Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Hitting coach opinion

by adantew1965 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:29 pm

Why does everyone try to sound like an expert on hitting. All of the analytics in the world won't help a child if he/she is not talented. Find someone that has played softball at a high level and they will probably do just fine. Not everyone that goes to these Batbuster people hit over 500. And how many young ladies hit for average in high school and club ball but get to college and hit $2. It's just not that easy and some are more talented than others. See the ball (chin down), get your hands through the zone, use the bottom half and explode. And if your coach didn't and can't do it themselves, find somebody that did and can. Remember, the ones who didn't play are only teaching you stuff they learned from somebody who did. Good practice habits help as well.
adantew1965

by Mark H » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:49 pm

Yep. That's what I found out when I started looking around years ago trying to figure out how to help my kids hit. All these big resume players and coaches taught very different things. I finally decided to start comparing everything anyone taught to lots of video of elite hitters. I used that to sift through the "experts". I found very few who where teaching things that were not clearly disproved by a few minutes studying video clips.
Mark H

by adantew1965 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:38 am

I am not saying that non-athletes cannot teach or that great players make good coaches. But for parents to blame a coach, with years of playing and coaching experience, for their child's hitting woes, is ridiculous. Players sometimes don't connect or understand. That's OK! It'll come with experience. Our problem as parents is we don't have the patience to let it happen. If your child has the talent, he/she will get it done. And it won't be because of their hitting coach (coaches who never see the kid in live action). There are lots of people who can teach hitting and usually, it is just one simple thing that needs to be corrected. Only someone with playing experience understands that you don't over analyze...it just creates confusion. That's why I hate to hear parents barking instructions in the middle of a kid's at-bat. Trust me...they don't want to hear it.
adantew1965

by Mark H » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:30 am

adantew1965 wrote:I am not saying that non-athletes cannot teach or that great players make good coaches. But for parents to blame a coach, with years of playing and coaching experience, for their child's hitting woes, is ridiculous..

I blame them for taking money to teach things that a half hour of studying video of elite hitters would disprove.

adantew1965 wrote: Players sometimes don't connect or understand. That's OK! It'll come with experience. .
Or they will be one of the majority who drops out of the game along the way.

adantew1965 wrote: Our problem as parents is we don't have the patience to let it happen...
I'd say our problem as parents is we don't do the due diligence study to know for sure who we should let instruct our kid but instead trust resume or title.

adantew1965 wrote: If your child has the talent, he/she will get it done..

If your kid has good to great physical ability and a swing that takes .23 seconds instead of .13 seconds they will never hit good pitching. Why is hitting the only sport where people say it's all about talent rather than skill? I think it's because few have studied it enough to understand it. http://thetalentcode.com/

adantew1965 wrote: And it won't be because of their hitting coach (coaches who never see the kid in live action)..

Some do go see them in live action but setting that aside, yeah, most of the credit goes to the kid who out worked everyone. A bad swing can often beat a good swing if the good swing kid doesn't work hard. All a good instructor can do is shorten the trial and error process. In a brief youth athletic career, that can be huge.

adantew1965 wrote: There are lots of people who can teach hitting.
Well yeah, but most of them teach something that a short review of video of elite hitters will show to be horse puckey. As always, compare everything you hear about swinging a bat to lots of slow motion video of the best in the world.

adantew1965 wrote: Only someone with playing experience understands that you don't over analyze...it just creates confusion...
I'm pretty sure we all understand that concept.

adantew1965 wrote: That's why I hate to hear parents barking instructions in the middle of a kid's at-bat. Trust me...they don't want to hear it.

Yeah it's seldom in game instructions can help anything unless you are the one who works with their instruction and it's a reminder of something they already know and that should be kept to a minimum.
Mark H

by Chin Music » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:54 am

Studying video of elite hitters is a major tool for those who haven't done it. Not saying u don't anything but u come across as a know it all and all u keep referring to is to study video of elite hitters. Did that work for u? Did ur kid become an elite D1 hitter?
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Mark H » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:58 am

Chin Music wrote:Studying video of elite hitters is a major tool for those who haven't done it.
Agreed!

Chin Music wrote:Not saying u don't anything but u come across as a know it all
My apologies. It IS a failing of mine. I mean it the opposite actually. Don't take anything I say or anything anyone says as gospel. Always compare...etc.

Chin Music wrote:and all u keep referring to is to study video of elite hitters. Did that work for u? Did ur kid become an elite D1 hitter?
Figured it out too late I'm afraid. That being so, I hate to see other parents figure it out too late as well.
Mark H

by DonnieS » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:10 am

Mark's helped quite a few D1 kids, wish I could get him on site with me at the moment.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:29 am

I'm sure Mark is a great instructor. Seems like he's done his homework. I sense the passion he has for it.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Mark H » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:18 pm

Thanks. I wouldn't grade myself so high. Always learning. Only two people I haven't been able to catch saying something disagreeing with video of elite hitters are Nyman and Englishbey. Englishbey is available and has the heart of a teacher. Nyman has the heart of a researcher and isn't particularly available. What I know is either from listening to them or studying video.
Mark H

by Marcial24 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:45 pm

Most of the top hitters playing on elite teams that I know of are getting hitting lessons from either

1. Mike Schroder / Softball Workshop in Placentia
2. Mike Stith / STC in Anaheim
3. Mike Smith / EM in Rancho Cucamonga & STC Anaheim
4. Toni Mascarenas / STC Anaheim
5. Robert Young

:D
Marcial24
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to CA