Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

SoCal 10U teams

by ih8ddyball » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:59 pm

Fall season is coming to an end and the Spring Season has yet to begin. New 10U teams are going to be popping up left and right, but if you’re not a 1st year 10s team please don’t start up another team. The talent level is water down enough. I am pretty sure your kid can find a spot on one of the teams that is already out there.

Don’t fool yourself 10u is no longer developmental. Every coach has an ego and it’s all about winning. With all the money and time that is being spent on private lessons and Speed/Agility classes I’m surprised how bad some of these 10u teams are. SoCal has some of the best talent out there but we don’t have a dominate 10u team.

I noticed some 10u teams advertising their PGF invite to recruit new players. Not sure why PGF is handing out invites during the fall season when a lot of these teams have players that will have to move up to 12s in January.

I honestly don’t care who wins PGF at 10u as long as it is not a team from Texas or Tennessee. If PGF wants to hands out invites they should give each organization only 1 invite. Hopefully this will force some of those big organizations to put together an All Star type team at year end to compete against those out of state teams.

Below is a list of teams in alphabetical order that I wouldn’t mind hand picking kids from to start a new team...HAHA

BB-Garcia
BB-Townsend
Explosion
Power Surge
SCA-Briggs
SCA-Terrones/Medina
ih8ddyball

by Nicelag » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:52 pm

The funny thing about 10U travel is all of the coaches that leave rec ball because of "daddy ball" then proceed to start a travel team and play daddy ball. This year isn't quite as bad as last year as of yet. I think last year there were over 90 teams in So. Cal that cycled through 10U travel between September and July, and in my opinion you could probably count the quality coaches on two hands at best.

As stated the talent is extremely watered down, but I can just about guarantee that if So Cal built an all star team for PGF (using So Cal girls only) they would beat any of the multi state super teams built the past few years.
Nicelag

by Fastpitch4Life » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:16 pm

Nicelag wrote:The funny thing about 10U travel is all of the coaches that leave rec ball because of "daddy ball" then proceed to start a travel team and play daddy ball. This year isn't quite as bad as last year as of yet. I think last year there were over 90 teams in So. Cal that cycled through 10U travel between September and July, and in my opinion you could probably count the quality coaches on two hands at best.

As stated the talent is extremely watered down, but I can just about guarantee that if So Cal built an all star team for PGF (using So Cal girls only) they would beat any of the multi state super teams built the past few years.

It wasn't that long ago that OC Batbusters, Firecrackers, Gamers Academy, So Cal A's and Corona Angels only had 1 10U team and they were all very competitive. If your DD made one of the those teams, she was playing against the best of the best. $$ and the lure of "travel ball" and visions of college scholarships have driven kids out of developmental rec ball. You can no longer be sure that when you are playing a big org team that you are playing with top competition. Until the gravy train stops, the trend is going to continue.
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Nicelag » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:03 pm

Fastpitch4Life wrote:
Nicelag wrote:It wasn't that long ago that OC Batbusters, Firecrackers, Gamers Academy, So Cal A's and Corona Angels only had 1 10U team and they were all very competitive. If your DD made one of the those teams, she was playing against the best of the best. $$ and the lure of "travel ball" and visions of college scholarships have driven kids out of developmental rec ball. You can no longer be sure that when you are playing a big org team that you are playing with top competition. Until the gravy train stops, the trend is going to continue.

Well said. We have a few friends that played 10U travel for Campbell back in the day, and they said the same thing. There were only a handful of teams, and if you made one you were a player. No longer the case. Go to the Firecracker website and look at just the teams from So Cal down to San Diego. I believe there are over 90, and those are just the ones listed. Sad part is I don't see it stopping anytime soon.

We are in our second full year of travel and fortunate to be on a very good team. That being said it's still not quite as fun as all-stars if you are in a good program with good teams.

Nicelag

by Aloha76 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:23 am

10u is no different from the other age groups. There are competitive teams and there are some NOT SO competitive teams.

I could point to teams in the 12u and 14u division that should probably stay in rec. I don't think the problem is unique to the 10u age group.

I totally agree with the point that our top SoCal team would dominate if we assembled the players into a single team.
Aloha76

Return to CA