GOOD and BAD tryouts

by joaquinjunior » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:43 am

:lol: :roll: :o
joaquinjunior
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hurricane » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:20 pm

Great post! Thanks, Makina.

Makina wrote:Just some thoughts on Personal Experience: Only attend try-outs to Coaches that have good reputation for being upfront and honest to the parent.

I had to laugh at that line, however. Are there any "big name" coaches actually like that from the so-called "top" organizations? :D
Hurricane

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:53 pm

Hurricane wrote:Great post! Thanks, Makina.

Makina wrote:Just some thoughts on Personal Experience: Only attend try-outs to Coaches that have good reputation for being upfront and honest to the parent.

I had to laugh at that line, however. Are there any "big name" coaches actually like that from the so-called "top" organizations? :D

In fairness I have never heard anything or seen anything written here that was negative about Bruce Richardson. And Bret Denio seems to be very well respected. The same can be said about Bill Conroy.

Did I leave anyone out?

I've heard some minor griping about Marty Tyson, but nothing major that I've seen.

Haning (and Hay) have taken some criticism for Surf City tournaments, but that seems to be a thing of the past so I'd say that Haning's rep has also been relatively unscathed from what I've seen.

Rico has definitely taken a lot of criticism, but also has a lot of people that come to his defense.

Up until the now infamous intentional umpire beaning incident this past season I hadn't heard anything bad about Mel Sievers or his org.

Some of the higher profile coaches in some of these organizations, deserved or not, have come under a lot of fire. There's some "Lieutenants" out there with some really bad reps.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MommyBaller » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:23 pm

I like the idea of the org try outs. then let them go asoon as you don't see a fit... but to string a kid on for 2 weekends in a row and then cut them is wrong
MommyBaller

by Casoftball » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:02 pm

How common is it for a coach to offer a roster spot at tryouts and demand an immediate decision?
Casoftball
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:35 pm

Casoftball wrote:How common is it for a coach to offer a roster spot at tryouts and demand an immediate decision?

Six years of TB,,,,every team.
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:34 pm

Casoftball wrote:How common is it for a coach to offer a roster spot at tryouts and demand an immediate decision?

Very common... Usually because coaches are desperate and don't have confidence... The best say, call me tomorrow or come back again. Also questions concerning goals is something you want to hear.
tbjd33

by Hurricane » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:03 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote: Some of the higher profile coaches in some of these organizations, deserved or not, have come under a lot of fire. There's some "Lieutenants" out there with some really bad reps.

thanks for sharing your experience fpd05.

I think you hit it on the head with the last sentence. A lot of these "lieutenants" (purposely lower-cased BTW) or who I call the "underlings" usually are the ones running the practices, Friendlies, etc. and maybe some "lesser" tournaments. These "lieutenants" then filter their reports to the "name" head coach. This is what big time TB has become and until the parents and TB community demand transparency and better communication, it will continue.

Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was.
Hurricane

by Dowhatulike » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:31 pm

there are a lot of coaches out there right now who think they know everything and they only been coaching for one or two years.there is one organization just keeps building and building and building and it is getting water down trust me I don't want to say names but come on it's gotta stop
Dowhatulike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:35 pm

Dowhatulike wrote:there are a lot of coaches out there right now who think they know everything and they only been coaching for one or two years.there is one organization just keeps building and building and building and it is getting water down trust me I don't want to say names but come on it's gotta stop

Could it possibly be the FIRECRACKER organization? Ha ha.
tbjd33

PreviousNext

Return to CA