Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Disappointing Zoom into June

by SeeBallHitBall » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:32 pm

My daughter was at Noble Creek and it was a pretty cool experience but her team was certainly not the center of attention. This was my first time at a showcase and after seeing the schedule it became apparent that there certainly are the have's and the have-nots. If you weren't named Sorcerers or associated with Firecrackers, or perhaps a larger So Cal org then not many coaches were around.

I have no problem with that and my daughter's team played against lesser name programs. Clearly the goal for any program is to convince the TD to get you scheduled against the well known programs. There were a few coaches that stopped, grabbed profile sheets and watch our games for a while but I don't even think any of girls had written letters as they are new to this world.

I did see UA, ASU, UCLA, Tenn (Weekly was there), Cal, MIch, Mich St, Utah, Northwestern, Syracuse, Md, Oregon, Oklahoma off the top of my head so the environment was unique.

I do feel bad for those that weren't at Diamond Valley or Noble Creek if there were less coaches in attendance. I am a little concerned for next year if the participant list grows and teams are sent even further around the high desert. It is probably already challenging enough for coaches navigating between Beaumont and Hemet.
SeeBallHitBall

by Under the Radar » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:49 pm

I am just curious where this huge number of College Coaches were. I was at Diamond Valley on Friday and there were about 80 to 100 schools there for the camp & I am sure they were there for Friday night games. On Sat at Diamond Valley I counted 2 to 5 milling around each field. so maybe 25 to 30 at the whole complex. At Cal Oaks there were only 1 that I know of for sure as they came specifically to see some of my players & on Sunday at Patricia Birdsaw Complex we saw 3 walking around, No big deal I thought it was a typical TCS deal, hit or miss. all in all it was a good time. just alot of travel. It is always good to see Uno working the Grill.
Under the Radar
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Under the Radar » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:55 pm

NumeroUno wrote:
sbmamatoo wrote:I just wanted to voice my frustration and disappointment about the showcase Zoom into June. We saw 5 college coaches the whole weekend. The fields were terrible and were never prepped before any game that we played. I'm assuming they just did them for the first game in the morning. It was hard to see what was fair or foul cos the lines had hardly any chalk on them whenever we played.
What's disappointing is that we have the players email coaches for weeks in advance and from what I heard they were all at one place, Diamond valley.
We get the girls all pumped up about the Zoom into June showcase and prepared for it as they're all working hard to get a scholarship to play ball and I could see the disappointment in their faces after our last game on Sunday. It just plain sucks.

If the fields were bad that was one thing but who's fault is it that the coaches didn't come to the field you were at? Maybe they were not interested in anyone there. Maybe they didn't send enough letters. Maybe the letters weren't vary appealing. Not sure what the reason is. I know three fields had a boat load of scouts every day.

Having two showcases on the same weekend 75 miles apart is not good for anyone. It is not good for the sport, it is not good for the colleges and it certainly is not good for the most important thing the players. It doesn't have to be this way there are plenty of weekends not to over lap each other. Life is so short, lets make the best of it

What field were you playing on, no excuse for not grooming fields

If I recall up until this year Zoom was only 18 & 16u they added 14u this year as a retaliation to Surf City having an Invitational Showcase for 14u exclusively. TCS did what any busine$$ would do,
Under the Radar
Premium Member
Premium Member

by coachbgb » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:57 pm

I spent time over the weekend at 4 different parks. I noticed one big change that i think is the new trend. Big schools and big name coaches all over the place at Noble Creek in Beaumont for the 14u. Many coaches watching some very young kids. Fields there got some grooming every game and dragged every other. The park was great.
My team played at Diamond Valley and Big League Dreams and we had 5 or 6 coaches a game watching and there were plenty around the parks. Not the most Ive seen but definitely worth being there.Fields were maintained as well as could be expected with all fields starting and ending at the same time with only 10 min between. The new building with bathrooms looked great and the new bathrooms made all the difference there. One of the nicest parks in So Cal.
I even stopped in at Winchester to watch a friends team and check it out. I was there for 1 and 1/2 hours and counted 12 coaches that I could see. Not bad for an "off" field.
Over all I would say that it was a well run event with the games staying on time for the most part, great facilities, good snack bars and vendors. The only one I have seen better in recent years is the Boulder Tournament in Colorado. Tons of coaches there. All levels.
coachbgb
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Under the Radar » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:03 pm

coachbgb wrote:I spent time over the weekend at 4 different parks. I noticed one big change that i think is the new trend. Big schools and big name coaches all over the place at Noble Creek in Beaumont for the 14u. Many coaches watching some very young kids. Fields there got some grooming every game and dragged every other. The park was great.
My team played at Diamond Valley and Big League Dreams and we had 5 or 6 coaches a game watching and there were plenty around the parks. Not the most Ive seen but definitely worth being there.Fields were maintained as well as could be expected with all fields starting and ending at the same time with only 10 min between. The new building with bathrooms looked great and the new bathrooms made all the difference there. One of the nicest parks in So Cal.
I even stopped in at Winchester to watch a friends team and check it out. I was there for 1 and 1/2 hours and counted 12 coaches that I could see. Not bad for an "off" field.
Over all I would say that it was a well run event with the games staying on time for the most part, great facilities, good snack bars and vendors. The only one I have seen better in recent years is the Boulder Tournament in Colorado. Tons of coaches there. All levels.

Boulder only has 2 levels 18 & 16
Under the Radar
Premium Member
Premium Member

by coachbgb » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:09 pm

Sorry i meant all levels of colleges at Boulder.
coachbgb
Premium Member
Premium Member

by NumeroUno » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:31 am

Under the Radar

Their were over 200 college books given out over the weekend. Their were over 150 coaches at Diamond Valley Friday, some schools had two coaches.

Saturday Diamond Valley had over 50 coaches check in and Sunday 6 new coaches checked in and there were about 30 in the park.
That is just Diamond Valley I am talking about.

TCS is a business that provides the opportunity for player to play and to be seen by colleges. Just like PGF, Surf City, ASA, USSSA etc I have been to plenty of other showcases that had over 200 teams spread out to hell and back, it's part of the business. I personally want to thank all of the above business for giving all these girls a place to play and compete.

Next stop Colorado, TCS Nationals in Georgia and then the big dawg PGF Nationals in Huntington Beach Ca :)

For those of you that didn't get coaches to their games get your entire team signed up with RTA
http://realtimeathletes.com/heybucket.php
It will make a huge difference
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by bigdog310 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:59 pm

Don't spend your Family time and Money going to these week showcases.

Colorado is the same thing.

Reno is the same thing.

Your better off taking a Family vacation where you want to go.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Parents are taped out from all this :?: :?:
bigdog310

by dabill » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:46 pm

Hey big dog did you mean week like mon-fri or weak like lacking strength?
dabill
Premium Member
Premium Member

by LTGkids » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:07 am

My DD's hitting coach also coaches a top 18U team. He once said to me that he has seen time after time top players get over looked by schools at these showcases. These coaches are a pair of eyes trying to watch hundreds if not thousands of athletes play the game they love.

He says a lot of it is hard work because letters were written, and also plain 'o good luck.

Good Luck to you all, as I too am on the same treadmill.
LTGkids

Previous

Return to CA