Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

New Socal ASA rec. rules?

by artomatic » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:31 pm

tbjd33 wrote:All of these rules defeat the purpose of "Rec Ball". Selecting a team as the new rules state take away the fun of rec ball. Part of the fun is waiting to get your name called by the Gold or Silver coach. Part of the fun as parents is seeing the girls work to get on the teams. At the lower levels it all means squat so why put this pressure on these young DDs. The game has enough pressure once they get older any way.

Just my humble opinion cause as I go through it again I see the flaws and mistakes.

Well I'm not sure quite how to say this but...I think I agree with tbjd33... :shock:
Better be careful or you are going to wake up one day and find out you have turned into one of the old timers on Heybucket...

I also went through it twice with two daughters, my oldest played through high school but was never that into it, and then our youngest who was and still is into it.

My best memories are the rec/all star years, through 10's, and the travel years in 12's and 1st year 14's.
After that, it was more being swept along the recruiting white water rapids without much control.
I understand a lot has changed since my youngest left rec after 10's (fall of 2006) and now is a sophomore in college. But I think I can safely say that for the bigger rec leagues around LA and Orange County in Socal, the only change will be pissed off parents earlier in the season, and the know-it-alls jockeying for position in the new All Star era, which when it gets to that time of the season, won't really change much.

Seems to me that ASA has joined the rush to make this a job at a younger age.
Just my weak humble opinion of course...
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:06 pm

artomatic wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:All of these rules defeat the purpose of "Rec Ball". Selecting a team as the new rules state take away the fun of rec ball. Part of the fun is waiting to get your name called by the Gold or Silver coach. Part of the fun as parents is seeing the girls work to get on the teams. At the lower levels it all means squat so why put this pressure on these young DDs. The game has enough pressure once they get older any way.

Just my humble opinion cause as I go through it again I see the flaws and mistakes.

Well I'm not sure quite how to say this but...I think I agree with tbjd33... :shock:
Better be careful or you are going to wake up one day and find out you have turned into one of the old timers on Heybucket...

I also went through it twice with two daughters, my oldest played through high school but was never that into it, and then our youngest who was and still is into it.

My best memories are the rec/all star years, through 10's, and the travel years in 12's and 1st year 14's.
After that, it was more being swept along the recruiting white water rapids without much control.
I understand a lot has changed since my youngest left rec after 10's (fall of 2006) and now is a sophomore in college. But I think I can safely say that for the bigger rec leagues around LA and Orange County in Socal, the only change will be pissed off parents earlier in the season, and the know-it-alls jockeying for position in the new All Star era, which when it gets to that time of the season, won't really change much.

Seems to me that ASA has joined the rush to make this a job at a younger age.
Just my weak humble opinion of course...

Arto you would be surprised how much I agree with most everyone here. But this is a forum to create dialogue and I find myself goin against the grain to help foster thoughts. Otherwise why log on in my view.

Man I actually felt bad and was a bit emotional when I watched my 7u during meaningless fall tryouts. I had a flash back and realized my older DD when! When she could catch... When she had no idea... When she was afraid... When she couldnt hit water if she was jumping off a boat... I realized how far she has grown and matured. She was at a showcase and I chose to support my younger for her try out. Was the best choice. Ok so happy I get to do it again...

I'm getting gushy eyed(please no I'm a diabolical competitor!) now cause this sport is good to our DDs if done right. Us parents make it sour for them. These ASA rules add to the sourness. My oldest fondest memory is winning 8u "B" state championship. She won them ALL since but that sparked her love. I still remember the call and her excitement making the Gold team that year. Similar excitement getting her first offer from a perennial D1 power from a legendary coach. Weird but gentleman it's all relative!

