Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

My after Fresno Classic view on the So Ca teams in 12u -

by bracketologist » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:57 pm

I sound like a broken record - Congratulations to Power Surge 96 1st place at Fresno

Power Surge is clearly the top team in So. Cal, the questionable personnel changes made after the fall season - have improved the team. In fact I can’t remember any 12u team that has beaten them since Feb 1st! Now if it’s true the CTS 96 pitcher has joined this is great news for Power Surge and the pitchers long term future!

The second thing that separates Power Surge from the other top/leading teams is that they do not lose to or tie Group 3 & 4 teams even when they do not play well. You can’t say the same thing about any of the Group 2 teams.

Yes the bracket gods have been kind to Power Surge both at Surf City and Fresno (the bracket of death that Jynx survived), but I’m confident that PS would have won without the bracket gods help. The main problem with Power Surge is that they do not have a great rival! Lakewood had Victory, Corona Angles had OC Impact, and Power Surge has who?

Congratulations to Jnyx on surviving the bracket of death (see below) and finishing second in Fresno. Some people have taken some shots at Jynx on Heybucket so it is nice to see the team back healthy. Second, it was fun to watch Jynx parents and coaches pray to the bracket gods to not put any 97 teams in their path.

Speaking of 97 teams – again the group had a strong showing in Fresno. If you watch the 97’s closely you will see a style of play that reminds me of the 94 teams – minus a big hitter or two. The commitment to defense, over all team success and positive self confidence will serve you well at State and into the future.

All in all, the majority of teams in the poll played at a very high level.

Let’s look at Fresno through the eyes of the last poll - which predicted a PowerSurge #1 vs. Rebels #2 final. This was destroyed once the Rebels lost to #6 BombSquad 96 in bracket pool play on Saturday. There was no way the Rebels could run the table against the Vegas Champs Lil Rebels, #7 OC W 96, #8 Jynx, #4 CA-K, just to get to the semi-finals!

So let’s look at the path Power Surge & Jynx took to the finals.

Power Surge - They played and defeated a number of good teams to win this tournament, including:

#10 Cal Thunder – Pool Bracket Play
Cal Breeze Ram – Pool Bracket Play
#4 Corona Angels-Knighten – Pool Bracket not elimination game both already made gold bracket
#35 OC Wildcats 97 – 3rd Round
#18 Raiders-Bruder – 4th Round
#14 Corona Angels-Lochman – 5th Round Semi Finals
# 8 SoCal Jynx – 6th Round Finals

Note they did not have to play one top ten team in an elimination game!

Jynx’s road to the championship:

Socal Wicked – Pool Bracket Play
#11 Valley Tribe – Pool Bracket Play
#35 OC Wildcats 97 – Pool Bracket not elimination game both already made gold bracket
#2 Ca Rebels – 3rd Round
#4 Angels/Knighten – 4th Round
#10 Thunder – 5th Round Semi Finals
#1 Powersurge over Jynx 6th Round Finals.

Note every elimination game for Jynx was against a top ten team!

Power Surge is clearly the top team, but they clearly escaped the bracket of death!

All of the below teams were on one side of the bracket!

# 8 So Cal Jynx
# 2 CA Rebels
# 4 CA-K
# 6 Bomb Squad 96
#7 OC Wildcats 96
#5 OC Batbusters 96 (M)
#15 Team Smith 96
#10 Thunder
# 9 OC Batbusters Snow
#13 AA- P
#25 Outlaws
#26 No Fear
#21 Revenge 96
Lil Rebels NV - LV tourney winners

The run that Jynx had to make to just make the finals indicates what is going to happen at State! Excluding Power Surge, I don’t think any 12u Team can beat 4 other top ten teams in a row! It seems the bracket gods may ultimately determine which 12 teams qualify at State!.

I am going to send my request for ballots to the coaches and pollsters later this week but below is my take on the current pre-state 12u situation. My top 30 teams

The main contenders for State and Nationals honors are Group 1 & 2. We are at the point, where Group 2 teams should be consistently beating teams outside of Group 2 & 3. Therefore Group 2 teams should be beating the teams below Group 3, and so on. I don't really call it an upset if a Group 3 team beats a Group 2 team. But a Group 3 team beating a Group 1 team is now an upset.

