Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IN

fall 2008 16u

by jag1 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:00 pm

I think that the parity we saw last year at 14u is going to carry over to 16u..! Why anyone would think that the younger teams can't compete must be blind...( the Dreams '94 ARE a 14u team..) There were 5-6 14u teams last year that competed very well in every one of the 16u tournaments they played in, and the Shockwaves '93 (a first year 16u team) should own the division..! If I were on a second year 16u team, I would definitely be looking over my shoulder at the newcomers... :lol:
jag1

by Canocorn » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:56 pm

If you consider the Shockwaves93 a first year team.

Then the Chaos (Conklin) are a first year team, same for the Gators and Akadema should be considered a 14U team because they also have 14U's on the team.

The only true 2nd year might be the Chix.
Canocorn

by jag1 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:04 pm

let me do the math for you...... for a team comprised of all '93 birthdays, 2009 will be their first year that they are required to play 16u. For a team of all '94's, they are still eligible to play 14u in '09..! You may be having a hard time comprehending how a team full of 14 year olds can beat a team full of 16 year olds, but it happens..............and there are plenty of teams with 15 year olds that it may happen more..! :lol:
jag1

by Canocorn » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:53 am

I understand the math. But I know that the Shockwaves93 have at least half of their team as 2nd year(meaning 92). And from what you are saying, the Dreams do not have a single girl on their team that has a 93 bday. My point being, just because it says 93 or 94 or 91 in the name of the team, does not necessary constitute that all players are born in the year. So even if the Dreams have 9 14 year olds, and 3 15 year olds, that is a 16U team. Because without those three 15 y/o they probably wouldn't be as good as a team. So with that rational, the Chaos could call themselves Chaos93 and Akadema could call themselves Akadema94. The best example is Xtreme91, go look and see how many where born in 91. They have three. But the name Xtreme91 started 8 or 10 years ago, when they probably had all 91 birthdays. Not trying to be an a*% but lets not say that a bunch of 14's are whipping 16's or 18's, because that is just not accurate.
Canocorn

by jag1 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:37 am

O.K.....point taken, I'll try and ease off the sarcasm..! lol! On two of our previous teams that used the year (So and SO '91....) all of the girls were born in '91........ ?
jag1

by bucketboy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:45 am

I have seen most of the teams that have been mentioned here play this fall and the 16u division is going to be a dogfight to see who gets to go to nationals.

If ego's could be put aside and teams would join forces in my humble opinion you could have a couple of teams that could contend for a national title at the ASA level.

Pitching depth is the big issue as it will take two or three good pitchers to get deep in a national event and I just don't see that with any team in 16u. Maybe those that do qualify will pick up an extra quality pitcher from one of teams that don't make it.

There are way too many 16u teams and only 4 or 5 are going to get to go to Sioux Falls and now that the qualifying events are going to compete with the big exposure weekends I feel sorry for the coaches that have to make the decision as to what direction they are going to go.

Do you go to the Compuware's, Music City Hits etc... and only have one or two chances to qualify or do you pass on all the exposure events and play all the qualifiers and hope to make it and risk not getting any exposure for your kids prior to nationals. Tough call to make and some people will be upset after it all.

My two cents for the best of both worlds would be to forego Diamonds of the North and play the South, State Games, a regional qualifier, and the State Tournament and maybe go to Colorado to get exposure if you can pull it off.

I am still scratching my head as to why the ASA state tournament is being run the same weekend as Stingrays and I am sure that policy of you have to play in the state tournament to secure your berth will be in place.

Oh well good luck to all of you and hopefully there will not be too many disappointed teams next summer that don't qualify.
bucketboy

by Canocorn » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:03 am

I agree completely with you on the ASA schedule. Our coach (and team) together made the committment to the exposure/showcase schedule. But the main lure for ASA is Nationals, which is a huge exposure event in itself. That is the only reason why we want to go. Its to the point were you have to chose which direction you want to do.

Here is our summer schedule: We have comfirmations on all of them. We also will have played 10 fall/winter tournaments driving all over gods creation. If she makes us attend the State tourney to go to SD, then I guess we wont be going.

Music City Hits - Tenn
ASA Diamonds of the South
ASA State Games
???
Ohio Stingrays - Columbus, Oh
Sparks Invitational Showcase - Elgin, Ill
???
???
Canocorn

by ballguy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:58 am

Looks to be a very nice schedule, I assume the ??? are 3 fill in weekends. If a person is looking at the ASA Nationals as a goal, and that goal is really a quality show case tourney, then why wouldn't a team play in many more showcase tourney's? A team would play in many tourneys and have many more chances to get exposure than just the ASA Nationals. Just a question. Trying to figure this whole ASA - Exposure Tourney war out.
ballguy

by Canocorn » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:44 pm

Yes the ???? are fill-ins. For the future of the players, the Showcase/Exposure route is the way to go. But qualifing for USA/ASA Nationals does carry weight on a players profile in the 16/18u age range. And the girls/parents have been conditioned over the years, that "Nationals" is the goal. So, to suddenly change that mindset and say we don't care about nationals, can be a tough sell to them and the parents. I know a couple of teams that do not play anything but showcases and scrimmages. Our coach has already formulated a game plan for next year 09/10 as far as playing colleges and the showcase curcuit.
Canocorn

by jag1 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:30 pm

our team has decided to go the "showcase" route. Even though we're optimistic about fielding a competitive first year 16u team, the reality is that there are only three berths avalible..! We have already been accepted to Compuware and are playing in at least 3 other exposure tournaments. ASA will have to wait until next year.............there is probably a dozen teams that have at least an outside shot for one of those three berths this year, but 3-4 teams would have to be the odds on favorites...!...( Pretty dicey..)
jag1

PreviousNext

Return to IN