Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

OKAY SO WHATS ENOUGH!!!!

by Dowhatulike » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:41 am

So whats up with all these teams?????/ Looks like you just can put So Cal anything!!!!! OR elite this!!! FIrecrackers whoever!!! Honestly everyone needs to chill and ride it out on your existing team, just cause you DD isn't getting her way don't start a new program or team! Make her earn it!!!
Dowhatulike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by McGee » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:02 pm

There is no doubt a huge proliferation of travel teams, especially in the younger divisions. Players who would never be considered "All-Stars" in a rec league 5-10 years ago are no leaving rec leagues to play at a "higher level"

I worry about this from several levels. First, travel ball at any level can become a real grind and we may lose more players to burn out at an earlier age.
Second, there are not enough quality coaches and too many hurt as many players as they help.
Too many coaches/ teams play weekend friendlies like they are qualifiers or national championships. They keep their weaker players on the bench and don't let them get the chance to develop by playing in games.
Third, large organizations lose control over their mission and goals in search of winning. I would like to see more focus on helping each girl reach their game. academic and life goals. Most travel parents have no idea how the recruiting process works and rarely is it customized to the needs of the individual.

Quality 10U and 12U players have plenty of time and they should enjoy it when they can.
McGee

by Battle » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:24 pm

Dowhatulike wrote:So whats up with all these teams?????/ Looks like you just can put So Cal anything!!!!! OR elite this!!! FIrecrackers whoever!!! Honestly everyone needs to chill and ride it out on your existing team, just cause you DD isn't getting her way don't start a new program or team! Make her earn it!!!

Are we talking about 10u/12u or 14u/16u because it matters and merits two different responses IMO?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Tiare123 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:38 pm

Feel you bro...
Tiare123
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Dowhatulike » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:10 am

McGee wrote:There is no doubt a huge proliferation of travel teams, especially in the younger divisions. Players who would never be considered "All-Stars" in a rec league 5-10 years ago are no leaving rec leagues to play at a "higher level"

I worry about this from several levels. First, travel ball at any level can become a real grind and we may lose more players to burn out at an earlier age.
Second, there are not enough quality coaches and too many hurt as many players as they help.
Too many coaches/ teams play weekend friendlies like they are qualifiers or national championships. They keep their weaker players on the bench and don't let them get the chance to develop by playing in games.
Third, large organizations lose control over their mission and goals in search of winning. I would like to see more focus on helping each girl reach their game. academic and life goals. Most travel parents have no idea how the recruiting process works and rarely is it customized to the needs of the individual.

Quality 10U and 12U players have plenty of time and they should enjoy it when they can.

WELL SAID!!!!!
Dowhatulike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Dowhatulike » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:18 am

Battle wrote:
Dowhatulike wrote:So whats up with all these teams?????/ Looks like you just can put So Cal anything!!!!! OR elite this!!! FIrecrackers whoever!!! Honestly everyone needs to chill and ride it out on your existing team, just cause you DD isn't getting her way don't start a new program or team! Make her earn it!!!

Are we talking about 10u/12u or 14u/16u because it matters and merits two different responses IMO?

I am talking about all them and all organizations. We all see it and like McGee said its several levels and a lot of people are loosing focus on the most important factors. Recruiting is a huge one, a lot of people are not educated on this topic and a lot of coaches out there really think they have it figured out. :roll: The big organizations are loosing control of there primary goals!!!! Go ahead and buy that apparel and second guess a coaches decision or other players but really look in the mirror and educate yourself some more. I believe a lot of parents don't ask enough questions or act like they do know but really they don't.
Dowhatulike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by B34R DOWN » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:37 am

Seems like a lot of parents/coaches egos are making them want to jump to Travel... Rec ball politics can be tiresome, but the spirit of what Rec ball is about is important to the development of the kids and parents/coaches... Keep it fun and teach the fundamentals... Travel will still be there later... Gotta develop a passion for the game and a solid set of skills before you take that next step...

But it seems the avalanche is already happening any player with a little skill or desire to win will be bankrolled by a parent with stars in their eyes... This in turn pulls some of the decent coaches out too... What happens next? Girls are now turned away due to lack of coaches left in Rec...
B34R DOWN

by USCpride » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:45 pm

Do remember back in the day you had to earn points to be considered a gold team. If you didn't have
enough points you were rank and considered 18A team. Now all you have to do is put "Gold" behind your
name.

I've always wondered why they stopped doing that.
USCpride
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Dowhatulike » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:23 am

USCpride wrote:Do remember back in the day you had to earn points to be considered a gold team. If you didn't have
enough points you were rank and considered 18A team. Now all you have to do is put "Gold" behind your
name.

I've always wondered why they stopped doing that.

There are too many teams now...it isn't like before. the number of teams, coaches and players have increased drastically!!!
Dowhatulike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by B34R DOWN » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:14 am

Spazsdad wrote:Number of teams has nothing to do with it. Do you realize how many soccer and volleyball teams there and they control it. Fast pitch doesn't have any unified leadership.

Agreed... It would be hard with out one big governing body... Since So Cal is PGF's stronghold they could implement a tier or ranking system, but then ASA/TCS/USSSA might try to persuade teams by saying, "Come play here and you can be Gold/Tier 1/A.." and so on and so forth... So unless they all agree to a unified ranking system and stick with it we will have the Wild Wild West that we have now...
B34R DOWN

Next

Return to CA