Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Elite players from the San Fernando Valley!!!!!

by tbjd33 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:39 pm

SydsDad wrote:I appreciate everyone's responses. I have decided to focus on rec ball for my daughter for the next 2 years and revisit travel ball before her second year of 12u to see if it makes sense. We had a couple girls from our league join the new Batbusters team in Encino, but our league "family" didn't give us the heads up and I hadn't checked Heybucket in a while to see the tryout dates. It caused me to think hard about what our plans are and we decided to continue her private lessons and enjoy watching her have fun for a while.

If anyone needs a great catcher until March 31st let me know.

Happy New Year!

Steve

Good move Steve...

Keep her smiling!
tbjd33

by DropCurve » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:53 am

SydsDad wrote:I appreciate everyone's responses. I have decided to focus on rec ball for my daughter for the next 2 years and revisit travel ball before her second year of 12u to see if it makes sense. We had a couple girls from our league join the new Batbusters team in Encino, but our league "family" didn't give us the heads up and I hadn't checked Heybucket in a while to see the tryout dates. It caused me to think hard about what our plans are and we decided to continue her private lessons and enjoy watching her have fun for a while.

If anyone needs a great catcher until March 31st let me know.

Happy New Year!

Steve

Very good decision!
DropCurve

by Coach_Larry » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:10 am

I think your daughter will let you know when it's time. If she is progressing rapidly, she will not want to do a second year 12U, or maybe even a first. At 12U, there are still enough really bad players in rec to make it a horrible experience for kids at the next level. You will hear a lot of grumbling, and see a lot of eyeballs rolling. How often do you hear coaches and kids saying "we're just suffering through this rec season to make it to all stars"? The system is obviously in need of repair, and ASA is trying to do that, but PGF or someone else will probably step in and provide a better rec product for communities.
Coach_Larry
Premium Member
Premium Member

by mrmarcos33 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:50 am

Lil Ballers wrote:I've been in the travel seen now for 3-4 yrs, and have noticed a lot of the girls here in the valley play for big name teams in the O.C .There are some decent teams here, but what gives that the young players have to travel else where.
Why not bring some of those big name teams to the valley, and have those teams travel this way. I do get it that the girls want to play against good teams , but the more I see teams as we play in orange county the more I see girls from the valley on those teams.
It would be great to keep those girls here in the valley with those big name teams and have good competition here. It would be cool to be able to say theres good competition in the San Fernando Valley... :roll:

I agree! We do need to bring more of the top orgs out to the valley! Batbusters have teams now in Encino. There are good teams out here also!
SoCal 3D Hernandez teams are good
14U
Choppers are a good org
Pumas
Firecrackers Rice
mrmarcos33
Premium Member
Premium Member

by exD1dad » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:53 pm

tjbd33 said it the best :D reread what he said. the teams listed in the SFV are good, Eddie Valdiva was my DD's asst on her 1st TB team the now defunct Knockouts :) in Encino (Notre Dame HS uses that field)

My DD didn't even start playing until she was 10, then again I'd played 3000 softball games from Church leagues to semi pro so looking for coaching wasn't the issue. I'd say keep her playing other sports, anything & everything she's interested in & if she has no interest have her try it out one time just to see if she likes it. It being anything at school, volleyball, basketball, track, surfing swimming, cycling whatever.

If she's really good have her play up an age group in rec. I refused to have my kid suffer through 2 hr+ traveling for practices & never once took her to a batting coach .. I firmly believe kids should be kids & I also think anything before 2nd yr 12U for TB is too early here in SoCal. Just my opinion & my DD used softball as an academic tool to get into Harvard Westlake
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:09 am

exD1dad wrote:tjbd33 said it the best :D reread what he said. the teams listed in the SFV are good, Eddie Valdiva was my DD's asst on her 1st TB team the now defunct Knockouts :) in Encino (Notre Dame HS uses that field)

My DD didn't even start playing until she was 10, then again I'd played 3000 softball games from Church leagues to semi pro so looking for coaching wasn't the issue. I'd say keep her playing other sports, anything & everything she's interested in & if she has no interest have her try it out one time just to see if she likes it. It being anything at school, volleyball, basketball, track, surfing swimming, cycling whatever.

