Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

NEW ASA SELECT TEAM AND USSSA

by toner297 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:42 pm

I didnt want to hijack the other asa select thread so I started this one. Please help with info i want to know if and how is it possible to play asa rec and qualify for usssa World Series.
Have any of the coaches on here. Done this before and now with the new select team process how can i do this. Would trying to do this affect my leagues asa rec allstar status. I was told I can play both but would play in the usssa open division for my age group. Please help answer these questions
Thxs in advance
toner297
Premium Member
Premium Member

by toner297 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:36 am

70 views can I get any answers or guidance please
toner297
Premium Member
Premium Member

by toner297 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:41 pm

I was told by a region director from usssa that it was possible and not affect asa rec. he mentioned playing in the open division but that's why I come to you guys maybe someone here has done this.
toner297
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:26 pm

USSSA rep is not a good source of info for ASA rules. The other thread laid out the dates.

If your league participates in the Select program your players cannon play or practice with a travel ball team after February 1st. If you do not participate the current March 31st rule applies.

SoCal ASA rules do not allow rec players to participate from the applicable date(s) until they're done with championship play (i.e. District, State or Westerns).
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by toner297 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:55 pm

PDad wrote:USSSA rep is not a good source of info for ASA rules. The other thread laid out the dates.

If your league participates in the Select program your players cannon play or practice with a travel ball team after February 1st. If you do not participate the current March 31st rule applies.

SoCal ASA rules do not allow rec players to participate from the applicable date(s) until they're done with championship play (i.e. District, State or Westerns).

But can I play in any qualifier played before march 31 with the select team and try to qualify for the World Series.
toner297
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:07 pm

toner297 wrote:
PDad wrote:USSSA rep is not a good source of info for ASA rules. The other thread laid out the dates.

But can I play in any qualifier played before march 31 with the select team and try to qualify for the World Series.

Feb 1 is the beginning date for select teams. You also have to be concerned about the tail end - the USSSA WS has to be after your select team has finished ASA play, which could be Aug 2 for Western Nationals.

FWIW, I would expect your team to advance in the ASA rec events if they're good enough to compete with travel teams.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by McGee » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:34 pm

Anyone interested in playing travel,ball should do,just that, cut the cord from rec ball and play travel. ASA is now trying to allow teams to do both and it just doesn't make sense. A quasi travel team with one foot still in rec probably can't give give enough attention to their rec team and that isn't fair to their rec team and teaches a poor lesson about accountability.

Playing travel provides advantages but also incurs extra responsibility and effort. To play better teams you have to improve your roster, practice harder and more efficiently, raise funds and spend time scheduling games and practices. You may also lose access to the local rec fields and you have to find fields, build,your own schedule, hire umpires, buy uniforms and so on.
Doing both also means your have to practice and play with two teams spending time that might be better invested elsewhere.

At the same time, rec ball is the mothers milk of the game. I see lots of marginal,players flocking to tee shirt travel,teams in search of the holy grail. Local,leagues are slowing dying at the 12 and 14u level and I am afraid we are killing the golden goose. Where will the better players come from when our rec feeder programs all die out.
McGee

by CoachKari » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:40 pm

You do not need to qualify to participate in the USSSA World Series. USSSA will tell you you need three tournaments or win one of their tournaments but come June, they will send out an all call for anyone to enter, no USSSA tournaments necessary.
CoachKari

by Coach_Larry » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:45 am

I did it last year. Qualify before the yellow book February dates and you are fine. The western WS is after nationals, and will not affect your status. As long as your rec team goes through the proper process, and is differentiated by that process, your off season team is not affected.
We didn't make it out of districts last year, but my girls had a great run at u-trip. I am very glad we decided to do it, and am happy to answer any questions about my experience doing this.
You should also consult with your league Commisioner, and double check with your ASA district rep. to be safe.
Coach_Larry
Premium Member
Premium Member

by B34R DOWN » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:15 pm

If your team is good enough to play in USSSA why are you sandbagging it a Rec league? Is it the same team? are you not drafting your Rec team? or are you referring to a Select Team?
B34R DOWN

Next

Return to CA