Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Pick up players for Nationals not such a great thing?

by stormshadow » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:23 pm

heres words from a newbie on hey bucket....pick up players are bullshit. you made it to nationals with your team, stick with'em.

the coach/managers that pick up players are trophy chasers. ask the coach/manager this question....why isnt your daughter being replaced by a pick up player? i bet you their daughter wont be sitting on the bench.

if the kid that is being replaced by a pick up player for nationals is thought of as not being good enough, than they should have never been allowed to be part of the team. but than again they needed your check throughout the year but realistically not your kid.

the only time a pick up player should be considered is during an injury. and to be honest, not even during an injury because most teams carry up to 13 players and thats when your back up players come into action. but than again from what i have learned and seen from most organizations, they really dont care about the kids, they just wanna win. because winning keeps the team alive and thats what keeps the money coming in.

these types of coaches/managers/organizations dont care about the kid that showed up to every practice, paid their monthly dues, and gave a 100% at every game.

and yes i do coach/manage a travel ball team right now, and yes we are looking for pick up players, but you better believe it wont be my kid that will be replaced.

so think about this when your team wants to get pick up players...i could be the coach/manager on your team...your kid was good enough to get me to nationals but not good enough to play in nationals, but you kid is could enough to keep paying me dues! but the pick up player that i will replace your kid with gets to play for free! but your kid wont get to play for free...so keep paying me those monthly dues!!!!!
stormshadow

by Hit_It-Far » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:37 pm

:o Pick up players or adding players? Once a parent starts crying about playing time they will always cry. Pick up player or not. Well sounds like your player is playing for playing time not the bigger picture like maybe college.

Competition is good, I guess depending on where you come from and what 18 Gold you play under. You probably will change high schools when your player doesn't make the varsity and of course it's politics. Stop whining and have her compete. If she's slow she's slow you said it yourself. Get her a running coach help her get faster, help her flat out compete. Out
Hit_It-Far

by stormshadow » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:51 pm

the way i manage/coach isnt bullshit.

sometimes the truth hurts peoples feelings. if you have a team that makes it to the big show than that team deserves to play. no one should be replaced by anyone that didnt get them to the big picture.

let me ask you this spaz....if your daughter played catcher all year for me and was good enough to get me to nationals. but now that i'm in nationals i want a stronger catcher that hits better. so i'm gonna bench your daughter the entire time at nationals cause i picked up a better catcher thats hits better. i dont care that your daughter showed up to every practice, you paid all your dues, and spent thousands of dollars to travel to the tourny, cause i'll just tell you its best for the team! cause now we will win. i dont care your daughter feels left out, disappointed, and and your family didnt get to see DD play in the tourny. but thats okay right? cause its best for the team!

no thats bullshit, you stick with your players through the thick and thin.

and yes its bullshit what we are doing to our players, but its parents that want to win. they dont care about the other kids...they want to win with their dd playing. if the catcher has a weak bat, replace her cause than my DD will win! that they'll never admit that.

i'm a coach that sticks loyally to my kids even when we lose. unfortunately the two owners of the organization dont care about loyalty, they care about winning, winning makes happy parents, that stay on the team and keep paying dues. as long as it aint my kid getting replaced who cares right?

thats what most parents think....not meant to offend you in anyway spaz
stormshadow

by Surehitter » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:27 pm

:oops: Yea pick up players are part of the world of going to ASA Nationals if you are not on a team that already carries 16 - 20 players. My daughter has been on both sides of this issue, as long as the coach was up front when he layed out the plan for the season I never had any issues. If you don't want to deal with pick up players etc find a team that is going to Triple Crown and make sure your daughter does not play the same position as any of the coachs daughter and you will have tons of fun.
Surehitter

Previous

Return to CA