Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

What were the "High Points and Lows Points" of 12u ASA State

by Rotatorcuff » Wed May 27, 2009 6:29 pm

I suppose I accept your apology.

Us big dummies were content with going to westerns. I guess after the draw we got :) we should have discussed the opportunites that could potentially become available to us.

There is still one point that doesn't seem to be coming across. ASA requires you to attend states to qual for westerns. We weren't expecting to be vieing with the big dogs to go to NATS so we set our bar a little lower and CHEAPER. As luck, hard work, and tremendous heart and effort that our girls showed battling back put us (coaches and parents) in a position that we hadn't given much consideration. Trust me - I'm jazzed my DD gets her first trip to an ASA National. The predicament that ASA officials put us in just seems lame, not so much for us, but others may pay dearly.

Check out the "Valley Breeze is going to NATS" thread. Someone passed on their berth. Will that team be eligible to qual for NATS next year? I dunno. Nobody yet, has confirmed if this rule really exists.

In any case, we're going to NATIONALS! neener, neener, neener

Sorry redcup, couldn't resist the last little stab. Guess I'm just a big dummy :) When we meet, I'll make sure your REDCUP is full.

Rotatorcuff
Last edited by Rotatorcuff on Thu May 28, 2009 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rotatorcuff

by outsider » Wed May 27, 2009 7:58 pm

Low point going to the restroom @ 2:30 and there were no paper towels or toilet paper in the rest rooms :twisted:
outsider

by crazy softball peeps » Thu May 28, 2009 9:22 am

Was there any teams that stood out that you didn't think would? Just curious of those sleeper teams....
crazy softball peeps

by JustPlayTheGame » Thu May 28, 2009 9:35 am

crazy softball peeps wrote:Was there any teams that stood out that you didn't think would? Just curious of those sleeper teams....

Irvine Sting was strongest of the "sleepers."
San Diego Legacy made it to quarter-finals of winner's bracket beating OC Wildcats 97, but had relatively easy draw.
Revenge 96 played well, especially beating Cal Rebels.
OC Batbusters (Marquez) did well (finalist) with limited pitching and players out with injuries.
Corona Angels (Knighten) had terrific run to get 3rd place.
JustPlayTheGame

by RaeRae56 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:31 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
artomatic wrote:I agree if you go to a state qualifier, you should plan on going to nationals if you qualify.

How many of us play in Triple Crown tournaments with no intention of going to Park City? Their tournaments are qualifiers for their national tournament. Double standard because one is ASA sanctioned?

WOW... very good point Spazsdad!

To add to it too...and Correct me if I'm wrong...but doesn't a team have to play in states to play in westerns? maybe westerns was their intention all along (lower costs, etc) and happened to get a berth (NOT BIRTH for gawds sake) with the expanded number of 12. Why would anybody care? To me, if your team finished outside the expanded number of 12 plus regionals, westerns should probably be on your radar now.
RaeRae56

by Redcup » Thu May 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Rotatorcuff wrote:I suppose I accept your apology.

Us big dummies were content with going to westerns. I guess after the draw we got :) we should have discussed the opportunites that could potentially become available to us.

There is still one point that doesn't seem to be coming across. ASA requires you to attend states to qual for westerns. We weren't expecting to be vieing with the big dogs to go to NATS so we set our bar a little lower and CHEAPER. As luck, hard work, and tremendous heart and effort that our girls showed battling back put us (coaches and parents) in a position that we hadn't given much consideration. Trust me - I'm jazzed my DD gets her first trip to an ASA National. The predicament that ASA officials put us in just seems lame, not so much for us, but others may pay dearly.

Check out the "Valley Breeze is going to NATS" thread. Someone passed on their berth. Will that team be eligible to qual for NATS next year? I dunno. Nobody yet, has confirmed if this rule really exists.

In any case, we're going to NATIONALS! neener, neener, neener

Sorry redcup, couldn't resist the last little stab. Guess I'm just a big dummy :) When we meet, I'll make sure your REDCUP is full.

Rotatorcuff
Well good luck and congrats to the girls and coaches for qualifying.When youre at Nats.we all root for SoCal ,Texas(those guys can party)But never for NorCal(wanabe socal).O'Doyle Rules!
Redcup

by crazy softball peeps » Thu May 28, 2009 5:02 pm

JustPlayTheGame wrote:
crazy softball peeps wrote:Was there any teams that stood out that you didn't think would? Just curious of those sleeper teams....

San Diego Legacy made it to quarter-finals of winner's bracket beating OC Wildcats 97, but had relatively easy draw.
OC Batbusters (Marquez) did well (finalist) with limited pitching and players out with injuries.

WOW that's funny I didn't think Irvine Sting or the Angels were thought of as sleeper teams but ok.... Anyone else?
crazy softball peeps

by JustPlayTheGame » Thu May 28, 2009 6:07 pm

crazy softball peeps wrote:
JustPlayTheGame wrote:

WOW that's funny I didn't think Irvine Sting or the Angels were thought of as sleeper teams but ok.... Anyone else?

The question asks whether any teams stood out that you didn't think would. Following your logic that the word "sleeper" is what the question is all about, you forgot to take me to task for naming OCBB too. However, my comments stand. The teams listed stood out, regardless of their pre-state rankings. Especially Sting, a team that has very quickly moved up the rankings from no where and gained a lot of respect going to the semi-finals in the winner's bracket and placing 4th at State. And the same goes for Legacy, Revenge, OCBB and the Angels as well. IMO they each stood out at State, and that is what the questioner wanted to know. So, rather than arguing over whether "sleeper" is the issue, who stood out in your opinion that you didn't think would?
JustPlayTheGame

Previous

Return to CA