Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

GOOD and BAD tryouts

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:59 am

59Invicta wrote:Nice article FP Dad, but one inaccuracy - my DD was there (and is actually in the dugout picture :) ) and there weren't 108 girls. I counted about 60. She and I both thought the tryout was well run. Far better than the prior weekend when we travelled to tryouts for teams that listed on HB that "all positions are open", only to be told once we were there, "we're only looking for outfielders", or, "we are only looking for corners - 2 or 3 players max." Total waste of time. Better to wait until the open cattle calls are over and then go for teams that post ads for just a player or two, IMHO.

Hmm...I doubt Brennt Eads over at Full Count Softball would have come up with an arbitrary number of 108. I wonder why he would have such a different count?
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hurricane » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:33 pm

tbjd33 wrote:
Hurricane wrote:It's like anything else. IF the "name" coaches "like" you, then you will stay on their team. Once there, if they don't like you anymore, they won't release you, but will string you along so you can't/won't go to other teams. When these "name" coaches aren't there, their underlings resort to daddy-ball or relative-ball or friend-of-DD ball and push them forward by neglecting others. That is the nature of competitive Travel Ball. It's vicious and the squeamish need not apply unfortunately.

Sometimes more deserving DD's get shoved aside due to jealously and/or lack of "connectivity". It happens. It shouldn't, but it does. All because parents want that D1 Scholarship for their DD's. And when the parents are coaches or assistant coaches, or "helpers", it's even more cutthroat.

Your only hope is to get lucky. Hopefully your DD doesn't play a position that is coveted by other DD's who have "connections".

The sad part is that everyone knows what is going on. These coaches are completely unaware that all the parents and DD's know the unfairness is going on. But, if it's not happening to your own DD, you dare not say anything because there might be retaliation. Then, when it happens to your DD, you are incredulous and devastated -- then wonder why no one is speaking up!

and the beat goes on

Take off the Daddy Googles... Do you truly think these "name" coaches choose a DD based on Favoritism. They become named coaches because of winning. Last I checked sticking to a favorite girl doesn't win ball games!

My DD plays for a big name coach and you might even classify her as one of his favorites on his team. We went to our tryout to support the team. Then she ripped it up when other DD's where trying out for her spot. No comparison and they didn't make the team. Of course parents didn't see what happened and left pissed not realizing how their DD was out played.

Parents and DD's must realize if one of the coaches see's talent they will pick up that DD. I assume all tryouts had in some way, hitting, fielding , throwing and situations. That's called opportunity and it will serve well to teach DD's to take advantage of it.

Don't be that guy it doesn't help your DD...

Well, I'm not that guy. I just report what I see going on in the TB community. I'm also trying to make the ugliness of TB a bit more transparent. Please remember we were talking about the younger teams. The big name coaches are hardly there to see the development and practices. They rely on the underlings. When the big name coaches aren't there for friendlies or even some tournaments, then these underlings set the line-up. Some players aren't coached or able to shine due to the "favoritism" from the underlings. Sometimes the big name coach isn't even aware what's going on. But, the other girls and other parents do.

Get your head out of the sand, man.

BTW: good for your DD showing how it's done! I agree with you about opportunity. When it appears, you have to take advantage of it. Especially during tryouts. But my underlying message was not so much about tryouts but more for others to squint their wide-eyes.
Hurricane

by tbjd33 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:04 pm

Hurricane all I can say is the lower divisions are not as important as most think. I too thought 12u/10u was the center of the universe but found out it wasn't.

This is the reason I don't coach or advocate for Dads coaching. Now before the masses get all twisted there are exceptions but only few. Key is to get DD's ready skill and athletically so when the time comes she's tuned up. My DD isn't the most athletic, tallest or most talented, but she works like one. Oh and don't forget lots of Kleenex cause this stuff is not easy, but I wouldn't trade it either. I'm glad I have a 7u to go though it all over again soon...
tbjd33

by 59Invicta » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:59 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
59Invicta wrote:Nice article FP Dad, but one inaccuracy - my DD was there (and is actually in the dugout picture :) ) and there weren't 108 girls. I counted about 60. She and I both thought the tryout was well run. Far better than the prior weekend when we travelled to tryouts for teams that listed on HB that "all positions are open", only to be told once we were there, "we're only looking for outfielders", or, "we are only looking for corners - 2 or 3 players max." Total waste of time. Better to wait until the open cattle calls are over and then go for teams that post ads for just a player or two, IMHO.

