Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

New Socal ASA rec. rules?

by Coach_Larry » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:25 pm

Have the new rules leaked out around here yet?
Coach_Larry
Premium Member
Premium Member

by McGee » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:18 am

This is a futile attempt to keep players from moving to travel ball. Allowing "select" teams to play during the rec season has all kinds of implications that need to be addressed. How will teams and managers be selected before the season has even started? How will scheduling conflicts be addressed, will there be differences in fees, will rec teams lose playing and practice times and what will happen to strong players not chosen for the select teams.

Non championship All-star tournaments will also be a challenge. Will non select all star teams want to play against select teams? This doesn't seen fair or reasonable. The C division will apparently open to non select teams from B leagues. What will happen to the All-star teams from smaller leagues no forced to play against bigger leagues.
It also means most leagues will need to create new all star policy that the leagues will then need to follow. All star selection is already difficult and filled with controversy and politics and this can only make it worse.

In the end there is no real evidence that these changes will help,rec leagues retain their better players. I always believed the players need to make a clean break from rec when the decide they are ready for travel. They need to buy equipment and insurance, do their own scheduling and finances, provide coaches and practice facilities and develop their own rosters.

I don't believe it is fair for rec leagues to provide these services for teams that aren't open to everyone,
McGee

by eclipse09 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:47 am

ASA needs to focus on promoting the sport of softball and increase interest at the younger ages. The truly skilled players will head to travel anyway so devising a system where they put together select/all-star teams from the start of the season will just be a big headache for all rec leagues. Not only will this hurt the smaller leagues, but it will hurt volunteer numbers that will not want to deal with this.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by B34R DOWN » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:54 am

In my eyes Select teams only work for bigger leagues... This will further the gap between All-star teams amongst the bigger and smaller leagues... Also I think Select will have the opposite effect than what ASA intended... I see parents using it as an excuse to take their kids to Travel ball because, "Little Suzie was on the SELECT Team for 1 year!!! She is too good for the Rec kids..."
B34R DOWN

by DC Dad » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:28 pm

The So Cal ASA is having their annual Rec Ball League conference this Sunday 11/23 at the Hotel Irvine (Formerly Hyatt Regency Irvine). On-site registration: $60.00

Topics among others:
*2015 Rule Changes
*2015 All Star Eligibility
*New 2015 Select "B"

If anyone attends, please post your findings & thoughts.
DC Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Coach_Larry » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:15 am

I don't see it as necessarily negative. I think that well organized B leagues should be able to do an excellent job of providing an alternative to low level travel ball. Many of them have the infrastructure and resources needed to make such a team successful. I don't look at it as the big leagues having an advantage over the small leagues if well executed. I see it as a chance for the big leagues to finally maximize what they have built, and to capitalize on their demographic. It will also bring in better coaching to the league, and set goals for younger players. All of this while still playing ball with your schoolmates; doesn't sound half bad.
Coach_Larry
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:37 am

Coach_Larry wrote:I don't see it as necessarily negative. I think that well organized B leagues should be able to do an excellent job of providing an alternative to low level travel ball. Many of them have the infrastructure and resources needed to make such a team successful. I don't look at it as the big leagues having an advantage over the small leagues if well executed. I see it as a chance for the big leagues to finally maximize what they have built, and to capitalize on their demographic. It will also bring in better coaching to the league, and set goals for younger players. All of this while still playing ball with your schoolmates; doesn't sound half bad.

I am not buying it. Well organized leagues are already taking care of the skilled player. Rec has always been a place where friends play together. Now they can play together on rec teams and then separate on Sundays when the select player heads off to her friendlies. Should be a fun dynamic and of course parents will just love it. :roll:
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by respectthegame » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:25 am

Correct me if I am wrong but does this make sense: Teams that form select teams are not eligible to play all stars if their team continues to play after March 31st. What is the purpose of this? They can play travel ball until this date anyway so why even create it if it doesn't change what they can do. The select teams can only practice on "league" days off which is basically Sundays. It sure doesnt make much sense to me. Please expain
respectthegame
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DC Dad » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:05 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but does this make sense: Teams that form select teams are not eligible to play all stars if their team continues to play after March 31st. What is the purpose of this? They can play travel ball until this date anyway so why even create it if it doesn't change what they can do. The select teams can only practice on "league" days off which is basically Sundays. It sure doesn't make much sense to me. Please explain

From what I understand there will be separate Select Team Tournaments running simultaneously as All-Star Tournaments. I'm guessing ASA wants to "freeze" Select Team rosters/players, so they have to choose one way or the other.
Smaller leagues will probably only have enough talent to form one Select Team or one All-Star Team per age division. Its going to be interesting to see which way REC leagues go...Select or All-Stars. I know from my experience, the Rec ball girls love the whole idea about becoming an All-Star. Does being a Select Team player carry the same excitement in a 10yo?
DC Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Dongers Army » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:21 pm

Often times change is hard to deal with at first, but ultimately things work out. In this instance I do not believe that will be the case. This is a complete train wreck waiting to happen.

My favorite part of the whole Select conversation is how ASA is communicating the potential changes; leaking bits and pieces of information so the crazy parents can act consistently crazy, but not enough details for leagues to communicate or formulate a plan to implement. Rec Leagues may (or may not) receive definitive information at some point in November and then have less than 2 months to react, change By-Laws, and implement a program that will ultimately hurt a majority of their league (if a league has 6 teams, and the Select team is uniquely large and accepts 20+ players, that leaves 40+ players upset with the system).

There is nothing about this plan that benefits the girls. Girls that are not chosen will rightfully feel slighted and girls that are chosen will no longer be allowed to play on their "t-shirt Travel team" against theoretically superior talent on Sundays as the larger leagues typically support. There will be completely unnecessary division between the "Select" players and non-Select players, ASA will be feeding the parents delusional beliefs that their 9-12 year old daughter is the next Jennie Finch, all while crushing the dreams of 60% of the players in each rec league.

Confusion will ensue, motivation to earn a spot on an All Star team will disappear after the pre-season Select try out is completed, feelings will be hurt, and the parents will have new reasons to complain about the process and inherent Daddy Ball found in Rec Leagues.

The impact of not making Select vs. All Stars will be heightened, as the system is set up for all of the kids to play together on Saturdays and then exclude a majority of the league for the Sunday Select games.

If the goal is to attempt to reduce the number of players leaving for travel ball, that ship has sailed. Just look at HeyBucket where there are 3 pages of messages from people ranking top 2004 teams - 10u teams in the month of November - before the Turkey Tournaments and Toys for Tots tournaments.

Regardless of what happens, I will support my older daughter's travel team and younger daughter's rec team and take whatever ASA does as a parenting opportunity.
Dongers Army

Next

Return to CA