Secondly – As state is around the corner and we have a number of contenders for the 12 berths given at State – we now need to look at teams that can go into the losers’ bracket and still fight through to finish in the top 12. To do that they need either 1 pitcher that can throw 4 great games back to back, or more likely have 2 pitchers capable of winning two games each against Group 2 & 3 teams. So Group 2 teams that have a #2 pitcher that can’t win against any team in Group 3 or 4 – are in trouble and must stay out of the losers’ bracket early. This is why team defense is so important ………..

Group 1: - A

1. San Diego Power Surge (#1) – Clearly the best team – now approaching the level of CA95

Group 2 – B+

2. CA Rebels (#2) – I think team is building for Nationals – Very consistent, will not need a good bracket draw to qualify at State (i.e., have a #2 pitcher that can beat other Grp 2 & 3 teams). Notice that their weakest players are developing and getting better.

3. Corona Angels Knighten (#4) – Very consistent – beating teams they should beat. Record is not good vs. the other top 9 teams, but they are very competitive. Not sure they have the overall talent as the other top teams but the coaches are getting the most out of their players.

4. Firecrackers (#3) – The defense still needs a lot of work. Getting to be as inconsistent – as OC Batbusters M & Wildcats 96, Have not fared well in Friendlies vs. Group 2 & 3 12u teams. One of my three hot streak teams (if they get hot they can beat anyone… but turn around and lose to anyone)! All three of my hot streak teams tend to only play good defense when their bats are active, if they go scoreless for 2-3 innings in a row their defensive takes a big hit.

5. So Cal Jynx (#8) – Very good team that play very well in Fresno. Offensive is very good – would like to see them play PS96 with some rest. Have to find a way to beat the Firecrackers and top 97 teams on a consistent basis.

6. Bomb Squad (#6) – Very dangerous team – could not follow-up huge win against Rebels with a win in Bracket play on Sunday. Offensive will make them vulnerable against good defensive Group 3 & 4 Teams.

7. Cal Thunder (#10) – Made a great run at Fresno. Shut a lot of people up!

8. O.C. Batbusters Marquez (#5) – very inconsistent, but consistent at getting eliminated when they shouldn’t – always the team on upset alert! Maybe the only team with the talent and self confidence to beat Power Surge when PS plays their best game! One of my three hot streak teams (if they get hot they can beat anyone… but turn around and lose to anyone)!

9. O.C. Wildcats 96 (#7) – inconsistent, were not very impressive in Fresno. Like the Firecrackers the defense needs a lot of work! One of my three hot streak teams (if they get hot they can beat anyone… but turn around and lose to anyone)!

[b]Group 3 - B[/b]

10. OC Batbusters Snow97 (#9) – very sound team. One big win against one of the top 9 and look out. Have been the class of the 97 field. With a couple of key additions this team will be a major factor next year.

11. Corona Angels Lockman (mixed 96/ 97) (#14) – The defense has improved, looking to get back into the top 10. This team will go as far as the defense takes them. Will be dangerous if they can get better offensive production out of their big hitter in a couple of key games at Nationals

12. Team Smith 96 (#15) – Dangerous – I have a lot of respect for this team! Goes about playing good softball without the hype. I think the girls now view themselves as a top team and that makes them very dangerous. Note: In 12u confidence is more important then talent!

13. AA Palomino 97 (#13) – A good team, with a lot of heart - that plays fundamentally sound softball. If they add three key additions over the summer they will be at the level of the 94 12u teams next year.

13. Corona Xpress (#12) – I see they tied the Firecrackers in a friendly and have started to win pool play games…. Not sure if this is the same Xpress team! Very good elimination team, some how I expect them to qualify at State – regardless of the bracket. Same confidence thing as Team Smith.. makes them dangerous.

15. Valley Tribe 96 & 97 (#11) – They look tried to me. Very important for this team to qualify at State, I think they could use the rest without the pressure.

** - Lil Rebels Vegas

** - Sac Fire & Ice

Group 4 – All of these teams should qualify for ASA Nationals (but expect 1-2 to skip and try for the automatic berth next year by winning Western Nationals instead.)

16. Raiders (#18) – Had a good showing at Fresno – beating Valley Tribe in bracket play. Another inconsistent 96 team, that still has time to put it together and move into Group 3.

