you will be highly pleased with her. My daughter goes to Keith Smith at Champions Edge. We have been very happy with him. However, I've recommended Sharon to several girls that live on the northside.
YFlyer

by brevercomb » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:52 am

My daughter currently goes to Sharon Palma and she absolutley loves her. It was her decision to make because I liked what her previous coach and what Sharon both teach. My daughter was more confortable with Sharon. She works really well with all age groups and has experience not only coaching but playing the game as well. She teaches how to approach the game as a pitcher menatlly and stresses proper mechanics. I think she has a new a different style than other coaches.
brevercomb

by Clay » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:44 am

O.k
After a week I have a list of instructors. We are not only looking for good mechanics but also someone to teach her how to prepare,conduct herself when things are not going so good. Here is a list of supposed great instructors. Please tell me what you think. Palma, Flack, Bunn, Feld, Clutch. We need someone that is great and not just about getting our money.

Thanks
Clay

by Tyler Durden » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:11 am

I hear Feld is having a lot of success.
VETERANS....ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL
Tyler Durden
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Tyler Durden » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:18 am

Clay I would suggest that as your daughter pursues pitching lessons, you make sure that she continues to work on other defensive skill sets. As your daughter gets older, you will be seeing MANY girls that have put all of their eggs in the Pitching basket, and then around 16U have sadly found out that they don't have the physical/mental aspects to succeed in the circle. By then, many of these same girls no longer have the skills to play elsewhere, and they are out of luck. Don't let her be a one-trick pony until you know she has the goods. Keep in mind that 10U or 12U dominance is not necessarily the proof you will need.
Tyler Durden
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Clay » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:25 am

Thank you Tyler. She is working hard on defense and bat.
Clay

by sporter » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:09 am

We have been using Dennis Flax and have been having great success. My daughter just turned 11 and started with Dennis in the fall of the year. We basically have been doing ½ hour lessons once a week. He is great on the fundamentals and getting the girls the total package of using the legs and finish together. He really gets them to place the ball where they want. I like his movement pitches that he teaches: drop-curve, peel drop, change-up. He is the right balance of encouraging and demanding. These movement pitches will come more in play for 12" balls and 12U.

I have recommended him to others and some have stuck with him and others have moved on to the other coaches you mention. You really just need to find someone that gets results with your daughter. If she is struggling to improve move on don’t pay the money if it is not working. My daughter played in first tournament this year and had 60 K’s in six games so that is enough for me. Dennis works for her.
sporter

by Clay » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:31 am

Sporter,
Thanks for the reply. I think we will have to just go and see them all and see what we come up with.
Clay

by Tyler Durden » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:08 pm

sporter wrote:We have been using Dennis Flax and have been having great success. My daughter just turned 11 and started with Dennis in the fall of the year. We basically have been doing ½ hour lessons once a week. He is great on the fundamentals and getting the girls the total package of using the legs and finish together. He really gets them to place the ball where they want. I like his movement pitches that he teaches: drop-curve, peel drop, change-up. He is the right balance of encouraging and demanding. These movement pitches will come more in play for 12" balls and 12U.

I have recommended him to others and some have stuck with him and others have moved on to the other coaches you mention. You really just need to find someone that gets results with your daughter. If she is struggling to improve move on don’t pay the money if it is not working. My daughter played in first tournament this year and had 60 K’s in six games so that is enough for me. Dennis works for her.

Phjapo, is that you? Or is there another new-HB member Indiana 10U dad with a weekend 6 game, 60K daughter? What are the odds? I wouldn't blame you for the screen name change, 'Phjapo' was probably best abandoned after its inaugural run.
Tyler Durden
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to IN