Ok I'm done.... Remember this is for our DD's then put everything else into perspective.
tbjd33

by Coach_Larry » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:32 pm

norcal much cleaner. Socal Should start with 14U for first year. Let the 8th graders play 100% unrestricted since HS players get to come back in May anyway. Must register with league, and no concurrent TB team should be only restriction on select team. Then do the 12's next year, with a few modifications. What's the anouncement rumor on the 5th that will blow this wide open? Care to share?
Coach_Larry
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Coach_Larry » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:11 am

McGee wrote:The viability of rec ball in the older divisions is definitely threatened by the movement of lower level players to travel teams. Many leagues may have trouble forming viable teams as many players who could pitch and contribute at the rec level are now playing "tee shirt" travel.
The indirect issue is new players coming to the game at the 12U level may have no where to learn and build their skills. There will be leagues where teams have no pitching and only a few kids who can lead the others. I wonder if we are killing the golden goose.
At the same time, a higher level of competition is generally a good thing but we need a solid place to gender basic skills in the first place.

the fact that lower level TB teams are so incredibly awful, proves the need for rec leagues to take ownership of the product they are producing. This rule change could have positive, indirect effect on the younger divisions by pulling up the bottom from a higher level.
The new 12U player issue is an interesting point, but I think having one select team will not necessarily blow up the large 12U rec division. Pitchers will always want circle time, so as long as you keep them in the league, you have a chance to place them onto non-select teams. For 10/12U, select players who pitch should be drafted onto to rec teams, as usual. This should not effect the select team much, if they carry a typically sized TB roster.

As the coach of a group of local rec girls who play a LOT of off season TB events, I can say with certainty that the rec bar can be raised considerably if the league's are allowed to do so. The community leagues have resources that are not available to the typical small-shop travel group.
Money, brainy boards, and access are huge pluses, and should be put to better use IMO.
Coach_Larry
Premium Member
Premium Member

by B34R DOWN » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:12 am

I already see what Select is doing and the Spring season hasn't even started yet... It is not keeping girls down in Rec to learn. It is accelerating them to a certain level (ego) and then Travel Ball is where they are planning on going... I can see whole teams playing Select for a full year plus All-Stars and then jumping ship from the Rec leagues and becoming a TB team... ASA has shot it's self in the foot. Small leagues will flounder and lose any talent they have to the bigger leagues with better Select teams... Then the girls will be jumping to TB... I don't see how this makes the product better... oh and I am not talking 12-14U I am talking 10u and even 8u...
B34R DOWN

by Nicelag » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:32 am

Re: New Socal ASA rec. rules?

by Coach_Larry » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:32 pm

norcal much cleaner. Socal Should start with 14U for first year. Let the 8th graders play 100% unrestricted since HS players get to come back in May anyway. Must register with league, and no concurrent TB team should be only restriction on select team. Then do the 12's next year, with a few modifications. What's the anouncement rumor on the 5th that will blow this wide open? Care to share?

CoachLarry,

Who knows what will happen on the 5th. However the rumor is that ASA is a little miffed that more teams aren't interested in this. Especially at the "C" level. However, the "C" level teams have more to lose by far. As far as other rumors? There are lots of them i.e. they may make teams do Select, and with that they may have double headers on Sundays for the select teams. If that's the case I don't get it. Rec practice + (2) games during the week, then a Select double header on Sunday? At that rate you may as well play travel.

Again, lots of rumors. Guess we will find out in about 10 days...
Nicelag

by Coach_Larry » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:11 pm

They will have to dump the mandatory dual team nonsense. Pick the select team, and call other girls up for occasional guest spots during spring rec. Season. "Select" girls who want to do both (e.g. pitchers) can do both. Finalize B roster for all stars, including call-ups and bump-downs at usual time. Silver team plays C or B districts by board decision.

I just woke up from a nap, so don't yell at me.
Coach_Larry
Premium Member
Premium Member

by rlblue82 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:49 pm

Well one thing I think ASA and the REC leagues should consider is splitting the age groups into competitive and noncompetitive skillsets. My boys play baseball and this setup works pretty well. Doing this allows kids with similar skillsets to compete against each other. There won’t be a large gap between capabilities amongst the players. The difference between each team’s number one player and their number 12 player would be minimal. But the catch is; doing something like this only works for large leagues with adequate field space and time.

Regarding select teams, I think doing something like this is a good idea. It might take a few seasons to find the right recipe but I believe doing something is a step in the right direction. Making advances to the game is a natural progression for sports. Reading through some of the potential rules the one I don’t like the most is having the girls play both on their select teams as well as the rec teams. If a semi-travel/select team is going to be put together the girls shouldn’t play on a rec team as well as this one in my opinion. Let them practice and play with their select team and complete against other select teams while representing their respective leagues.
rlblue82

Previous

Return to CA