Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Travel ball and All Stars

by Els489 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:59 am

Quick question. I misinterpreted the ASA rules and did not know that a tryout would disqualify my daughter from All Star eligibility. This was a one time 30 min session with the coach only. We are not sure she is going the travel ball route however. Are there exceptions to the travel ball/all star rule? Thanks!
Els489
Premium Member
Premium Member

by B34R DOWN » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:33 pm

I think it would be up to the ASA District Commissioner... Was this reported to your league or ASA? If not you can always go to both and tell them the situation it might look better then a rumor go around... Or if no one knows and it was an honest mistake and the Travel coach doesn't say anything you can chalk it up to a mistake...
B34R DOWN

by Els489 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:40 pm

No, it was not reported to anyone. I was honest with the All Star coach because they are relying on my daughter and wanted to make sure she will be on the team. Maybe I shouldn't have been so honest but thought that the only rule was she couldn't be on a travel roster. I certainly learned my lesson about reading the ASA rules! I don't think the coach will want the risk. Maybe going to the district commissioner is the way. On top of it...my daughter still hasn't decided on travel vs rec for now, so it could be a mute point by the end of the week if she chooses travel.
Els489
Premium Member
Premium Member

by B34R DOWN » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:48 pm

Honesty is always the best policy... And it seems that by going as far as a try out you are leaning very heavily towards TB... All Stars is fun, but if she really wants to go TB that's your call....
Last edited by B34R DOWN on Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B34R DOWN

by eclipse09 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:53 pm

Els489 wrote:No, it was not reported to anyone. I was honest with the All Star coach because they are relying on my daughter and wanted to make sure she will be on the team. Maybe I shouldn't have been so honest but thought that the only rule was she couldn't be on a travel roster. I certainly learned my lesson about reading the ASA rules! I don't think the coach will want the risk. Maybe going to the district commissioner is the way. On top of it...my daughter still hasn't decided on travel vs rec for now, so it could be a mute point by the end of the week if she chooses travel.

The decision should have been made by March 31st. Leaving both travel and rec teams hanging is not a good way to impress upon both groups.

Also last I checked there is a rule that no one is on an all-star team until after May 1st whether it is done via a tryout or voting. ;) ;)
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Els489 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:05 pm

eclipse09 wrote:
Els489 wrote:No, it was not reported to anyone. I was honest with the All Star coach because they are relying on my daughter and wanted to make sure she will be on the team. Maybe I shouldn't have been so honest but thought that the only rule was she couldn't be on a travel roster. I certainly learned my lesson about reading the ASA rules! I don't think the coach will want the risk. Maybe going to the district commissioner is the way. On top of it...my daughter still hasn't decided on travel vs rec for now, so it could be a mute point by the end of the week if she chooses travel.

The decision should have been made by March 31st. Leaving both travel and rec teams hanging is not a good way to impress upon both groups.

Also last I checked there is a rule that no one is on an all-star team until after May 1st whether it is done via a tryout or voting. ;) ;)

I am not leaving anyone hanging. This all went down this past week and All Star teams haven't even been formally announced, however, I was contacted by the All Star manager who said she's in, which really was no surprise anyway.
Els489
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:44 pm

Els489 wrote:
eclipse09 wrote:

I am not leaving anyone hanging. This all went down this past week and All Star teams haven't even been formally announced, however, I was contacted by the All Star manager who said she's in, which really was no surprise anyway.

Okie dokie....... :shock:
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by BLVCKOPS » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:34 am

I believe the rule prohibits a rec player from playing or practicing with travel "players". If it also covered 30 minute sessions with travel coaches, then a large amount of kids would not be allowed to play in all stars. At least 6 girls from my kid's last AS team received weekly private instruction from coaches that also had travel teams. Now this is only my interpretation of the rule. The ASA and your league probably have a different look on it, or there is more to the story. Either way good luck, whatever ends up happening I hope it's where your kid wants to be.
BLVCKOPS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by B34R DOWN » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:32 pm

BLVCKOPS wrote:I believe the rule prohibits a rec player from playing or practicing with travel "players". If it also covered 30 minute sessions with travel coaches, then a large amount of kids would not be allowed to play in all stars. At least 6 girls from my kid's last AS team received weekly private instruction from coaches that also had travel teams. Now this is only my interpretation of the rule. The ASA and your league probably have a different look on it, or there is more to the story. Either way good luck, whatever ends up happening I hope it's where your kid wants to be.

A player who has partcipated on a team other than a team in their own
recreation league after March 31 of the current year is NOT eligible, as
provided for in paragraph II.B.4 above. For example, a player shall not
participate on any non ASA/USA Softball team, All‐Star Team or travel
type team after March 31. EXCEPTION. A league that has more than one
post‐season team within an Age Classification may elevate a player within
the same league from the number two All‐Star Team to the number one
All‐Star Team with the approval of the respective District Commissioner.
When a player is moved that player is locked on the team to which they
were moved until the team is eliminated from Championship Play.
NOTE: “Participate”, above, is defined as a player or team taking part in a tryout,
practice game, scheduled game or tournament.

A weekly lesson with a coach is different then a tryout practice... a chance to play on the team is the difference...
B34R DOWN

by Els489 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:15 pm

B34R DOWN wrote:
BLVCKOPS wrote:I believe the rule prohibits a rec player from playing or practicing with travel "players". If it also covered 30 minute sessions with travel coaches, then a large amount of kids would not be allowed to play in all stars. At least 6 girls from my kid's last AS team received weekly private instruction from coaches that also had travel teams. Now this is only my interpretation of the rule. The ASA and your league probably have a different look on it, or there is more to the story. Either way good luck, whatever ends up happening I hope it's where your kid wants to be.

A player who has partcipated on a team other than a team in their own
recreation league after March 31 of the current year is NOT eligible, as
provided for in paragraph II.B.4 above. For example, a player shall not
participate on any non ASA/USA Softball team, All‐Star Team or travel
type team after March 31. EXCEPTION. A league that has more than one
post‐season team within an Age Classification may elevate a player within
the same league from the number two All‐Star Team to the number one
All‐Star Team with the approval of the respective District Commissioner.
When a player is moved that player is locked on the team to which they
were moved until the team is eliminated from Championship Play.
NOTE: “Participate”, above, is defined as a player or team taking part in a tryout,
practice game, scheduled game or tournament.

A weekly lesson with a coach is different then a tryout practice... a chance to play on the team is the difference...

Thanks. Yes, of course I read the official ASA rules after the 30 min tryout! It's most likely not going to matter as I believe she will choose travel ball, but I learned a good lesson. Hope your daughter is having a great season!
Els489
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to CA