Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Rec league All-Star eligibility

by fastpitchinfo » Sun May 10, 2009 8:01 pm

I'm asking this question for a friend of mine who's daughter made the local rec league's 14u silver team. There are 2 girls on the 14u GOLD team who played only high school ball and not one game in the rec league. Are they eligible for rec all-stars? My friend feels this is not fair to the girls who played the rec season and did not make the all star teams. thanks.
fastpitchinfo

by Scoop n K » Sun May 10, 2009 8:20 pm

From ASA Yellow book for 2009:

D. Player Eligibility.

1. A player must play a minimum of 50 percent of the current season’s league games.
Exception: High school players who are age eligible to return to the 14U Age
Division may return to the league in which they participated during the previous
calendar year. The 14U all-star team shall not include more than four players who
participated in a high school program. A player returning to the 14U Age Division
must have been registered with the league before April 1 of the current year.
Scoop n K
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sftbll4ever » Mon May 11, 2009 8:52 am

fastpitchinfo wrote:I'm asking this question for a friend of mine who's daughter made the local rec league's 14u silver team. There are 2 girls on the 14u GOLD team who played only high school ball and not one game in the rec league. Are they eligible for rec all-stars? My friend feels this is not fair to the girls who played the rec season and did not make the all star teams. thanks.

I think I know what league you are talking about. There is a girl on All Stars that plays for our HS team (JV). HHHHMMMMM!!!!

Edited to say that I see the other player now too.
Sftbll4ever

by fastpitchinfo » Mon May 11, 2009 9:13 am

A player returning to the 14U Age Division

These girls were registered with the league on May 5th.
fastpitchinfo

by Play ball » Mon May 11, 2009 11:13 am

fastpitchinfo wrote:
A player returning to the 14U Age Division

These girls were registered with the league on May 5th.

As per ASA rules...

High school players who are age eligible to participate in 14U division, must be registered within the league by April 1st of the current season in order to do so. These players must also play a minimum of seven (7) league games prior to being selected to the All-Star team.

If May 5th was the date they were registered...they are not eligible. This rule was put into place trying to help the leagues that were not getting enough interest at the 14u level. However, IMO, it is now being abused because you now have HS players bumping players that have played the entire year at the rec level. One local rec league had just shy of 20 applicants for the 14u all star team...end result was that 2 of the spots went to HS players (both JV). One must wonder why JV HS players would want (or need?) to come back to rec for all-stars anyways??? :roll:
Play ball

by girlerl » Mon May 11, 2009 11:29 am

One must wonder why JV HS players would want (or need?) to come back to rec for all-stars anyways???

Have you seen JV teams play? 95% of the player come from Rec. Very few travelball players don't make their Varsity teams, unless their High School program is VERY STRONG.
I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it." -- Rogers Hornsby, two-time National League MVP and 1926 World Series Champion
girlerl

by Play ball » Mon May 11, 2009 12:07 pm

girlerl wrote:
One must wonder why JV HS players would want (or need?) to come back to rec for all-stars anyways???

Have you seen JV teams play? 95% of the player come from Rec. Very few travelball players don't make their Varsity teams, unless their High School program is VERY STONG.

Down here is SD (Palomar League) , you don't see too many Freshman making the Varsity team. Some....but not many. The majority of the JV teams are made up from various travel players and the Freshman teams seem to get most of the rec players. Most of the first year HS players have been playing TB ball for at least a year already. Having said that... many of the local HS's are having a difficult time building Freshman teams. In San Diego, CIF now allows Soph's to play a second year on what used to be only the Freshman team.

How are the LA and OC HS's doing with their Freshman teams?....plenty of interest? Does your CIF allow two years also?
Play ball

by DDG » Tue May 12, 2009 11:48 am

How can a High School player be eligible for Rec Ball all stars?

1. Don’t they have to play a minimum number of Rec ball games to be eligible?
2. If they play any Rec Ball games during HS season, doesn’t it mean a forfeit for the HS team?

We see this attempted locally. Rec League is pissed as they are not running the HS program. Rec league is very weak and has done nothing to justify their stance. Typically used as a doormat by other leagues when they go to tournaments.

Reality is this is the first time their “All Star” DD was not coached by them and turned out not to be the star of the team. In order to make things better, they are putting them on the Rec Ball All Star team (they still run the league).

There were a couple of players that missed HS practices, and were reported playing Rec games during that time. Daddies justified it by stating that they needed a minimum number of games played to be eligible for All Stars after HS. Coaches are most likely not allowing them to play in the final week of HS games as they feel they are no longer HS eligible.

Is this the right action by the HS?

Also, HS has 3 teams:

FROSH - Freshmen and Sophomores
JV - Anyone but Seniors
Varsity - Anyone
DDG

Return to CA