Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Stockton 18U Gold Qualifier

by Blind Squirrel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:32 am

Demonboy wrote:
Blind Squirrel wrote:
Iluvblue wrote:Is anyone really surprised Lady magic qualified? those of you who want to take away from their 16u title just dont get it. There was no doubt in my mind they would get it done. The kids that are studs in 12s are studs in 14s, and then they get to gold and they are the studs in Gold. Nothing changes.

Congrats to the Magic, nothing but my respect to them and their coaches. Starting young, staying together and getting it done every year.

Begs the question: Why aren't top college coaches trying to get early verbals from 12U "studs?" (Maybe I'm just ignorant and the aforementioned "studs" DID verbal years ago, along with their peers, if they have any.)

John

Because if Iluvblue was any further off base, there'd be a pick off throw.

ILB, does the above help.

John
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Iluvblue » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:21 am

Well if that is the quote, then we see a different softball world.

I started in 12u, then 14, the 18, then 14, then 16 now 14 again. Also coached 4 years Varsity HS. The best players arent avg in 12u and then become great at 16. They are the best players in 12s and each year after that, they continue to be the best players.

Sure you have a few that come out of nowhere, but those are primarily pitchers, NOT position players.
Iluvblue

by Blind Squirrel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:46 am

Iluvblue wrote:Well if that is the quote, then we see a different softball world.

I started in 12u, then 14, the 18, then 14, then 16 now 14 again. Also coached 4 years Varsity HS. The best players arent avg in 12u and then become great at 16. They are the best players in 12s and each year after that, they continue to be the best players.

Sure you have a few that come out of nowhere, but those are primarily pitchers, NOT position players.

Of course we see a different softball world. You're in NorCal, I am in SoCal. (No need for anger - that was an obvious joke).

Perhaps the disconnect is due to different views of what a stud is. It might be helpful if you describe what the term means to you.

I still have to wonder why top college programs aren't trying to get verbals from more 14 year olds if it is so obvious, so early, who the best players will be in college?

John
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by lv2earat8 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:54 am

I still have to wonder why top college programs aren't trying to get verbals from more 14 year olds if it is so obvious, so early, who the best players will be in college"

Well how old are the high school sophmore's and freshman that have already verbaled? My guess is 14 or 15. I think there are more than you think
Last edited by lv2earat8 on Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
God is great,beer is good,people are CRAZY!
lv2earat8

by Iluvblue » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:57 am

Ok, here is my view of just a couple players that were obvious studs at 12-14 years old.

Katy Cotta (AZ Hott Shots... personal issiues kept her out of ....you name the school)
Jenae Leles (AZ, US nationals Team)
Alyssa Haber (Stanford, US National team)
Amanda Williams (Batbusters)

That is just a few that really stick out, there are more, but no need to keep rattling names off.

Each one of those kids were already stud players by 14 at the latest, and I know 2 of those 4 were already incredible in 12s.

And getting verbals at 14 would be incredibly stupid. Tons can change in 4 years, coaches come and go, kids decide they want to go somewhere else... who knows why, but it isnt that you cant spot the next generation of star players at 14u nationals.
Iluvblue

by Blind Squirrel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:11 am

lv2earat8 wrote:I still have to wonder why top college programs aren't trying to get verbals from more 14 year olds if it is so obvious, so early, who the best players will be in college"

Well how old are the high school sophmore's and freshman that have already verbaled? My guess is 14 or 15. I think there are more than you think

Actually, there are very, very few 14 year olds who verbal to a major softball program (anyone besides Fowler in the past few years?). The first round of early verbals seems to largely be during the summer before the junior year, at least based on what I saw a couple of years ago. Am I wrong?
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Blind Squirrel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:01 am

Iluvblue wrote:Ok, here is my view of just a couple players that were obvious studs at 12-14 years old.

Katy Cotta (AZ Hott Shots... personal issiues kept her out of ....you name the school)
Jenae Leles (AZ, US nationals Team)
Alyssa Haber (Stanford, US National team)
Amanda Williams (Batbusters)

That is just a few that really stick out, there are more, but no need to keep rattling names off.

Each one of those kids were already stud players by 14 at the latest, and I know 2 of those 4 were already incredible in 12s.

And getting verbals at 14 would be incredibly stupid. Tons can change in 4 years, coaches come and go, kids decide they want to go somewhere else... who knows why, but it isnt that you cant spot the next generation of star players at 14u nationals.

Okay, so you define studs as the next generation of star players. That would put them in the top fraction of 1% of softball players their age. In that case, I agree that most of the top 20 or so players in the nation at 14s will be top players at 18s. Your standard is higher than most.

Though you have coached HS Varsity, I give you credit for having the balls to level such a harsh indictment ("incredibly stupid") against many of the biggest name college coaches in the nation. Unless of course you see a significant difference between a kid's situation at 14 (your number) vs 15 years old.

John
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sftbll4ever » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:10 am

Blind Squirrel wrote:
lv2earat8 wrote:I still have to wonder why top college programs aren't trying to get verbals from more 14 year olds if it is so obvious, so early, who the best players will be in college"

Actually, there are very, very few 14 year olds who verbal to a major softball program (anyone besides Fowler in the past few years?). The first round of early verbals seems to largely be during the summer before the junior year, at least based on what I saw a couple of years ago. Am I wrong?

There are MANY girls who come out of 16u National's with verbals. I know of about 4 pitchers that before their sophomore years had already verbaled.
Sftbll4ever

by Blind Squirrel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:31 am

Sftbll4ever wrote:
Blind Squirrel wrote:

There are MANY girls who come out of 16u National's with verbals. I know of about 4 pitchers that before their sophomore years had already verbaled.

If your statement is true that there have already been MANY such kids, then I am wrong and stand corrected (assuming you are talking about kids who got athletic scholarship offers to verbal to big time college softball programs). I did not know that was the case.

Anyone have a list of the pre-sophmore kids who have already committed this year and to where? It'll be interesting to track the kids on the list after 16U Nationals and see what they do in college.

John
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Iluvblue » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:09 pm

My examples were the very best players to come out of this area in the past 5-7 years. There are many other examples of players that are just below those kids, but same thing applies.

And yes, i will say that those teams recruiting 15 year olds are stupid. I know why they do it, I understand why they do it, and if everyone else is gonna do it, I guess you have to follow along, but it is not smart. But verballing at 15 is not smart on the part of the player IMO. But, it does go to show that at age 15, studs are easy to see, otherwise schools wouldnt go after these kids.

At 15 a kid has likely just finished her Soph year. In the next 2 years she could have any number of things pop up that negatively impacts her choice of schools. In any event, it is what it is.

Back to my original point though.... it is not hard to spot the stud players at 12u, and 14u at the latest.
Iluvblue

PreviousNext

Return to CA