Hmm...I doubt Brennt Eads over at Full Count Softball would have come up with an arbitrary number of 108. I wonder why he would have such a different count?

Not sure, but I was there and I counted. He may have just looked at the tryout numbers, which went up to #108, but there were big gaps in the numbers - they didn't go in sequence.
59Invicta
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:16 pm

Spazsdad wrote:How freakin arrogant.
"We lets kids go early so they can go try out for one of the other "top" organizations."
So they are not good enough for one of the Batbuster teams but good enough for the A's or CA .

:lol: tough to spin that one
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hurricane » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:24 pm

tbjd33 wrote:Hurricane all I can say is the lower divisions are not as important as most think. I too thought 12u/10u was the center of the universe but found out it wasn't.

This is the reason I don't coach or advocate for Dads coaching. Now before the masses get all twisted there are exceptions but only few. Key is to get DD's ready skill and athletically so when the time comes she's tuned up. My DD isn't the most athletic, tallest or most talented, but she works like one. Oh and don't forget lots of Kleenex cause this stuff is not easy, but I wouldn't trade it either. I'm glad I have a 7u to go though it all over again soon...

agree. I get it tbj. There is a lot of butt-hurt to go through, but I tell my DD basically that anything doesn't mame you will make you better. A better player. A better person. But the key is exactly what you had mentioned: when the opportunity is there, you must be ready to grab it and go with it. Even if my DD is riding the pines, when it does come for her to play, it's up to her to show the coaches that she should be playing more.
Hurricane

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:43 pm

59Invicta wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:

Not sure, but I was there and I counted. He may have just looked at the tryout numbers, which went up to #108, but there were big gaps in the numbers - they didn't go in sequence.

That may explain it...thanks. And good luck to your DD going forward.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Dowhatulike » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:26 pm

sounds like the so cal choppers try out lol :lol:
Dowhatulike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:55 pm

Fastpitch4Life wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:How freakin arrogant.
"We lets kids go early so they can go try out for one of the other "top" organizations."
So they are not good enough for one of the Batbuster teams but good enough for the A's or CA .

:lol: tough to spin that one

No need to spin true thoughts... That's the normal thought process. Honestly other orgs feel the same, they just haven't had a chance to put it out there like this.
tbjd33

by Makina » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:39 am

Just some thoughts on Personal Experience:

E-mail the coach ahead of time and describe your DD's skills and ask him if they have spots open and whether he is looking for this type of skill set. Unfortunately they do lie and tell you to come anyways.

Only attend try-outs to Coaches that have good reputation for being upfront and honest to the parents.

Stay away from organizations that tell you if they offer you a spot that day, then you have to make a decision right there!

If you want your daughter to try-out for a top notch team - try to get a trusted coach / softball guru to refer your daughter ahead of time. Get some personal time with the coach to discuss your daughters skill set and try and get a work-out/practice with the already 10-12 girls he has already hand picked. The good teams are typically only looking for a few kids to round out the roster. It will also allow you to evaluate the skill level of the team, how the coach actually runs a practice and if your DD can fit into the team.

Truly understand your DD's skill set and if you feel the team is not a fit - don't be afraid to pull her from the try-outs. Instead of the letting the coach cut you kid - You can cut the team.

During the try-outs, seek out the parents with kids already on the team and find out more. If they already have a stud 3rd/1st base and these are your DD's position, then will she be happy always being the back-up?

And fyi if you are truly trying to get on a really elite 18u team, they really don't have try-outs! They usually get privately contacted and if your kid is truly that good, they will bring her to a practice to see if they really want her.

JMHO
Makina

PreviousNext

Return to CA