Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

BOYCOTT SINGLE UMPIRE TOURNAMENTS & FRIENDLIES

by tbjd33 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:31 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:Update.. Two umpires all Legit PGF umpires. All fields taken care of and lined after each game. Great comp all day. Bomb Tacos all day!

Couldn't have asked for more... Great tourney Coach Smith!!

33, although I appreciate your post and I mostly side with Coach Smith here, your opinion could be perceived as biased since IIRC your DD plays in the BB org.

Then again, I have come to know you to be a man of your word and of conviction. Albeit I almost always disagree with your "word" and "conviction". :lol:

Definitely not a BatBuster... Just giving everyone a reporters pov.

Also thought a shot out to someone (Coach Smith and team) doin it right after outrage and concern.

Just sayin...
tbjd33

by PSWhite-Bachtell » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:01 pm

I agree with Coach Mike. Isn't the goal during the year to prepare our teams for Nationals. This means 2 umps, 7 innings (or at least 1:45 hr per game), and fences.
So our tournaments and friendlies should include the following:

1. Games: 7 innings or 1:45 hr (short games do not help prepare the players for 7 inning games) As an alternative, take the "time" issue out of the game and play 6 full innings.

2. Umpires: Minimum of 2 umps (One ump makes base running calls very difficult, and usually causes problems)

3. Fences: Without a fence it is a different game. Hit the ball in the gap for a HR - silly. If the tournament or friendly cannot put up fences, then here is a proposal: chalk a line at 200' to represent the outfield fence. A defensive player cannot go beyond the fence. If the hit is over the line, then HR. If it rolls to the line and past (gapper) then it is a ground-rule double or Ump's discretion.

Stop the profit madness and let's get back to preparing our Teams to win Nationals.

Good luck to All!

Paul Metsch
16u Power Surge Bachtell/Cranford
PSWhite-Bachtell

by fontana10! » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 pm

Interesting to see a guy complain so much and cut corners on his own tourney. $1000 entry fee to play on fields with no fences. A hard ground ball becomes a homerun. And to boot, no awards for the tourney champions . What a joke!
fontana10!

by tbjd33 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:04 pm

fontana10! wrote:Interesting to see a guy complain so much and cut corners on his own tourney. $1000 entry fee to play on fields with no fences. A hard ground ball becomes a homerun. And to boot, no awards for the tourney champions . What a joke!

Must be a pitchers Dad! LMAO...

Who the hell cares about a friggen trophy? There is only one trophy in travel ball that matters. And it's won at the end of summer!!

Please confirm the pitcher part...
tbjd33

by fontana10! » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:38 pm

Not a pitchers dad. Just a fan of real softball. Don't cry about this and that and then have a tourney on fields without fences. You must be a Batbuster, or maybe just a buster!
fontana10!

by tbjd33 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:24 pm

fontana10! wrote:Not a pitchers dad. Just a fan of real softball. Don't cry about this and that and then have a tourney on fields without fences. You must be a Batbuster, or maybe just a buster!

No Batbuster or buster here... Pitchers dad for sure cause us regular Dads never moan about not having fences. Though we would like them. Have you not noticed 90% of all tourneys/friendlies don't have fences. Why complain now... Whatever!

I'm sure Firecrackers-Young 14u really wanted a coin flip trophy. Cause I know Tyson didn't care!

Just sayin...
tbjd33

by BB2830 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:37 pm

Didn't play in that tourney, thought it was way over priced for what we knew you would get. For $1000 per team temporary fences should be put up at least on elimination Sunday. It makes a difference, this wasn't a $70 per game friendly after all. If you charge that kind of money, finish it out. Easy to say the only trophy is at the end of summer but that 14U team playing up and beating many of the top teams in the 16U division should have been given the chance to win it. Just because these things often don't get played out doesn't make it right.
BB2830

by fontana10! » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:38 pm

BB that's my point as well. I actually agree with everything Mike had to say. Just back it up and put on a quality tourney if you're charging $1000. Nothings going to change so we either deal with it or don't play.
fontana10!

by Nicelag » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:13 am

I think the overall quality of umpires is not good. A large part of the problem is that there are so many teams now between rec and travel that there is simply not enough quality umpires to cover all of the games.

In regards to getting what you pay for as relating to umpires it's a yes and no answer. Yes, many umpires are probably worth more, but I can say that just as many are not. Paying umpires more would not make most of them better. Too many umpires think they are good and see no need to improve. Paying more would draw better umpires, but there are only so many of those around. The others would just receive a higher wage for their incompetence.
Nicelag

by B34R DOWN » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:31 am

Nicelag wrote:I think the overall quality of umpires is not good. A large part of the problem is that there are so many teams now between rec and travel that there is simply not enough quality umpires to cover all of the games.

In regards to getting what you pay for as relating to umpires it's a yes and no answer. Yes, many umpires are probably worth more, but I can say that just as many are not. Paying umpires more would not make most of them better. Too many umpires think they are good and see no need to improve. Paying more would draw better umpires, but there are only so many of those around. The others would just receive a higher wage for their incompetence.

The only way to possibly change that is different levels of certification... Either classes/workshops with a numbers of hrs worked... But if that was to happen you would have to pay them more... So instead of $55 or $70 per a team each game (plus one new or slightly used game ball) you would be paying $60 or $80 each... and then still you wont like them all... I don't see a huge influx of people wanting to umpire because it's a thankless job where people generally don't like you...
B34R DOWN

PreviousNext

Return to CA