Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Disappointing Zoom into June

by sbmamatoo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:38 pm

I just wanted to voice my frustration and disappointment about the showcase Zoom into June. We saw 5 college coaches the whole weekend. The fields were terrible and were never prepped before any game that we played. I'm assuming they just did them for the first game in the morning. It was hard to see what was fair or foul cos the lines had hardly any chalk on them whenever we played.
What's disappointing is that we have the players email coaches for weeks in advance and from what I heard they were all at one place, Diamond valley.
We get the girls all pumped up about the Zoom into June showcase and prepared for it as they're all working hard to get a scholarship to play ball and I could see the disappointment in their faces after our last game on Sunday. It just plain sucks.
sbmamatoo

by OCwildcatMom » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:25 am

The fields were done at the locations I was at. The issue with this showcase is that TCS has now pretty much taken it over & blew it up. They are money driven and do not care if your team gets exposure or not. They blew this event up to over 150 teams spread out over 70 mile radius. I heard recruiters talking about how they could not justify driving to another park as it may take up to an hour to get from field to field. I also heard a lot of complaints that this is happening more and more with TCS . The On Deck Camp was great and the So Cals Finest group did a stellar job. But lets remember what made this event so special in the past is that it was small & tough to get in. But it was all done at 2 locations if I am correct. Now you are placing your teams fate in the hands of a TD in CO who does not care if you get seen or not. I felt sorry for teams from out of state who traveled all that way for a showcase to get shuffled off to Temecula or Winchester..... It is almost becoming as bad as AZ FroShow & Firework/Sparkler, just a big $$$ maker for TCS> I know So Cal's Finest needed to what they needed to do, I just wish they did not sell out to Big $$$ Machine.
Mamma Out.....
OCwildcatMom

by kevin » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:39 am

I just wish they did not sell out to Big $$$

That can be said about softball in general. And getting worse by the day.
kevin

by NumeroUno » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:05 am

sbmamatoo wrote:I just wanted to voice my frustration and disappointment about the showcase Zoom into June. We saw 5 college coaches the whole weekend. The fields were terrible and were never prepped before any game that we played. I'm assuming they just did them for the first game in the morning. It was hard to see what was fair or foul cos the lines had hardly any chalk on them whenever we played.
What's disappointing is that we have the players email coaches for weeks in advance and from what I heard they were all at one place, Diamond valley.
We get the girls all pumped up about the Zoom into June showcase and prepared for it as they're all working hard to get a scholarship to play ball and I could see the disappointment in their faces after our last game on Sunday. It just plain sucks.

If the fields were bad that was one thing but who's fault is it that the coaches didn't come to the field you were at? Maybe they were not interested in anyone there. Maybe they didn't send enough letters. Maybe the letters weren't vary appealing. Not sure what the reason is. I know three fields had a boat load of scouts every day.

Having two showcases on the same weekend 75 miles apart is not good for anyone. It is not good for the sport, it is not good for the colleges and it certainly is not good for the most important thing the players. It doesn't have to be this way there are plenty of weekends not to over lap each other. Life is so short, lets make the best of it

What field were you playing on, no excuse for not grooming fields
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by tnkrbell13 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:47 am

It was hit and miss on field grooming in Beaumont, does watering count as grooming :?:
TCS sent out an email survey this morning. Tell them what they need to hear.
tnkrbell13
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dabill » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:09 pm

I couldn't believe the number of coaches at the Nobel Creek fields on Sat. I even saw Candrea walking around.
dabill
Premium Member
Premium Member

by bugs » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:44 pm

Tons of coaches where we were and the fields were groomed every game and we were not at Diamond Valley. The coaches were like a who's who of college coaching. It was very exciting and we got plenty of looks.

But like every big showcase that uses multiple fields, to make more money unfortunately, those outer fields got no college coaches.

I agree with Numero Uno that why were there two showcases on the same weekend, one in Hemet area and one in Huntington Beach. Is there enough teams to go around I don't know. But there certainly were not enough college coaches as I heard Huntington Beach and Surf City had hardly any coaches.
bugs

by sbmamatoo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:50 pm

That's such a cop out to always blame the girls or the team. It wasn't the girls' fault. They're good quality student athletes. All of them with a GPA of 3.8 or above. Is having sent over 300 letters by the players enough? plus over 50 team letters sent by coaches and team manager? I don't know. This isn't their first rodeo.
It's obscene what they charge and what the teams and players are getting in return.
If all the scouts will be just at one place then don't overbook the showcase with promises listing how many colleges will be in attendance. That's terrible.
sbmamatoo

by Sftbll4ever » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:06 pm

sbmamatoo wrote:That's such a cop out to always blame the girls or the team. It wasn't the girls' fault. They're good quality student athletes. All of them with a GPA of 3.8 or above. Is having sent over 300 letters by the players enough? plus over 50 team letters sent by coaches and team manager? I don't know. This isn't their first rodeo.
It's obscene what they charge and what the teams and players are getting in return.
If all the scouts will be just at one place then don't overbook the showcase with promises listing how many colleges will be in attendance. That's terrible.

GPA doesn't always have anything to do with it and neither does sending out 300 e-mails. Yes, it has a lot to do with the fields you are on and what team you play for. As for your coaches and team manager sending out letters, really, ours rarely sent out letters (emails), ours called the coaches personally.

As for not overbooking, it's a lose/lose situation, if they overbook it's terrible, if they limit the number of teams, it's the good ole' boys looking out for each other. No one is happy. If the price is too much for you (which it is), then just don't go and save the money for attending camps/clinics.
Sftbll4ever

by NumeroUno » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:13 pm

sbmamatoo what field were you at?

So if a bunch of the other fields had coaches and the place you say you played only had 5, what do you think the reason behind that is?
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

Next

Return to CA