Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

How do teams handle tryouts?

by Carl Spackler » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:33 pm

I agree. Any player who comes to a tryout out of shape should just pack their bat bag a leave. I don't see a problem with minor conditioning/ warmups. As a coach, you can tell who is athletic by conditioning drills too. College conditioning is extreme so 16/18 players should prepare.
Carl Spackler

by MVPETE » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:49 pm

My DD's older team is all about conditioning, the girls who can't or won't hang are weeded out.
MVPETE

by Iluvblue » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:34 pm

There was a very overweight pitcher at Arizona St eight or so years ago, I bet she would have been weeded out during some conditioning drills. She was a stud.

Veronica Nelson from Cal a few years ago likely would have been booted also. She was a decent hitter.

Being on a regular program and "conditioning," once a week are very different things. Those college teams do it on a regular basis and chart progress. They also tailor programs for the individual. I dont understand how any conditioning could come in to play at a tryout.

Obviously a kid that couldnt even complete the tryout due to being out of shape would stick out pretty bad. Havent seen too many kids like that trying out for a serious team.
Iluvblue

by crazy softball peeps » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:18 am

We went to a tryout that was suppose to start early, we were there didn't start for an hour after that. They had a line of girls standing in one spot while 4 coaches timed one girl at a time....... ARE YOU KIDDDING ME!!!!???? This took forever. Longest tryout of our lives. If that ever happens again I'm pulling my daughter. What a waste of time. Coaches had no plan and didn't know what they were doing.
crazy softball peeps

by upurbox » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:02 pm

crazy softball peeps wrote:We went to a tryout that was suppose to start early, we were there didn't start for an hour after that. They had a line of girls standing in one spot while 4 coaches timed one girl at a time....... ARE YOU KIDDDING ME!!!!???? This took forever. Longest tryout of our lives. If that ever happens again I'm pulling my daughter. What a waste of time. Coaches had no plan and didn't know what they were doing.

What age group?
PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN STAIRS...
upurbox

by crazy softball peeps » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:33 am

12u.... second year
crazy softball peeps

Previous

Return to CA