Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Players leaving teams, still owing $$$

by sr_design » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:12 pm

After reading previous posts discussing player start-up costs and monthly fees I was wondering how teams handle situations when a player leaves while still owing money to the team. In a bad economy bad things happen to good people and thru no fault of their own they incur debt. How do teams go about trying to recoup money owed and uniforms and any gear not returned to the team? Especially when there is no communication from the responsible party after the player leaves the team. We had one a couple of years ago who drove a BMW and vacationed in Hawaii but still left the team $75 bucks poorer. It was more trouble than it was worth and we eventually just gave up on trying to recoup the money owed.

I know Legal and liability considerations won't allow it to happen but wouldn't it be great to publish a list of those true deadbeats who leave teams owing money?
sr_design
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Lunatic Fringe » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:02 pm

I've know of coaches that contact the coach of the new team that the kid has gone to see if they will help get the equipment back. Forget about the money, if they are not going to pay, then kick them off the team or at least don't play them until they are current
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.
Mark Twain
Lunatic Fringe

by DDG » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:22 pm

Money is hard to go after once they are gone. As soon as a player falls behind on their financial contributions, the coach/manager has to make a decision; Let them continue to play, or stop them until they are caught up. Most let them play.

Uniforms and equipment are a different story. That is team property, and expensive to replace. I've knocked on a couple of doors getting uni's back from uncooperative parents. If phone calls and electronic communication doesn't work, they usually have time to get everything when you drop by for a visit. Always keep it friendly. Even the priciest uniform is not worth getting ghetto over.
DDG

by sr_design » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:03 am

Thanks for the input. In my experience letting them continue to play while still owing the money rarely has a good result. Anecdotally, it seems like it's kids from broken/single parent homes who struggle with it the most. And those are the kids you want to make it work out for.

Offering hardships helps some players but that passes the burden on to the other families. If your org offers hardships then how do you build it into your budget, communicate it to the team as a whole and account for the money if it's not needed? I suppose we have to rely on the honor system in most cases to determine if a family really needs help.
sr_design
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Drillmaster » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:21 pm

This is a sport that attempts to form an individual's character as well as personal talent. It has been my experience over my years in coaching that the way they treat you is the way they will treat all situations in their lives. The habit they form now follow them right into their adult life.

Pity them and move on.
Drillmaster
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to CA