Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Whos the top 16U in SoCal?

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:55 pm

Most people don't do any sort of rankings of teams after 14U. Even the legendary HB poster, Brackey tread lightly on ranking 16U. Doing what Padre de Spazo did and going by tourney results is a good idea if you want to at least get an idea of who's near the top.

I will assume that you are asking because you want to know what 16U team might be best for your DD if she were to try out. It's important to know why you're asking because the "best" 16U team is different according to what you are attempting to achieve.

All that said. I have no clue who the best is because I haven't done any research and my DD is in college. She played against one of the top players for Tidd/Ornelas in HS last year and that player is very good.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 2kids2catchers » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:47 am

catcherzrule wrote:Help? :roll:

nonsense
noun
1. words or language having little or no sense or meaning.

2. conduct, action, etc., that is senseless, foolish, or absurd:
to have tolerated enough nonsense.

3. impudent, insubordinate, or otherwise objectionable behavior:
He doesn't have to take that nonsense from you.

4. something absurd or fatuous:
the utter nonsense of such a suggestion.

Also, 2kids...are you using one of your kid's phones to TEXT all of these posts?

2kids2catchers wrote:Thank u Spaz...n i think u r right.

Lol oh you're "that" parent :lol:
2kids2catchers

by 2kids2catchers » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:54 am

fastpitchdad05 wrote:Most people don't do any sort of rankings of teams after 14U. Even the legendary HB poster, Brackey tread lightly on ranking 16U. Doing what Padre de Spazo did and going by tourney results is a good idea if you want to at least get an idea of who's near the top.

I will assume that you are asking because you want to know what 16U team might be best for your DD if she were to try out. It's important to know why you're asking because the "best" 16U team is different according t :) o what you are attempting to achieve.

All that said. I have no clue who the best is because I haven't done any research and my DD is in college. She played against one of the top players for Tidd/Ornelas in HS last year and that player is very good.

Thank u Fast. I know after talking wit a few other parents who have been through this as u have, we just decided to skip 16's n go straight to 18U. I appreciate u taking the time to respond n share. Glad there r a few good parents on this site :)
2kids2catchers

by Sid Barrett » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:35 pm

Skipping 16s and going straight to 18s might not necessarily be a wise choice if the goal for your daughter is college exposure. The majority of college recruiting takes place at the 16u level, which is why 16u teams generally are not "ranked." Its difficult to rank teams when they are playing to get kids signed over "winning." If your goal is to get your DD signed, then look into all of the usual suspects with track records of getting kids signed, ala SCA Mcnee, Choppers ZZ, BB Smith, Explosion Greg , CA Slye etc etc etc
Sid Barrett

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:42 pm

2kids2catchers wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:Most people don't do any sort of rankings of teams after 14U. Even the legendary HB poster, Brackey tread lightly on ranking 16U. Doing what Padre de Spazo did and going by tourney results is a good idea if you want to at least get an idea of who's near the top.

I will assume that you are asking because you want to know what 16U team might be best for your DD if she were to try out. It's important to know why you're asking because the "best" 16U team is different according t :) o what you are attempting to achieve.

Thank u Fast. I know after talking wit a few other parents who have been through this as u have, we just decided to skip 16's n go straight to 18U. I appreciate u taking the time to respond n share. Glad there r a few good parents on this site :)

My DD played 16U for one fall season and then went to 18U when she was still 14U eligible so I have some experience with this.

I used to think that we made a mistake doing this because the 18U team she played for was not an elite team and didn't get on "the good fields". There were some other more minor issues involved, but let's just say that I realize now that the biggest mistake we made ("we" being the team of her mom, myself and my daughter) had next to nothing to do with what team we were on, it was the amount and quality of the effort we put into identifying what her target schools were and contacting their coaches.

We thought that she was so good that she would be eventually "found". But if you don't properly target the colleges she's interested in and effectively contact those schools so that they show up to see your DD it heavily decreases your DD's chances.

Playing for a high profile team (meaning one of the absolute top teams in the country) will help your DD to be "found", but unless you are a top player on one of those teams (and maybe even still) you will need to do what 99% of the players who get successfully recruited do - their homework.

Don't expect her talent alone to be enough, because even some of the better players can fall thru the cracks.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Dugoutdirt » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:20 pm

If your player has not yet verballed, and a college scholarship is her goal, I do not understand why anyone would "play up" in 18U if she is 14U or 16U eligible. If you want the top schools to see your daughter, don't play them up. Unless you get a call from Stith, Richardson, Rico or Tyson, you are not bragging when you say, "Oh my kid is playing 18 Gold." Don't get me wrong, you will still see college coaches here and there, but nowhere near as many coaches are scouting the top 18U showcases or tournaments simply because most players are signed.

Everyone's story is different, but my DD did her homework and made her lists and sent her emails to her dream schools. But ultimately, the school she chose wasn't even on her list. She was seen at a high profile 16U showcase where she performed well. My recommendation is to do your homework, but also give your player the best chances for exposure.
Dugoutdirt
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:24 pm

Dugoutdirt wrote:If your player has not yet verballed, and a college scholarship is her goal, I do not understand why anyone would "play up" in 18U if she is 14U or 16U eligible. If you want the top schools to see your daughter, don't play them up. Unless you get a call from Stith, Richardson, Rico or Tyson, you are not bragging when you say, "Oh my kid is playing 18 Gold." Don't get me wrong, you will still see college coaches here and there, but nowhere near as many coaches are scouting the top 18U showcases or tournaments simply because most players are signed.

Everyone's story is different, but my DD did her homework and made her lists and sent her emails to her dream schools. But ultimately, the school she chose wasn't even on her list. She was seen at a high profile 16U showcase where she performed well. My recommendation is to do your homework, but also give your player the best chances for exposure.

For us it was all about her staying with the one and only org she had ever been with (since she was 12 and playing up in 14U) and a coach we highly respected. We were forced to make this decision when her 16U team folded due to the #1 pitcher defecting and an injury to the #2 pitcher. It was never to brag about her being on an 18 team.

Her ability has always spoken for itself. No need to brag.

I mean I will if you want. :D

Just say the word and I'll go on for hours... :lol:
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by catcherzrule » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:07 am

2kids2catchers wrote:Lol oh you're "that" parent

Yep...you mean the kind that can spell and write in complete sentences? Damn, busted...that's me! :lol:

Oh, and, glad to see you used the correct "you're" and not "your," impressive! Keep up the hard work! ;)
catcherzrule

by Nicelag » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:39 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
Dugoutdirt wrote:Everyone's story is different, but my DD did her homework and made her lists and sent her emails to her dream schools. But ultimately, the school she chose wasn't even on her list. She was seen at a high profile 16U showcase where she performed well. My recommendation is to do your homework, but also give your player the best chances for exposure.

For us it was all about her staying with the one and only org she had ever been with (since she was 12 and playing up in 14U) and a coach we highly respected. We were forced to make this decision when her 16U team folded due to the #1 pitcher defecting and an injury to the #2 pitcher. It was never to brag about her being on an 18 team.

:lol:
Nicelag

by fastpitchdad05 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:41 pm

Nicelag wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:
Dugoutdirt wrote:Everyone's story is different, but my DD did her homework and made her lists and sent her emails to her dream schools. But ultimately, the school she chose wasn't even on her list. She was seen at a high profile 16U showcase where she performed well. My recommendation is to do your homework, but also give your player the best chances for exposure.

:lol:

Is that a yes? :mrgreen:
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to CA