Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Is it ok for players and parents to call pitch locations?

by True Student » Tue May 05, 2009 11:13 pm

My question is if its Ethical for parents and players to call pitch location before the pitch is thrown? I understand its part of the strategy some teams play but are the batters really learning to be discipline hitters? Do D1 colleges play this way too? Give me youre thoughts so I can understand this better.
True Student

by Whizzer86 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:25 pm

True Student wrote:My question is if its Ethical for parents and players to call pitch location before the pitch is thrown? I understand its part of the strategy some teams play but are the batters really learning to be discipline hitters? Do D1 colleges play this way too? Give me youre thoughts so I can understand this better.

No one outside of the field should be involved in the game what so ever other than support. Parents or spectators should never tip off anything, that is pure bush league.

A runner at second however should feel free to tip the batter off.......... but if they get caught, as the game evolves, they may get tipped in the ear their next at bat :D
Whizzer86

by Coach11 » Wed May 06, 2009 6:16 am

Let the parents holler all they want. Makes em feel important. The kids aren't listening to them anyway.
Coach11

by bunt-n-run » Wed May 06, 2009 7:33 am

True Student wrote:My question is if its Ethical for parents and players to call pitch location before the pitch is thrown? I understand its part of the strategy some teams play but are the batters really learning to be discipline hitters? Do D1 colleges play this way too? Give me youre thoughts so I can understand this better.

All I can say is that you don't want to do it against my older DD's college team. :evil: You NEVER see the 2B runner throwing her left or right arm out there indicating location. On the other hand, on many teams, the better catchers don't set up until the pitch is on it's way....so it wouldn't work anyways.
I do see happening quite often in the 12's and 14's....you hear coaches yelling out location too.

IMO....it's kinda rookie behaivior that will be put to an end sooner or later (THE EASY WAY OR THE HARD WAY) :o :o :evil: :evil: ;)
bunt-n-run

by Chin Music » Wed May 06, 2009 7:42 am

Picking up on signs is part of the game. How these signs are communicated amongst your players throughout the game needs to be tactful! Hand signals,left or right leg for location ect. is somewhat acceptable. Coaches, players and fans yelling out pitch type or location is considered "bush." Teams that play "bush" better have a large roster and plenty of back-up helmets.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pridefpsb17 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:37 am

Most of the teams that do this blatantly, don't know what to do or can't do anything with that information anyway. :mrgreen:

It just frustrates the players. . .So don't worry about it.
“Well-behaved women rarely make history” -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

"I just want you to be happy, as long as it is on my terms" -Martha Stewart
Pridefpsb17

by wadeintothem » Wed May 06, 2009 12:24 pm

I am always suprised at the number of coaches that come to the umpire over this... in fact, I had a coach come to me about it during Fresno Force.

I'm glad to see responses which do not involve us, as obviously its not a rule violation.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by wadeintothem » Wed May 06, 2009 12:33 pm

bunt-n-run wrote:, the better catchers don't set up until the pitch is on it's way....so it wouldn't work anyways.

Definately the product of a horribly trained catcher. The one during FF would set, the offensive coach would call it out. They would throw it to where the catcher set. :roll:
It was like an absurdity circus. Terrible coaching and catching.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by H.P.S.D » Wed May 06, 2009 8:05 pm

The way some players and parents act is funny, the funiest one ive seen is spycam, I saw a parent run to the batter to show her how the ball moves down to up. MMMMM riseball would be my guess?
H.P.S.D

by darkaspain » Wed May 13, 2009 8:45 pm

Blue really has no say in this funny topic. What is he going to do "hey fans you are not aloud to talk during the game" If they could do anything, make the talk in the dugout stop. Some of the girls screaming is much more annoying than fans saying "come on blue"
darkaspain

Next

Return to CA