Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

12U / 14U / 16U Try-outs Suggestion for Travel coaches

by bluebetty » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:16 pm

Over the years, I have talked to many parents whose DD's were trying out for travel teams. Their #1 complaint is that the coaches / players / parents were not very friendly / not very welcoming. My DD recently tried out recently for a couple of top travel teams in So Cal (to remain nameless). She's a monster player but she's not going to join a team if the girls are not very friendly. At one 3 hour practice, not one player made even the slightest effort to converse with my DD.

Travel should be competitive but that doesn't mean it should be devoid of human nicities, compassion and general friendliness...especially on the same team. I don't think it's too much to ask to still have a fun enjoyable environment yet still be competitive...especially if you're paying $$$ and going to be spending 15 hours a week with them.

Note to Coaches - If you have a player coming to tryout remind your players to be friendly and welcoming...just a little bit.

Not to parents - Tell your player that it's okay to smile and to be nice to new girls...at least once in a while.

I coached for 7 years and won a few championships, but I prided myself on how friendly all my teams were...how well all the players got along...and how welcoming they were to new players. It was my job as a coach and a parent to prep my team if a new player or 2 were coming to tryout...make sure they were friendly and welcoming. I would even make a game out of it...'Find out 3 things about the new player that you can share by the end of practice.' If my players began to fall back into their comfortable clicks at breaks, leaving a new player isolated...they were running laps.

Get with it coaches. There's more to coaching than hitting grounders and running drills. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
bluebetty

by Nzane » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:20 pm

Last season, when we had any girls tryout, I would remind our players to be nice to the girl, and make her feel at home. But, I've seen this many times. But, after a few practices, the girls do come around. It's seems to be pretty common early on....
Go.....
Angels,
Raiders,
Lakers,
Trojans!
Nzane

by bluebetty » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Nzane wrote:Last season, when we had any girls tryout, I would remind our players to be nice to the girl, and make her feel at home. But, I've seen this many times. But, after a few practices, the girls do come around. It's seems to be pretty common early on....

I completely agree...very common early on and the girls will always come around. Girls in a new environment will look for something they like or something to attach themselves either consciously or even unconsciously. It helps to have those one or two players on a team who have big personalities and are mature enough to go out of their way to help out a new player.

...although there does seem to be a direct connection that starts at the top...friendly coach-friendly players...Grumpy coach-grumpy girls. First impression is everything and we will usually stick with one team for a long time.
bluebetty

by Phantom » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:08 pm

bluebetty wrote:Over the years, I have talked to many parents whose DD's were trying out for travel teams. Their #1 complaint is that the coaches / players / parents were not very friendly / not very welcoming. My DD recently tried out recently for a couple of top travel teams in So Cal (to remain nameless). She's a monster player but she's not going to join a team if the girls are not very friendly. At one 3 hour practice, not one player made even the slightest effort to converse with my DD.

Travel should be competitive but that doesn't mean it should be devoid of human nicities, compassion and general friendliness...especially on the same team. I don't think it's too much to ask to still have a fun enjoyable environment yet still be competitive...especially if you're paying $$$ and going to be spending 15 hours a week with them.

Note to Coaches - If you have a player coming to tryout remind your players to be friendly and welcoming...just a little bit.

Not to parents - Tell your player that it's okay to smile and to be nice to new girls...at least once in a while.

I coached for 7 years and won a few championships, but I prided myself on how friendly all my teams were...how well all the players got along...and how welcoming they were to new players. It was my job as a coach and a parent to prep my team if a new player or 2 were coming to tryout...make sure they were friendly and welcoming. I would even make a game out of it...'Find out 3 things about the new player that you can share by the end of practice.' If my players began to fall back into their comfortable clicks at breaks, leaving a new player isolated...they were running laps.

Get with it coaches. There's more to coaching than hitting grounders and running drills. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

you must be talking about a So Cal team? :lol:
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.
Phantom

by Nzane » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:11 pm

Spazsdad wrote:You don't say what age but a factor may be how close the existing players are to each other. They may feel protective of "one of their own" if a new player may be taking over a position. On the flip side the girls trying out are usually more quiet and reserved since they don't yet "belong" so I think it goes both ways.
Another factor I have seen, if it is a strong team, the girls can pick up pretty quickly if the girl trying out has the talent to be a contributor as opposed to just filling out a uniform.

You hit it perfectly!!
Go.....
Angels,
Raiders,
Lakers,
Trojans!
Nzane

by Redcup » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:50 pm

I noticed you didnt ask about Gold,by 16's ,it's pretty much a job.Coaches don't want to talk to mommy and daddy.Travel ball used to be exlusively for top tier players,it's glorified allstars in the lower divisions.JMO.
Redcup

by bluebetty » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:02 pm

All good info...I love heybucket. Mostly respectful & civilized. I am learning from my peers. My DD is a 95. Playing 14U for the last 8 months...played 16U / 18U last fall and loved the older girls even though it was a bit of a lazy team.

I can even share this info with my DD so she has perspective.

Thanks !!!

...and Congrats to all the 14U teams & players playing hard this weekend in Lancaster !!!
bluebetty

by Phantom » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:26 pm

Redcup wrote:Travel ball used to be exlusively for top tier players,it's glorified allstars and daddyball in the lower divisions.JMO.

EXACTLY :lol:
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.
Phantom

Return to CA