CA

Best "03" teams in so cal

by Coach Glad » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:15 pm

Who are the top 5 "03" teams in So Cal.
Coach Glad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Dongers Army » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:39 pm

There should be plenty of opportunities for other teams to rise to the top but a few teams that based upon results this weekend deserve consideration:

SoCal 3D (PGF qualified)
Power Surge Bachtel (PGF qualified)
Mizuno Storm Mathis (PGF qualified)
Firecrackers Oakes (PGF qualified) - impressive 7 win run through the losers bracket

Batbusters Pantages (only losses to SoCal 3D and FC Oakes)
SC Athletics Suarez (only losses to BB Pantages and Mizuno)
Lakewood Hustlers (only losses to FC and PS)

Ohana Tigers Sanchez - outscored opponents 72 - 7 in 6 games at TCS March Madness

Those 8 teams would be my favorites to be included in a SoCal Top 5.
Dongers Army

by MrCoach » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:55 pm

Power Surge has to be considered one of the top if not thee top team. They had something to prove after getting beat down the week before.

3D is now a two time qualifying team. Sleeper no more.

FC Oakes was very impressive coming out of losers bracket. Showed tremendous resiliency.

Dirt Dog's Romero is still one of the top teams even after a poor showing at PGF.

Ohano Tigers Sanchez is lying in the weeds ready to pounce.

BTW, Mizuno Storm is from Arizona.
MrCoach

by SBforsure » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:22 pm

Here's my take on the Top 5 03' teams in Southern California.

1. Power surge- Has separated themselves from the rest and is clearly the team to beat.

2A. and 2B. Ohana Tigers Sanchez and Dirt Dog Romero- Both teams have performed well against the top competition. Based on the Dirt Dog's disappointing performance at PGF and Ohana's success playing up in the 14u the past few months I give Ohana the slight edge.

4. FC Oakes- Wow, what a Sunday. The team showed resilience battling all day long and winning the close games.

5. So Cal A's Angulo -Solid all around team.

Notable Mentions
So Cal 3D- Very scrappy team with a solid ace. Unfortunately, they'll need a deeper pitching staff to advance at PGF.
SBforsure

by T85836 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:17 pm

Here are my top 03 teams. I have seen and we have played against many of these teams and heres how I rank them.

1.) Powersurge - Bachtell (Beat some of the top 03 teams to get their Berth)

- Beat So Cal Dirtdogs - Romero 2-0. Great game to watch. Two of 12U's top pitchers battled here.
- Beat Lakewood Hustlers 8-0
- Beat Mizuno Storm Mathis 5-1. Another great game against another great team.

2.) Ohana Tigers - Sanchez (Great group of girls with great coaching)

3.) So Cal Dirtdogs - Romero (Another great team that did not perform the way we have seen them in the past.)

4.) So Cal 3D - Hernandez (Scrappy team that I second will struggle without another solid pitcher.)

5.) Firecrackers - Oak (What they did from the losers bracket at the last PGF tournament earns them a spot here.)

6.) Batbusters - Garcia (Was given a birth early and has been playing up in 14's all of 2016.

7.) So Cal Athletics - Angulo (Solid team all around.)

8.) Corona Angels - (Good solid team with a solid number 1 pitcher.)

9.) So Cal Athletics - Suarez (Can compete with the best of them.)

10.) Lakewood Hustlers & Firecrackers - King (round out my top 10.)
T85836

by softballfam55 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:00 pm

My top 03 teams are all pretty close to each other but I think Power Surge is the clear number 1 right now. Here is my top 10

1-Power Surge Bachtell- are solid all the way around. Have beat everyone in the division. Great defense and hitting and a true #1 pitcher. Will be the front runner to win PGF.

2- Firecrackers Oakes- they had a great run in the BB Flores Pre PGF tournament beating the top team in the division and the Dirtdogs. Made a great run n the losers bracket to get their berth. Solid pitching staff and they can hit.

3- Dirtdogs Romero- team can beat anyone in the division when they are on, had a rough go of it in PGF, but this team will get their berth in Vegas.. Good 1-2 pitching combo!

4-Storm Mathis- from AZ, this team is very solid. Qualified in a very tough PGF field. This team can hit and play with the best of them.

5--So Cal 3D- went undefeated in PGF to get their berth. Very good number 1 pitcher, this team plays with heart and you are going to get their best every time out.

6-Ohaha Tigers Sanchez
7-So Cal A's Angulo
8-Lakewood Hustlers
9-So Cal A's Suarez
10-Corona Angels Red
softballfam55

by MrCoach » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:17 pm

Softballfam55, you must be living under a rock. Can you please explain what "true #1" means? Also, the subject is "Best 03 teams in so cal", not "Best 03 teams in so cal and Arizona too"

By the way, this team, who everyone is touting as the number 1 team in so cal, who has great hitting and defense, and who has a true #1 pitcher is posting in the Indiana Try-Out page searching for an out of state top notch pitcher who throws 57-60 with movement. I wonder if the parents know they'll be picking up the tab with their monthly dues for travel expenses.

Seriously, can someone help me out on this? This team scored 33 runs and only gave up 1 during the PGF qualifier. Yet they need another pitcher...from California?...NOPE...of all places...INDIANA. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
MrCoach

by aparent » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:23 pm

Not every team takes a "dance with who brung ya" approach to PGF. A lot of teams pick up the best players from teams that didn't get births. Some do it to make sure they have base running options, protection from injuries, an extra catcher or pitcher so they have fresh legs or arms for a long day. Some recruit to just replace players that played with them all year to have the best showing. A lot of reasons, some more valid than others, I would say a national softball forum recruiting program for a 12u championship is getting into an area I wouldn't want to be in, but I understand how some teams get there. There seems to be a bit of an arms race going on, no pun intended. My info may be wrong but I heard there were teams from Texas that sponsor players across the Southeast to play for them in championships as young as 10U. It only takes one org doing this to put pressure on others to follow suit or be left behind.

I look at a team like Bachtell and think on the one hand that it is a step in the wrong direction to recruit on a national level for a 12U pitcher to play in a tournament, but then I think about how this talented team would feel if they showed up to PGF and lost to a team that was basically a sponsored multi state all star team from the southeast and I think "show me the rules and I will play the game". So I defer judgment and as always just remind everyone that whether you are a parent, coach, org prez, TD or ump, when in doubt about your priorities..."its the girls stupid".
aparent

by bugs » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:03 am

Mr Coach, as one of my best friends Gary Haning told me long ago about recruiting players from all over "sorry my friend, just trying to win a championship"

At least 15 ASA and Premier National Championships later his Batbusters seem to have survived and doing well.
bugs

by SBforsure » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:58 am

I hear what you're saying Bugs but we're talking 12U here, lol. Yeah, I just lost some respect for that Power surge team.
SBforsure

Next

Return to CA