If she's really good have her play up an age group in rec. I refused to have my kid suffer through 2 hr+ traveling for practices & never once took her to a batting coach .. I firmly believe kids should be kids & I also think anything before 2nd yr 12U for TB is too early here in SoCal. Just my opinion & my DD used softball as an academic tool to get into Harvard Westlake

Ex I had you pegged as a HW guy. That's why you have knowledge of Gio, Fried and the man Jack. All first rounders!

We have probably crossed paths at some point...

With that being said, you make an excellent point in also working towards a great HS for our DD's. Coincidently, my DD is being recruited to play at the elite schools in SFV. Now the softball is subpar but the academic experience is great prep for all DD to attend a school like HW, ND, Sierra Cyn, Chaminade, La Salle, Maranatha and many others. Dads end of the day that's what is about!

Ex with all do respect don't compare HW baseball to any other cause no one has their track record. Matt and PC have the Valley on lock down. My boy plays at a rival school (with the best field in the Mission League Ha Ha!)and its a HEATED rivalry... All in good fun of course. A la Batbusters and CA usually loaded with scouts and something on the line.
tbjd33

by newbie101 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:28 am

tbjd33 wrote:Well... I say all you 10u parents come back in 3 years and resume this tread.

Best thing anyone can do for a 9/10 year old is to work on skill and help increase their love of the game.

Elite travel is tough and cost $$ (driving, coaching fees, training, hotels, airplanes, camps, equipment and etc). None of it starts until 8th grade. Sorry about grad year not age... That's what matters people. No reason to overwork young DD's.

On the coaching side there are plenty of coaches in the greater SFV. True problem is there aren't coaches with COLLEGE coaching connections. None are Richardson, Stith, Tyson, Denio and so on. Gonna be a while before that changes as far as I can see. Too many dad coaches!

This has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I guess if you dont play for one of those coaches you will not get looked at by a college? Hmmm well how do you explain girls getting verballed from Choppers, Bownet, 3d , Pumas ect....

Another fact is alot of the girls playing for those teams verballed while playing for other teams. If your kid is good she will get seen. If the statement made by you were true there would be a lot scholarship money available as those teams only carry 18 to 20 girls & most of them are already verballed.
newbie101
Premium Member
Premium Member

by exD1dad » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:02 am

Newbie101 recruiting has changed in the past 3 years & is much more competitive, the advent of cottage Industries like "marketing tools" that bombard college coaches with literally thousands of emails has changed the face of recruiting. You must understand tjbd33 is talking about ELITE NCAA D1 teams, top 50 & to break into that fraternity (& verbal as a soph which is the latest with most of them & the next 75+) you gotta have juice. Generally ya gotta have a top coach & a top team or get noticed by OnDeck or at Colorado . Your DD also has to be a polished player ready at 15, sure Bownet, Puma's choppers put kids there too but there are soooooooooo many more players now which means more teams & yes there's a few DD's that go later & there's still the other 200 D1 then the DII's & DIII's with openings but tjbd33 is talking the big time Programs, WCWS potential & he's absolutely correct.

Hey tjbd33 my oldest went to Notre Dame SO Class of '12...rock star drummer from the award winning Irish Knight Band :D

There is NOTHING wrong with playing at Western Broken Toe State U if your goal is simply to play softball. Just remember softball is a JOB at the next level. That wasn't my DD's goal & guess what, her goals changed too & she didn't spend her entire Junior High & HS years only playing softball only to get injured, burn out or find out she wasn't good enough to make it to the next level which does happen. So be ready for that reality, enjoy your time with your DD, but don't let her miss out on a life because they're only young for so long . Best of luck!
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by newbie101 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:37 am

exD1dad wrote:Newbie101 recruiting has changed in the past 3 years & is much more competitive, the advent of cottage Industries like "marketing tools" that bombard college coaches with literally thousands of emails has changed the face of recruiting. You must understand tjbd33 is talking about ELITE NCAA D1 teams, top 50 & to break into that fraternity (& verbal as a soph which is the latest with most of them & the next 75+) you gotta have juice. Generally ya gotta have a top coach & a top team or get noticed by OnDeck or at Colorado . Your DD also has to be a polished player ready at 15, sure Bownet, Puma's choppers put kids there too but there are soooooooooo many more players now which means more teams & yes there's a few DD's that go later & there's still the other 200 D1 then the DII's & DIII's with openings but tjbd33 is talking the big time Programs, WCWS potential & he's absolutely correct.

