Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Rec All Star Question

by CoachKari » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:43 pm

If a player plays 12U rec the entire regular season, can a league place that player on a 14U all star team? I know if a player plays up an age division, she can play all stars back down in her correct age group. I have read the SoCal ASA Yellowbook and nothing is stated about players moving up an age group in which they did not participate at all during the regular season.

I am no longer in rec but there are some local 12u players who do not want to join a travel team because they have been told they will be placed on the 14u all star team to fill the roster. I just would like to know if ASA SoCal allows this.

Thanks! Have a great weekend of softball. :D
CoachKari

by eclipse09 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:48 am

CoachKari wrote:If a player plays 12U rec the entire regular season, can a league place that player on a 14U all star team? I know if a player plays up an age division, she can play all stars back down in her correct age group. I have read the SoCal ASA Yellowbook and nothing is stated about players moving up an age group in which they did not participate at all during the regular season.

I am no longer in rec but there are some local 12u players who do not want to join a travel team because they have been told they will be placed on the 14u all star team to fill the roster. I just would like to know if ASA SoCal allows this.

Thanks! Have a great weekend of softball. :D

I believe a player that has played the whole year in the division is only eligible for that division (unless she played up), but ASA has been having issues fielding 14u teams in all-stars so they might reconsider. I could be wrong about this so I would contact the local ASA commissioner of her area to get the official ruling.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:37 pm

I'm fairly certain they can move up for all stars. After all, ASA allows pick-up players to move up. You can confirm it with a JO Rec Commissioner - see http://www.socal-asa.org/wp2/junior-oly ... -softball/.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by hicksjr » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:12 pm

SoCal ASA Yellow Book does not specify because there is no rule that dictates playing up....only playing down.

Examples:

A player who is "Age Eligible" 12U, plays 12U all through Rec Ball.....then is asked to play 14U All Stars = *LEGAL*

A player who is "Age Eligible" 14U, plays 12U or 14U all through Rec Ball....then is asked to play 12U All Stars = *ILLEGAL - she is only eligible for 14U*

A player who is "Age Eligible" 12U, plays 14U all through Rec Ball...then is asked to play 14U All-Stars = *LEGAL*

I will tell you though....you DEFINATELY want to check with the commissioner on this. Because at the SoCal ASA Presidents meeting this past year we were told by the commissioner that starting THIS YEAR (2014) if you are 8U playing 10U you are eligible for 8U All Stars, if you are 10U playing 12U you are eligible for 10U All Stars, HOWEVER if you are 12U playing 14U you are INELIGIBLE for 12U All Stars.

I remember this specifically because it was a heated topic.

Good luck to you....
hicksjr
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CoachKari » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:16 pm

Thank you to those who responded. So Cal ASA said that a 12U, who plays 12U all season, may play 14U all stars.
CoachKari

Return to CA