Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Last minute drops from friendlies "Rude"

by ocarterok » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:48 pm

We don't give a lot of friendlies. I have to ask if this happens very often. Do teams drop after confirming they're coming? After receiving the schedule? Even when the teams are posted on Heybucket so there are
no surprises?

Now I don't mind when a team tells me when I ask them to confirm that they can't come. But after that, it's just rude.

This weekend it might rain, but that's not the point. Courtesy is. Does this happen all the time? I would like to hear about others experience and if there are any solutions to the problem. When we first got into travel 17 years ago, this rarely happened. This seems to be a trend now.
I've seen teams leave one friendly that we were playing in, Giving an
excuse only to see them on a list or play a sister team in another friendly. I always felt bad for the host when that happened.

Is this an acceptable practice to everyone now?
ocarterok
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sr_design » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:42 pm

We host about once a month and drops do seem a lot more prevalent than they were in the past. We get a lot of the "who's coming" question so I suppose that is a piece of it. Also more teams have smaller rosters than in the past so it probably doesn't take much for the team to have to drop - just one or two key position players unavailable for whatever reason.
sr_design
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ocarterok » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:40 pm

sr_design wrote:We host about once a month and drops do seem a lot more prevalent than they were in the past. We get a lot of the "who's coming" question so I suppose that is a piece of it. Also more teams have smaller rosters than in the past so it probably doesn't take much for the team to have to drop - just one or two key position players unavailable for whatever reason.

I can see some of that being the case. ie players getting hurt etc. But as far as using
"Who's coming " as an excuse? That doesn't fly. Most teams post who's coming on
Heybucket, so they know well in advance who they're playing. I realize things
happen beyond a team's control. But we have played teams that were in our sister
teams friendly that have dropped, gave an excuse only to show up
in the same friendly as us. No excuses for that, it's just bad manners.
ocarterok
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Nicelag » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:38 pm

I have seen teams that enter multiple friendlies on a specific day and pick the one they want after the schedule comes out. I agree, it is not right.
Nicelag

by PDad » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:32 pm

ocarterok wrote:
sr_design wrote:We host about once a month and drops do seem a lot more prevalent than they were in the past. We get a lot of the "who's coming" question so I suppose that is a piece of it.

But as far as using "Who's coming" as an excuse? That doesn't fly. Most teams post who's coming on Heybucket, so they know well in advance who they're playing. I realize things happen beyond a team's control. But we have played teams that were in our sister teams friendly that have dropped, gave an excuse only to show up in the same friendly as us. No excuses for that, it's just bad manners.

Knowing "Who's coming" doesn't mean you know who you're playing since you often don't play all the other teams. Hence, the schedule provides that key info.

That said, it's not right to back out because you don't like the schedule. Teams should be proactive and let the friendly org know what they want up front so the org can try to accommodate you (e.g. opponents, early/late games, game breaks*).

* Excessive game breaks were a pet peeve of mine.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Tue May 29, 2018 7:04 am

quite possibly no matter how you structure signing up for a friendly....
flaky will always be flaky regardless of the excuse!

if a team is short-handed due to illness or injury or even maybe someone quit their team at the last minute, reach out to the people hosting the friendly and usually there are several teams that would be happy to lend you a player for the game or the day. When teams back out at last minute they screw up a lot! better to show up and make a best go of it!

keep a list of the flakies and word-of-mouth will take care of them!
Hinky

by swampcat73 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:32 pm

What is worse than the drop out's are those who--and you know who you are--troll teams to sign up by listing teams (often top teams) who aren't actually coming. I have seen this done--again mostly by one very guilty party--time and time again. Finally our head coach put a stop to it by calling him and telling him to stop putting our team in events that we have no intention of attending. What's more, this is done in larger events like tournaments often costing $400-600! :roll:

If you can't pull the top teams the right way--through relationships and honesty, then settle for the teams you can pull. :oops:
swampcat73

Return to CA