Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Ganglion Cyst on back of hand/wrist

by Clean_up » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:06 am

DD may have a small ganglion cyst on her wrist. It causes her pain during batting practice/lessons and is starting to hurt throwing rise balls, unfortunately it is on her right wrist. Tiny non-painful lump showed up about 6 months ago, hardly noticiable and didn't pay much attention to it until lately it has become a little larger, irritating and painful during the activities I mentioned. We are going to see the doctor about it next week. We have researched it and there are a variety of stories, some horrible, about it on-line; but nothing really helpful in terms of sports and recovery/full mobility, etc.

Have any of you or DD had one, did you have it removed and did it cause any additional problems in terms of recovery, restrictions on activity, did you have it drained or surgically removed? Any advice?

Much appreciated, thanks.
Clean_up

by A's mom » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:27 am

Sometimes when they are caught early on, some of the fluid that hasn't solidified can be drained with a needle in the DR.'s office. This (if they can get some fluid out) will buy some time by lessening the pressure on the surrounding nerves. She will eventually have to have it removed but if you can buy time it's worth a try. I feel for her, this hurts, and will become increasingly painful. Good Luck, and feel free to ask if you want more details, I had one removed a few years ago.
A's mom

by BIG PAPA 18 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:18 am

DD just had hers removed from her right wrist less than a year ago. Complaining of same symptoms, when she bent her wrist you can see a slight ball.. Surgery was simple, and had therapy for 2 to 3 months and then started throwing the ball around and hitting again.. Any questions pm me..
BIG PAPA 18

by HBDave » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:12 pm

I cetainly don't recommend this for anyone's DD but I got rid of mine (Had a couple in my late teens, early 20's) with a firm blow from a big book. "The Complete Works of Shakespeare" worked best. :shock:
HBDave

by Clean_up » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:10 pm

HBDave wrote:I cetainly don't recommend this for anyone's DD but I got rid of mine (Had a couple in my late teens, early 20's) with a firm blow from a big book. "The Complete Works of Shakespeare" worked best. :shock:

Yeah, I read online that alot of people have done this. I would do that to myself, but not on a 12 year old girlie-girl, lol... Thanks though. :? :D
Clean_up

by BonezMom » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:06 pm

HBDave wrote:I cetainly don't recommend this for anyone's DD but I got rid of mine (Had a couple in my late teens, early 20's) with a firm blow from a big book. "The Complete Works of Shakespeare" worked best. :shock:

That is how my Dr. told me to remove mine.... otherwise just live with it.... pain went away in a couple of years... still have the bump though
Too bad, so sad, bye bye
BonezMom

by gobruins » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:26 pm

I had one years ago, simple surgery, minimal recovery time, with no after affects. The book thing supposedly does work, but my doctor told me if hit incorrectly, that I could lose movement in my fingers. So I chose to be safe rather than sorry. Good Luck.
gobruins

by DLyle » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:19 am

I'm an Athletic Trainer in TX. Have dealt with many of these on high school athletes. First we always agressivly iced and started a regiment of NSAIDS,non steroidal anti-inflamitory medicines. Can be something like ibuprofen. Dosage is by body weight obtained from MD. This generally alowed athlete to compete while therapy continiued. If insufficient results occurred, surgical removal was next for us. I determined efficiency of results by ability to compete with less pain or not. If the athlete was unable to compete we optioned for surgery quickly for quicker return.
The "large Book" theroy was how this condition became known as a "Bible Bump" , the bible was the largest book in the house in earlier years.
Seek out a orthapedic surgeon that treats high profile athletes that will listen to your needs/concerns and not just "cook book" time out from competition.
DLyle

Return to CA