Hey tjbd33 my oldest went to Notre Dame SO Class of '12...rock star drummer from the award winning Irish Knight Band :D

There is NOTHING wrong with playing at Western Broken Toe State U if your goal is simply to play softball. Just remember softball is a JOB at the next level. That wasn't my DD's goal & guess what, her goals changed too & she didn't spend her entire Junior High & HS years only playing softball only to get injured, burn out or find out she wasn't good enough to make it to the next level which does happen. So be ready for that reality, enjoy your time with your DD, but don't let her miss out on a life because they're only young for so long . Best of luck!

While I appriciate your love for the good ol boys club. Let see Summer Pohl from SFV played for Cal Lite she is at LB State, Kylie Sorenson Played Choppers she is at Stanford, Caitlin Brooks played for Choppers Moore going to Notre Dame, Jessica Moore played for Choppers Moore NC State, Miera? Plays for Bownet Oregon State, Nicole ? So Cal Diamonds Cal Berkeley , The Lombardi sister played 3D both at LB State, I am pretty sure almost all the girls that were on Choppers Shipman all verballed last year to good schools. And the list goes on. There is more college recruiting in the younger divisions then ever before. There was a time when you would go to an 18u event and see 20 to 30 scouts at each game, now they are at the 16 & 14u.
The way you paint the picture of how the elite Colleges have all BB CA etc... is false too.

Here is
Oregon 2015 ROSTER
No.
Name
Pos.
Hand
Ht.
Yr.
Hometown / High School / Previous School
4 Beaudrie-Pierson, Lexy OF L/R 5-1 So. Scottsdale, Ariz. / Desert Mountain HS / Arizona Storm
7 Costa, Koral UT R/R 5-5 Jr. San Pedro, Calif. / San Pedro HS / So Cal Firecrackers
14 Decker, Hailey IF R/R 5-4 Jr. Keizer, Ore. / Nebraska / McNary HS / Northwest Bullets
9 Gillespie, Alyssa OF L/R 5-9 Jr. Hillsboro, Ore. / Glencoe HS / Northwest Bullets
12 Glasco, Geri Ann UT/P L/R 5-5 Jr. Watkinsville, Ga. / Georgia / Oconee County HS / Southern Force
1 Goodrum, Sara OF L/L 5-8 Sr. Mesa, Ariz. / Red Mountain HS / Arizona Killer Bees
11 Hawkins, Cheridan LHP L/L 5-10 Jr. Anderson, Calif. / Anderson HS / Sorcerors Gold
10 Hovinga, Karissa RHP R/R 5-9 Sr. Ralston, Neb. / Papillion HS / Frozen Ropes Fury
18 Knapp, Stevie Jo IF R/R 5-10 Jr. Chino Hills, Calif. / Ayala HS / Strike Force Gold
15 Lewis, Alyssa OF L/L 5-4 RFr. Goleta, Calif. / Dos Pueblos HS / Pacific Coast Predators
00 Lilley, Jenna IF L/R 5-5 Fr. North Canton, Ohio / Hoover HS / Beverly Bandits
26 Lindvall, Janelle C R/R 5-10 Jr. Stevenson Ranch, Calif. / West Ranch HS / So Cal Firecrackers
8 Lindvall, Lauren IF R/R 5-5 Fr. Stevenson Ranch, Calif. / West Ranch HS / So Cal Choppers
2 Mercado, Danica IF L/R 5-4 RSo. Temecula, Calif. / Great Oak HS / So Cal Athletics
27 Powell, Cheyene RHP R/R 5-10 Fr. Tuttle, Okla. / Blanchard HS / Texas Firecrackers
5 Puentes, Sammie IF R/R 5-2 So. Hollister, Calif. / Anchorpoint Christian HS / Strike Zone
55 Smithson-Willett, Jasmine RHP R/R 5-8 Jr. Lake Elsinore, Calif. / Louisville / Lakeside HS / So Cal Athletics
20 Sullivan, Jamie Rae IF R/R 5-9 Sr. Huntington Beach, Calif. / Marina HS / Cal Worth Firecrackers
21 Svekis, Gwen UT R/R 5-9 Fr. Davie, Fla. / St. Thomas Aquinas HS / GC Hurricanes
19 Takeda, Janie OF L/R 5-7 Sr. Placentia, Calif. / El Dorado HS / OC Batbusters
3 Udria, Nikki IF L/R 5-10 So. Covina, Calif. / Mater Dei HS / Corona Angels

