Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

GOOD and BAD tryouts

by Dowhatulike » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:50 pm

What were some good tryouts lately and what were some bad??? Heard a lot of teams are not having descent tryouts lately!
Dowhatulike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by BB2830 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:11 pm

My guess is the Team Mizuno Organizational Cattle Call affected a lot of team tryouts last weekend. Anyone attend and have any info on how many kids showed up? I wonder how many positions were really available to be filled and how many disappointed kids were let go early. Would love to hear details on how it was run, what the turnout was like and overall impressions.
BB2830

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:33 pm

BB2830 wrote:My guess is the Team Mizuno Organizational Cattle Call affected a lot of team tryouts last weekend. Anyone attend and have any info on how many kids showed up? I wonder how many positions were really available to be filled and how many disappointed kids were let go early. Would love to hear details on how it was run, what the turnout was like and overall impressions.

This should give you some idea:

https://www.fullcountsoftball.com/2014/ ... ryout-817/
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Dowhatulike » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:47 pm

Nice article
Dowhatulike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 59Invicta » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:30 pm

Nice article FP Dad, but one inaccuracy - my DD was there (and is actually in the dugout picture :) ) and there weren't 108 girls. I counted about 60. She and I both thought the tryout was well run. Far better than the prior weekend when we travelled to tryouts for teams that listed on HB that "all positions are open", only to be told once we were there, "we're only looking for outfielders", or, "we are only looking for corners - 2 or 3 players max." Total waste of time. Better to wait until the open cattle calls are over and then go for teams that post ads for just a player or two, IMHO.
59Invicta
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:16 pm

Interesting that only 6 OCBB/TM 14u teams were listed. I've seen tryout ads for at least 4 other teams in 14u not listed in the article.
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hurricane » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:39 am

It's like anything else. IF the "name" coaches "like" you, then you will stay on their team. Once there, if they don't like you anymore, they won't release you, but will string you along so you can't/won't go to other teams. When these "name" coaches aren't there, their underlings resort to daddy-ball or relative-ball or friend-of-DD ball and push them forward by neglecting others. That is the nature of competitive Travel Ball. It's vicious and the squeamish need not apply unfortunately.

Sometimes more deserving DD's get shoved aside due to jealously and/or lack of "connectivity". It happens. It shouldn't, but it does. All because parents want that D1 Scholarship for their DD's. And when the parents are coaches or assistant coaches, or "helpers", it's even more cutthroat.

Your only hope is to get lucky. Hopefully your DD doesn't play a position that is coveted by other DD's who have "connections".

The sad part is that everyone knows what is going on. These coaches are completely unaware that all the parents and DD's know the unfairness is going on. But, if it's not happening to your own DD, you dare not say anything because there might be retaliation. Then, when it happens to your DD, you are incredulous and devastated -- then wonder why no one is speaking up!

and the beat goes on
Hurricane

by Dowhatulike » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:55 am

you are definitely right when it comes to dads being coaches or assistant coaches.if you see this I would definitely run away from that team or tryouts.
Dowhatulike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Dowhatulike » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:57 am

Spazsdad wrote:How freakin arrogant.
"We lets kids go early so they can go try out for one of the other "top" organizations."
So they are not good enough for one of the Batbuster teams but good enough for the A's or CA .

sometimes these organizations look just for certain things that they need that's it. That's the way it goes so you have to brush offand keep truckin
Dowhatulike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:20 am

Hurricane wrote:It's like anything else. IF the "name" coaches "like" you, then you will stay on their team. Once there, if they don't like you anymore, they won't release you, but will string you along so you can't/won't go to other teams. When these "name" coaches aren't there, their underlings resort to daddy-ball or relative-ball or friend-of-DD ball and push them forward by neglecting others. That is the nature of competitive Travel Ball. It's vicious and the squeamish need not apply unfortunately.

Sometimes more deserving DD's get shoved aside due to jealously and/or lack of "connectivity". It happens. It shouldn't, but it does. All because parents want that D1 Scholarship for their DD's. And when the parents are coaches or assistant coaches, or "helpers", it's even more cutthroat.

Your only hope is to get lucky. Hopefully your DD doesn't play a position that is coveted by other DD's who have "connections".

The sad part is that everyone knows what is going on. These coaches are completely unaware that all the parents and DD's know the unfairness is going on. But, if it's not happening to your own DD, you dare not say anything because there might be retaliation. Then, when it happens to your DD, you are incredulous and devastated -- then wonder why no one is speaking up!

and the beat goes on

Take off the Daddy Googles... Do you truly think these "name" coaches choose a DD based on Favoritism. They become named coaches because of winning. Last I checked sticking to a favorite girl doesn't win ball games!

My DD plays for a big name coach and you might even classify her as one of his favorites on his team. We went to our tryout to support the team. Then she ripped it up when other DD's where trying out for her spot. No comparison and they didn't make the team. Of course parents didn't see what happened and left pissed not realizing how their DD was out played.

Parents and DD's must realize if one of the coaches see's talent they will pick up that DD. I assume all tryouts had in some way, hitting, fielding , throwing and situations. That's called opportunity and it will serve well to teach DD's to take advantage of it.

Don't be that guy it doesn't help your DD...
tbjd33

Next

Return to CA