Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

WHO ARE THE TOP TEN PITCHERS IN 12U SOCAL

by Clean_up » Mon May 04, 2009 8:45 am

softball_parent wrote:Who is dominant in 12U is almost never the same in 16U and 18 gold.

My point exactly with my original post. Although it is great to get that ACE while trying to compete for a 12U National Championship, IMO it is more important to have those solid, developing pitchers in your rotation because those kids will most likely be your ACEs in the years to come.
Clean_up

by softballmafia » Mon May 04, 2009 8:51 am

Hey cleanup answer my question about your measuring device for their speed or are you like every parent out there just because a girl throws alittle bit harder she is throwing in the upper 50/60s?
softballmafia

by Clean_up » Mon May 04, 2009 8:52 am

softballmafia wrote:Let me see clean-up you where out there with you $50.00 radar gun and clocked all the four pitchers at 58 mph or you visually zoomed in with your keen built in clock and registered their
speed....just curious

No, but I've personally seen clocked speeds of three at games on other peoples radar guns and at pitching lessons hitting speeds in that range. 54 - 60 mph actually, but averaging 58. Just giving my opinion, if you don't think some of those pitchers are hitting 58 mph with certain pitches, that's cool.

BTW, I don't own a radar gun and wouldn't waste my money on one because I really don't care how fast a pitcher throws in 12s. I've seen some very good off-speed pitchers who are just as effective as the flame-throwers, so batters have to learn to adjust their timing to all speeds.
Clean_up

by Clean_up » Mon May 04, 2009 8:54 am

softballmafia wrote:Hey cleanup answer my question about your measuring device for their speed or are you like every parent out there just because a girl throws alittle bit harder she is throwing in the upper 50/60s?

54-58 is mid-upper 50's.
Clean_up

by bracketologist » Mon May 04, 2009 9:17 am

softballmafia wrote:Let me see clean-up you where out there with you $50.00 radar gun and clocked all the four pitchers at 58 mph or you visually zoomed in with your keen built in clock and registered their
speed....just curious

Come on softballmafia, give clean-up a break. Everyone knows that inthedirt clocks the 12u pitchers with a $49.99 radar gun and for just $2 he will add 2 mph if anyone asks about your dd... :o

inthedirt can you post the speeds?
bracketologist

by rbi » Mon May 04, 2009 10:56 am

The hardest throwing pitcher last year at 12U Nationals that I saw was a girl from Texas, might have been Kaos or Kruzers. Going into game we had heard she had hit 60mph on some pitchs. Long story short she didnt make it through the 3rd inning, while are 11yr old giant was throwing low 50's and very effective rise. Away is a great pitch no doubt, but in 12U if you have someone who can throw a good rise to go with it, thats the girl who is tough to beat in 12's, its hard for anyone to lay off a good rise, let along a 12yr old.
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Gone in 2.6 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:06 am

rbi wrote:The hardest throwing pitcher last year at 12U Nationals that I saw was a girl from Texas, might have been Kaos or Kruzers. Going into game we had heard she had hit 60mph on some pitchs. Long story short she didnt make it through the 3rd inning, while are 11yr old giant was throwing low 50's and very effective.

ASA Nats 2004

Bree Brown of Spring Klein Impact Tanel was consistent 62 and as high as 64 in their opening game vs OC Fury whose pitcher Trista Thomas was consistent 59-60 and as high as 62 (multiple
radar guns behind the backstop).

They will be playing for DePaul and Cal Poly SLO next spring.

While both fine pitchers, they actually only throw a few miles per hour harder (maybe 3 to 4?) at 18 than they did at 12 (but with much more movement).

Kenzie Folwer (Arizona next year) was only throwing in the high 50's at that same tournament. But by the time she was 14 she had leaped to 68 MPH.

Pitching speed in 12U doesn't always give you a clear picture of the future.
"And as I watch you disappear into the ground
My one mistake was that I never let you down"
Gone in 2.6

by Rich » Wed May 06, 2009 1:02 pm

Gone in 2.6 wrote:

"While both fine pitchers, they actually only throw a few miles per hour harder (maybe 3 to 4?) at 18 than they did at 12 (but with much more movement).

Kenzie Folwer (Arizona next year) was only throwing in the high 50's at that same tournament. But by the time she was 14 she had leaped to 68 MPH.

Pitching speed in 12U doesn't always give you a clear picture of the future.[/quote]"

Having been through this once before (oldest DD now pitching in college), this was my experience the first time around.

1. The best pitchers in 12U are the girls who mature first, and get to be about as big as they are ever going to be, which means, as previously noted above, they are only going to be a little faster than than they were at 12U.

2. Several of the top 12U pitchers of my DD's year got overuse injuries and were done by 18. She may not have made it to college ball, but dog gone it, the top girl has a 12U and 14U National championship on her resume'!

3. By the time they get to college and 43', speed doesn't matter nearly as much as movement and location.
Rich

Previous

Return to CA