17. So Cal Crunch (#16)– just missing something! Always two plays away. Haven’t seen them in a while

18. Irvine Sting (#17) – They just can’t win the one game that will get them over the top!

19. OC Batbusters – Ray (#19) – Lets’ see how big a bump they get in April.

20. Revenge 96 (#21) – This is a very solid team that just lacks a player or two to make them a consistent Group 3 team.

21. Outlaws Garden Grove (#25) – Won a great game against AA Palomino. They also played a solid game against OC BB-M.

22. No Fear 96 (#26) – First time seeing them at a big tournament. Very solid team that can make significant progress before State and Nationals by playing better teams

Group 5 – Expect only 2-3 teams out of all of Group 5 to be at ASA Nationals

23. Nemesis 96 (#23) – This team is starting to improve…again. Will need some help from the bracket gods and capitalize on a couple of errors to qualify at State.

24. Minor’s Gold 97/96 (#24) – I expected a little more out of them in Fresno. A solid team that is dangerous like Team Smith 96.

25. TNL (#20) – A solid team that is usually well coached. As expected and predicted on Heybucket the loser of the TNL vs. OC BB Snow would not make the gold bracket at Fresno. Did not play like that was an elimination game

Group 5.5 – Just outside the “top twenty five”
26. So Cal Diamonds (#29)
27. OC Crush (#32)
28. Corona Eliminators (#34)
29. San Diego Elite (#33)
30. USA Athletics (#30)

Others within and playing at the level of the above Group 5.5 teams
[i]OC Wildcats 97
Revenge 97 (#37)
SD Legacy (#28)
Glendora Crush (#31)
Double Play 97 (#27)
bracketologist

by ARCHRIVAL » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:25 pm

NEXT TIME YOU POST ANOTHER TEAMS NAME LEARN HOW TO SPELL IT. HAVE SOME RESPECT. WHO MADE YOU THE KING OR QUEEN OF ASSUMING WHAT TEAMS ARE GOOD AT WHAT. WHY DON'T YOU HAVE YOUR TEAM SHOW UP AND PLAY .YOU THINK YOU KNOW THESE TEAMS VERY WELL BUT YET YOU CAN'T BEAT THEM.
ARCHRIVAL

by hotwheels » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:32 pm

ARCHRIVAL wrote:NEXT TIME YOU POST ANOTHER TEAMS NAME LEARN HOW TO SPELL IT. HAVE SOME RESPECT. WHO MADE YOU THE KING OR QUEEN OF ASSUMING WHAT TEAMS ARE GOOD AT WHAT. WHY DON'T YOU HAVE YOUR TEAM SHOW UP AND PLAY .YOU THINK YOU KNOW THESE TEAMS VERY WELL BUT YET YOU CAN'T BEAT THEM.

Ok, 2 posts and now I'm hooked and can't wait for #3......Not that I'm a moron but ok I'm a moron but who's name did he spell wrong? No need to yell here....We're all friends.... ;)
hotwheels

by anonlooker » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:34 pm

Stan? Is that you Stan? :mrgreen:
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by bn2themountain » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:36 pm

hotwheels wrote:
ARCHRIVAL wrote:NEXT TIME YOU POST ANOTHER TEAMS NAME LEARN HOW TO SPELL IT. HAVE SOME RESPECT. WHO MADE YOU THE KING OR QUEEN OF ASSUMING WHAT TEAMS ARE GOOD AT WHAT. WHY DON'T YOU HAVE YOUR TEAM SHOW UP AND PLAY .YOU THINK YOU KNOW THESE TEAMS VERY WELL BUT YET YOU CAN'T BEAT THEM.

Ok, 2 posts and now I'm hooked and can't wait for #3......Not that I'm a moron but ok I'm a moron but who's name did he spell wrong? No need to yell here....We're all friends.... ;)

TNL ? :shock:
bn2themountain

by hotwheels » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:37 pm

bn2themountain wrote:
hotwheels wrote:

Now that is FUNNY!! Actually I thought he was talking about our Xpress team but that is actually how we spell it!
hotwheels

by JustWondering » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:38 pm

bn2themountain wrote:
hotwheels wrote:

Lil Rebels?
JustWondering

by hotwheels » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:39 pm

JustWondering wrote:
bn2themountain wrote:
hotwheels wrote:

Lil Rebels?

You might be right.....Is there an apostrophe in LI'L?????? Inquiring minds want to know
hotwheels

by ARCHRIVAL » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:44 pm

[color=#FF0000]JYNX, YOU DING DONGS. :o [/color]
ARCHRIVAL

by fungodude » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:47 pm

ARCHRIVAL wrote:[color=#FF0000]JYNX, YOU DING DONGS. :o [/color]

Oh, I see. He spelled it Jnyx earlier when he was giving them props for fighting through the bracket of death.
fungodude

Next

Return to CA