Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Pick up players for Nationals not such a great thing?

by Play ball » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:15 pm

Team Mom wrote:Parents never seem to be happy :D :D you pickup a player and you have 5 or 6 parents who are mad and you have 5 or 6 that are happy :!: So as a mom who helps it is the same with everything that goes on with the team 5 or 6 people like the idea for a team fundraiser and 5 or 6 dont. Blah Blah Blah a bunch of babies either way :lol: :lol:

Hear this same crap/advise from other parents....until it's your own daughter that has to pay the price. Then it's YOU with the Blah Blah Blah. Only you wont be a baby...you will be a "concerned parent with a legitimate concern" :roll:
I promise, if this happend to your DD this is what you'de look like :shock: then :cry: then :x then :evil:
This is travel ball, but that is not a blanket statement to cover every move a coach may make. It only means we all must be prepared for the UPS and the DOWNS of any competitve sport.
Play ball

by softballmom74 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:15 pm

Team Mom wrote:Parents never seem to be happy :D :D you pickup a player and you have 5 or 6 parents who are mad and you have 5 or 6 that are happy :!: So as a mom who helps it is the same with everything that goes on with the team 5 or 6 people like the idea for a team fundraiser and 5 or 6 dont. Blah Blah Blah a bunch of babies either way :lol: :lol:

AMEN!!!! :P
softballmom74
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Play ball » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:22 pm

softballmom74 wrote:

AMEN!!!! :P

Said the parent with her head in the sand....until someone comes by and kicks her in the A$$ :o
Play ball

by softballmom74 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:26 pm

Bottom line if you are worried about your DD being replaced then obviously she needs to step her game up otherwise why would a coach want to replace her? Evaluate your DD, maybe she isn't the stud you think she is and needs some work. I wouldn't see a coach picking up a player if your kid can get the job done, maybe you need to ask the coach why he is picking up the player and why is she replacing your DD. Every parent thinks their kid is better than what the coach thinks so ask the coach and work on it that way he doesn't have an excuse to play the pick up player. Don't rely on the coach to make you kid better. Also there are Parents who love to be angry and nothing makes them happy and there was probably some history in the past with playing time.
softballmom74
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Play ball » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:31 pm

softballmom74 wrote:Bottom line if you are worried about your DD being replaced then obviously she needs to step her game up otherwise why would a coach want to replace her? Evaluate your DD, maybe she isn't the stud you think she is and needs some work. I wouldn't see a coach picking up a player if your kid can get the job done, maybe you need to ask the coach why he is picking up the player and why is she replacing your DD. Every parent thinks their kid is better than what the coach thinks so ask the coach and work on it that way he doesn't have an excuse to play the pick up player. Don't rely on the coach to make you kid better. Also there are Parents who love to be angry and nothing makes them happy and there was probably some history in the past with playing time.

UMMM....did you even read the OP?
Play ball

by Gone in 2.6 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:38 pm

Play ball wrote:

Hear this same crap/advise from other parents....until it's your own daughter that has to pay the price. Then it's YOU with the Blah Blah Blah. Only you wont be a baby...you will be a "concerned parent with a legitimate concern" :roll:
I promise, if this happend to your DD this is what you'de look like :shock: then :cry: then :x then :evil:
This is travel ball, but that is not a blanket statement to cover every move a coach may make. It only means we all must be prepared for the UPS and the DOWNS of any competitve sport.

That is a blanket statement that you can't possibly know is true.
Not EVERY player or parent is going to get upset. This depends on a couple things:

*The type of kid. Are they comfortable with a team where they constantly have to fight
to stay in the lineup. Is that kind of team a fit for them?

*Expectations. Did the player (and their parents) know what they were getting into?

*Example: Last summer, my dd's team brought back 5 college players, all of them played in the WCWS, 4 of them were starters & 3 of those batted in the top 2. Add to that we had two seniors who were all everything so those positions were also locked up. If you weren't a first baseman or a catcher, the only position to compete for was DP (probably 10 players competing for that gig).

Yet there was ZERO DRAMA started by a player or parent. The families were a good fit for the particular culture of that team and knew what to expect.

Most of the time, blanket statements do not apply in travel ball.
"And as I watch you disappear into the ground
My one mistake was that I never let you down"
Gone in 2.6

by Play ball » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:45 pm

2.6 You do make a good point. However, you must admit the term "get over it, this is travel ball" IS a blanket statement that seems to be applied in most any situation where the parents are unhappy. I'm not saying everyone uses it....but MANY do. YES/NO?
Sad thing is...it is probably applicable more often than not :roll: I'm just sayin' ..."not always."
Play ball

by Gone in 2.6 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:06 pm

Play ball wrote:2.6 You do make a good point. However, you must admit the term "get over it, this is travel ball" IS a blanket statement that seems to be applied in most any situation where the parents are unhappy. I'm not saying everyone uses it....but MANY do. YES/NO?
Sad thing is...it is probably applicable more often than not :roll: I'm just sayin' ..."not always."

It can be used as a blanket statement and it's advice that doesn't really solve or help anything.

This is why for about 5 years on this board and eteamz, I've been like a broken record repeating the "Do your due diligence" mantra. It puts YOU back in control and can prevent
a lot of aggravation. It's not foolproof (some people do lie or change their mind after all) but it can help you a lot.
"And as I watch you disappear into the ground
My one mistake was that I never let you down"
Gone in 2.6

by Play ball » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:28 pm

Gone in 2.6 wrote:
Play ball wrote:2.6 You do make a good point. However, you must admit the term "get over it, this is travel ball" IS a blanket statement that seems to be applied in most any situation where the parents are unhappy. I'm not saying everyone uses it....but MANY do. YES/NO?

It can be used as a blanket statement and it's advice that doesn't really solve or help anything.

This is why for about 5 years on this board and eteamz, I've been like a broken record repeating the "Do your due diligence" mantra. It puts YOU back in control and can prevent
a lot of aggravation.
It's not foolproof (some people do lie or change their mind after all) but it can help you a lot.

AGREED! and GOOD POINT!
Play ball

by DunninLA » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:30 pm

Sounds like there are two approaches possible --

1) put together the best team you can, qualify for Nat'ls, go get insurance with 2-3 pickup players.

2) put together the best team you can, qualify for Nat'ls, then advertise and hold tryouts just after to put together a *new* team consisting of a mix of current players, and 3-4 studs (aka "impact players") who are the All-Stars of the teams that did not qualify. And these 3-4 studs replace in the starting line-up 3-4 original starters (who become backups) and the original backups become wall decoration.

Now, if a coach intending to use the 2nd method makes that clear at tryouts, no problem!. If however it is implied that the team put together stays together through Nationals, then it's deceptive.

The second method seems like it would bite a coach in the butt over the long term ...

So I think the question to ask at tryouts is:

After we qualify for Nationals, do we plan to advertise for Pickup players as insurance, or as replacement for starters?
DunninLA

PreviousNext

Return to CA