Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

What were the "High Points and Lows Points" of 12u ASA State

by artomatic » Wed May 27, 2009 11:52 am

Spazsdad wrote:
artomatic wrote:I agree if you go to a state qualifier, you should plan on going to nationals if you qualify.

How many of us play in Triple Crown tournaments with no intention of going to Park City? Their tournaments are qualifiers for their national tournament. Double standard because one is ASA sanctioned?

Correction, I meant ASA qualifiers.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Abagado » Wed May 27, 2009 12:13 pm

I think the original post by Rotatorcuff is being misunderstood.

I believe he is saying that So Cal ASA makes the rules a double edged sword. If I understand correctly, his team planned to go to Western Nationals in Tracy. They had to play in the State tourney to get the Western Nationals berth. Since they qualified for USA/ASA Nationals at State they are being asked to decide if they want to take a berth to Nationals in Illinois on the spot with no warning. With this economy I can understand some families just not being able to afford it and saying thanks but no thanks. No big deal. Just pass the berth down to the next qualified team. I am sure they would be glad to take it. That's what the ASA rules provide:

Article 510
L. Substitute Teams. If for any reason a team cannot compete in the next level of
championship play during the current season, the runner-up team or next highest
eligible team in the respective tournament shall be substituted for the team.
Abagado

by Rotatorcuff » Wed May 27, 2009 12:27 pm

Abagado wrote:I think the original post by Rotatorcuff is being misunderstood.

I believe he is saying that So Cal ASA makes the rules a double edged sword. If I understand correctly, his team planned to go to Western Nationals in Tracy. They had to play in the State tourney to get the Western Nationals berth. Since they qualified for USA/ASA Nationals at State they are being asked to decide if they want to take a berth to Nationals in Illinois on the spot with no warning. With this economy I can understand some families just not being able to afford it and saying thanks but no thanks. No big deal. Just pass the berth down to the next qualified team. I am sure they would be glad to take it. That's what the ASA rules provide:

Article 510
L. Substitute Teams. If for any reason a team cannot compete in the next level of
championship play during the current season, the runner-up team or next highest
eligible team in the respective tournament shall be substituted for the team.

Mr. Abagado,
You have nailed it. Article 510 above says nothing about forfeiting a chance for a berth next year. The ASA officials told our coach we have to accept the berth or we won't be eligible next year. Cool, I want to go. Another team had other plans, most of their families had already left, so having a team meeting to make the decision was not a possibility at this point. Also, being a younger team and having a very good chance of qualifing next year puts the coaches and organization in a tough spot. I guess the question should be: Do you penalize a team for not accepting a berth?

I think not..........there are many deserving teams that would love to take the spot. We're not giving ours up though :)
Rotatorcuff

by Rotatorcuff » Wed May 27, 2009 12:31 pm

:D :D :D :D :D

This thought just crossed my mind...........

Should you penalize for not accepting a birth? :D
Rotatorcuff

by hotwheels » Wed May 27, 2009 12:42 pm

goodeye wrote:
bucndranch wrote:Heard rumor of one team that qualified for regionals that will be going to Triple Crown. Looks like Raiders will be at regionals!

There most likely will be several teams that won't go to Regionals, freeing up spots for more teams. And I would bet that ASA offer berths to more than 2 teams from Regionals.

Xpress 96 will NOT be going to Regionals......Economy is just not cooperating......To do both Regionals and possibly Nationals or Western's is just not possible for many of our parents this year......Had we qualified then we go but we didn't!!......We will go to Park City this year......

Team will be better prepared talent wise to go next year and do better at State and then chase Nationals........Top 10 at So Cal State has a good shot but tied for 13th and then spend $ for Regionals and then spend $ for Nationals or for Western's........Last year we would go but this year "Just ain't happening"

Good Luck to all who go......
hotwheels

by ocdad » Wed May 27, 2009 1:14 pm

Redcup wrote:Why enter state if you didnt want to go or afford it?You guys are IDIOTS!Every kid playing ASA should be at any nationals once.IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only idiot is you for this comment!!!

If you read the post, it clearly states that they attended State so that they would qualify for Western Nationals, which I know was the plans of a few teams attending. With so many berths and a lucky draw you could find yourself qualifying for Nationals quite easily compared to years past.

They were also saying that they were surprised that if they turned down the Berth they would not be able to attend Nationals next year, who knows their situation, maybe a young team looking to gain experience for next year where they feel they would be much strong contenders and have an opportunity to make some noise at Nationals.

Every teams situation is different, don't try to act like yours is the only correct one here.
ocdad

by Redcup » Wed May 27, 2009 2:28 pm

I'm sure every team knew how far to play to qualify for regionals and nationals,why waste everyones time?A parent meeting before the tourney discussing the possibility of qualifying or not would have mitigated this discussion.By the way,everyone is entitled to their opinion. Why play this tourney out?Qualify , go home and enjoy your weekend.ASA required teams to keep playing,risking injury to the athletes.To many egos involved. :twisted: JMO!
Redcup

by ocdad » Wed May 27, 2009 3:16 pm

That was my point, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if they don't agree with yours you call them an idiot? :idea: I understand what you are saying, but did you ever think that most coaches are pretty honest about their team, and most of us know which teams we can beat (most of the time), which teams will beat us (most of the time), and then the teams that it will be a battle against. :o :o :o

So I am pretty sure their were quite a few teams surprised at how far they advanced (some had the help of the brackets & some were surprised at how well their team played) :D , and then quite a few surprised at how early they were out of it (tough bracket draw & underperformance) :oops: . Look Firecrackers didn't even qualify, not sure about CA Rebels but if they did, they did it through the losers bracket. Those are 2 teams consider by brackey to be the 5 best in So Cal.

You call them idiots for considering not going to Nationals, but then you say (if I understand it correctly) they should just quit or throw a game. :o :roll: :oops: I don't think anyone on here can say that is what they want to hear from the coach of their team, "ok girls we don't want to go to Nationals, so lets just throw the game now." I am sure teams like rotator thought if by some chance they did qualify that they could decline and give it to the teams that you say want it. But like the post stated they couldn't, because they would lose any shot at Nationals next year.

I think I understand what rotator was saying, especially from the 97 teams that qualified - they are good teams, but they are not sure how deep they can go in Nationals. No one wants to go & be 2 & out once the elimination starts, and they feel that they just might be that team. I am sure Palomino's 97's don't feel that way & for good reason, but a lot of the others just might.
ocdad

by Redcup » Wed May 27, 2009 6:02 pm

I apologize for calling them "idiots",that was a little harsh,how about Big Dummies.If you attend a qualifier,you may qualify.Some more thought should have been given by those that couldnt go to nats.It just diminishes the integrity of the sport by awarding berths to teams that didnt make it outright.
Redcup

by Make_It_Happen » Wed May 27, 2009 6:14 pm

Last year, a certain first year 12U team went to the state tournament for the experience. They did well and were surprised to qualify for the regional tournament, but of course they went for the experience. Then they were somewhat surprised to qualify for nationals and knew they would have a tough time against the older teams, but of course they went for the experience. They indeed went all the way to Alabama to go 0-2 at nationals.

What happened to that team? They won the state championship this year...

Be Careful What You Wish For?
Make_It_Happen

PreviousNext

Return to CA