Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

CIF San Diego - Question about 2015 Playoffs

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:45 pm

Can anyone tell me how the playoff participants will be determined this season?

From looking at the CIF San Diego site I was able to see the following:

- They have begun a new Power Ranking system
- 8 teams will be chosen for both the Open and Div 5 Playoffs
- 12 teams will be chosen for each of the other Divisions (1 - 4)

I was told by one of the coaches that the 8 teams chosen for the Open Division will be the top 8 teams by Power Ranking from Div 1 only.

I can't find anything on the CIF SD site that shows how the Open Division teams (or any other Division) will be chosen.

If this is true, even though the other Divisions are scored on the same ranking as Div 1 they would not gain entrance to the Open Division playoffs even if they have a higher Power Ranking than a Div 1 team.

Can anyone verify this and/or tell me how the teams will be chosen?

Thanks
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:17 pm

An Aug 2013 article, http://www.pomeradonews.com/news/2013/aug/14/prep-softball-new-section-playoff-format-to/, explained how all teams were placed in all divisions, incl Open, before the 2014 season.

A CIF-SDS file, http://www.cifsds.org/uploads/2/3/3/6/23368454/softball_divisions_updated_1-23-15.xlsx, shows where all teams were initially placed in Divisions I-V before this season and that the 8 teams in the Open Division will be selected after the regular season. It also shows your DD's school was relegated/demoted from Div-I to Div-II this year.

I presume you've already looked at the CIF-SDS webpage, http://www.cifsds.org/power-rankings.html, that shows how power ranking points are calculated and that your DD's Div-II school currently has a 45.47 to 45.41 lead over the 8th place Div-I school.

Given the point formula's inclusion of opponent's division, it would seem reasonable they'd take the top 8 teams regardless of division. However, El Capitan was in a similar position in football and they were left in Div-II.

I guess you'll have to make do with being the favorite to win Div-II rather than the longest shot in the Open Division. Take your trophy and be happy. 8-)
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:15 pm

PDad wrote:An Aug 2013 article, http://www.pomeradonews.com/news/2013/aug/14/prep-softball-new-section-playoff-format-to/, explained how all teams were placed in all divisions, incl Open, before the 2014 season.

A CIF-SDS file, http://www.cifsds.org/uploads/2/3/3/6/23368454/softball_divisions_updated_1-23-15.xlsx, shows where all teams were initially placed in Divisions I-V before this season and that the 8 teams in the Open Division will be selected after the regular season. It also shows your DD's school was relegated/demoted from Div-I to Div-II this year.

I presume you've already looked at the CIF-SDS webpage, http://www.cifsds.org/power-rankings.html, that shows how power ranking points are calculated and that your DD's Div-II school currently has a 45.47 to 45.41 lead over the 8th place Div-I school.

Given the point formula's inclusion of opponent's division, it would seem reasonable they'd take the top 8 teams regardless of division. However, El Capitan was in a similar position in football and they were left in Div-II.

I guess you'll have to make do with being the favorite to win Div-II rather than the longest shot in the Open Division. Take your trophy and be happy. 8-)

Thanks PDad, I had viewed almost all the information you provided already with the exception of the first link from a couple years back that I will look at but feel fairly confident has no bearing on this season since they didn't have the Power Rankings then.

Believe it or not I really have mellowed over the years. I am only mildly disappointed that DD's team will likely not be part of the Open nor Div 1 Playoffs. We were informed of this likelihood at our pre-season team meeting and so I was expecting it, but just looking for official clarification, which doesn't seem to exist on the web.

The rumor I heard is that next season the Power Rankings will be used for the top 8 teams for Open regardless of Division.

Meh...there are more important things in life. She's having the most fun she's had playing softball in years and she and the team are playing well. I really am past the chest pounding stage. Well. maybe I'll pound my chest a little for DD now and then. But she deserves it. :mrgreen:

Anyone out there with official clarification of how CIF-SD will choose the Division participants?
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:29 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:Thanks PDad, I had viewed almost all the information you provided already with the exception of the first link from a couple years back that I will look at but feel fairly confident has no bearing on this season since they didn't have the Power Rankings then.

The article discusses the preseason process for placing teams in divisions based on the their last 5 years results. Notice the preseason values are ranked in ascending order (low to high) and the Power Ranking Points are descending (high to low).

Last year's post season minutes (see SOFTBALL POST SEASON MINUTES 2013-2014) had this recommendation:

Next year the seeding will be done via power rankings. Distributed draft to advisory group and discussed the procedure for breaking ties, league champs, head to head wins and how we would look at the rankings when we seed.

It's logical to also use them for selecting teams for the Open Division.

Anyone out there with official clarification of how CIF-SD will choose the Division participants?

Why don't you contact CIF-SDS yourself? There is plenty of contact info on their site.

Care to make a wager I'm wrong? 8-)
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Fri May 01, 2015 12:47 pm

PDad wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:Thanks PDad, I had viewed almost all the information you provided already with the exception of the first link from a couple years back that I will look at but feel fairly confident has no bearing on this season since they didn't have the Power Rankings then.

The article discusses the preseason process for placing teams in divisions based on the their last 5 years results. Notice the preseason values are ranked in ascending order (low to high) and the Power Ranking Points are descending (high to low).

Last year's post season minutes (see SOFTBALL POST SEASON MINUTES 2013-2014) had this recommendation:

Next year the seeding will be done via power rankings. Distributed draft to advisory group and discussed the procedure for breaking ties, league champs, head to head wins and how we would look at the rankings when we seed.

It's logical to also use them for selecting teams for the Open Division.

Why don't you contact CIF-SDS yourself? There is plenty of contact info on their site.

Care to make a wager I'm wrong? 8-)

So I took your advice and called SD CIF and confirmed what I thought was true already which is that the 8 Open Division teams will be chosen from Division 1 only. DD's team will play in the Division 2 playoffs.

This is not the end of the world.

It is however disappointing that a team that is currently ranked 5th overall in the Power Rankings and 2nd in the county according to the SD Union Tribune will be left out of the "Big Dance", but I think we'll all find a way to live thru it. :mrgreen:

At any rate, it's been a very enjoyable, fun season for the girls this year and none of this will change that, nor will anyone care either way once the season is over.

I'm enjoying the final ride and look forward to whatever lay ahead for the last month or so of DD's HS career.

Thanks for your help and input, PDad.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sat May 30, 2015 5:25 pm

PDad wrote:I guess you'll have to make do with being the favorite to win Div-II rather than the longest shot in the Open Division. Take your trophy and be happy. 8-)

Congrats to your DD on the championship and for driving in the only runs!

Sandbaggers... ;) :lol:
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Sun May 31, 2015 12:31 am

PDad wrote:
PDad wrote:I guess you'll have to make do with being the favorite to win Div-II rather than the longest shot in the Open Division. Take your trophy and be happy. 8-)

Congrats to your DD on the championship and for driving in the only runs!

Sandbaggers... ;) :lol:

Thanks PDad...Mission accomplished! :D

I couldn't be more proud and happy for DD and her team. What an unbelievable team effort this entire season.

http://www.kusi.com/clip/11551667/53015 ... te-hills-0

http://hs.utpreps.com/news_article/show/520609

BTW...DD's team played all 4 of the teams during the regular season that were competing in the D1 and Open Division Finals after them today. Their record this season against those 4 teams? 5-0.

Arguably the best team in SD county this season. :)
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to CA