Looks like there are 3 kids on this roster from smaller so cal programs.
only 1 BB , 1 CA, 2 So Cal A's & 4 FC But there are so many of each of these teams we do not know what 18u team they played for & if they even got verballed while playing on that team. The school does not list who they payed for when they Verballed just who they played for when they signed LOI.
Do not get me wrong, I do agree that the big travel names can get it done for kids as they have proven track records & are very good coaches. But do not say all the rest suck and that they will only get you signed to small schools. There are kids on the big programs that wind up at small schools too. Also in defense of the smaller names they most of the time work extremely hard at teaching kids how to play , while these bigger names do not have to teach much at all, they have the luxury of picking the best kids from all over. And to the Daddy ball comment, almost all of the big name coaches , coached their daughters too.
newbie101
Premium Member
Premium Member

by exD1dad » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:08 am

newbie Strikeforce has been around what? 15+ years? Cal Lite has only a few teams because the head coach liked to have total Org control but that Org is done with & wasn't even in the SFV Please! & how many kids didn't make these teams after they tried out? Plenty! & doesn't your Oregon example have like 12 Big name Orgs players? hahahaha
I know most coaches started as their DD's coach & I didn't say anything negative about Daddyball at the 18G level. Look at Blanco, how many teams does he have now? Yes they give opportunity but show me a team from Encino/sherman oaks/studio city/toluca lake/burbank/north Hollywood/van nuys at the 16 or 18 level? There are none that send DD's to top programs. Only Easton Elite has ben around a long time, coached by Dave Govea, whom I respect & admire for who he is what he did for my DD (another team my DD played for 1st yr 14's) who doesn't get the top kids because parents are all running down to OC or over to Westlake & Newbury Park for Bownet(30 miles) . I consider Bownet & Choppers Big Orgs too but is Santa Clarita the SFV it's still 30+ min from where I live?

I probably wasn't clear after a 13 episodes of House of Cards :lol: but I could go into detail about Strikeforce (whos based out Lake Elsinore right? 70 miles from SFV & practices down in OC)as my DD had a short stint with them & a fellow HS teammate got her ride to Cornell with them but why bother? One of the teams you mention was in Hollister, thats not SoCal :lol: I never said smaller orgs suck either is that just your personal chip on your shoulder?

I was frustrated at the lack of quality/big name 16 & 18G teams in SFV & could never figure it out. That just goes to show you how hard it is to run an Org year in & year out. I guess my point was more it's getting harder & harder to get the Brass Ring of $$ & compete for Elite Colleges as softball's popularity has grown (or parents dreams of their DD's getting $$ at a top school has grown too) The cottage industries of batting & fielding coaches & websites & showcases where parents start out in TB at 10U & spend more money on TB than college would have cost when most of these kids end up nowhere is stupid IMHO. So if you're gonna start out at 10U to get to the top Orgs big teams you gotta start in their Org (generally) & develop & move up through their org, unless you're like the girls you mentioned who are Studdettes who could play anywhere. There's a big difference between playing anywhere & playing at a top Elite school like tjbd33 was describing. Lastly I agree that plenty of Big Name Orgs send kids to smaller schools but they send them all somewhere. Yes there is a ton of talent in SFV & it's sad there's no base near home for these girls to play like down in the OC
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to CA