Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Players moving up and down divisions

by Clean_up » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:05 am

Had this question this weekend. If an age-eligible 12U player has been playing on a 14U team this season, can she move down and play on a 12U team? Is there a cut-off date of when a player can do that, say after playing in an ASA sanctioned tournament or does it matter at all? Just curious, I have no idea.
Clean_up

by dadoftheyear » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:34 am

a player can play down as much as she wants. until the following year.at that point she will be 14u and have to stay there. i know our team is a 12U and we play 14U as much as possible to get the experience.
dadoftheyear

by Clean_up » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:54 am

dadoftheyear wrote:a player can play down as much as she wants. until the following year.at that point she will be 14u and have to stay there. i know our team is a 12U and we play 14U as much as possible to get the experience.

Thank you, I know teams can play up and down as long as they are registered with ASA or others as the younger team. My question is can a player who is 12U age eligible and is rostered on a 14U team, change teams and then become rostered on a 12U team during the same season. I would think so, but is there any point in time during a season that such a player would be considered 14U and have to remain on a 14U team? I have had a couple people say the girl would have to play in 14's once they are rostered on the 14U team, my opinion is as long as they are age-eligible for 12U that player can change teams and be rostered as 12U.

But, as far as ASA - if the player played on a 14U team that played in the ASA State tournament, team decides to release the player for whatever reasons. Can a 12U team pick that player up and roster her for let's say 12U Nationals?
Clean_up

by Love2Coach » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:05 am

If I am correct a 12/u player playing in 14/u may come down to play back in the 12's until she is redlined by any 14/u roster, meaning if she has participated in any ASA championship play on a 14/u roster she may not come back to 12's, usually any 96 playing up in the 14/u division is r ineligeble after any ASA national qualifier in or out of state.
Love2Coach
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Clean_up » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:20 pm

Love2Coach wrote:If I am correct a 12/u player playing in 14/u may come down to play back in the 12's until she is redlined by any 14/u roster, meaning if she has participated in any ASA championship play on a 14/u roster she may not come back to 12's, usually any 96 playing up in the 14/u division is r ineligeble after any ASA national qualifier in or out of state.

Got it.. Even if her team 14u decides to play Triple Crown and forgo going to Western Nationals? Just curious..
Clean_up

by sball14 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:05 pm

I was told that if a '96 plays 14u at state (ASA) she would not be eligible to play 12u nationals if she wanted to come down. If this is true that would be the only cut off date that would effect a player moving up or down. I'm sure spazsdad would know if this info is true.
sball14

by Clean_up » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:14 am

Spazsdad wrote:ASA only controls ASA. Just like if a player left her ASA team after playing in a qualifying tournament she could still go play triple crown or another sanction.

Sorry, I wasn't clear on my question (Happening alot lately). If the 12u player plays for a 14u team that goes to states and doesnt qualify for nationals and then her 14u team decides to just play Triple Crown instead, not Westerns. Can the 96 player be picked up on a 12U team heading to ASA Nationals?
Clean_up

by Bill_B » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:03 am

Clean_up wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:ASA only controls ASA. Just like if a player left her ASA team after playing in a qualifying tournament she could still go play triple crown or another sanction.

Sorry, I wasn't clear on my question (Happening alot lately). If the 12u player plays for a 14u team that goes to states and doesnt qualify for nationals and then her 14u team decides to just play Triple Crown instead, not Westerns. Can the 96 player be picked up on a 12U team heading to ASA Nationals?

Try this...
http://www.socal-asa.com/index.php?ct=j ... ligibility

and this...
http://www.socal-asa.com/jo/forms/YellowBook.pdf

and finally...
http://downloads.asasoftball.com/about/pdf/asa_code.pdf

Take a look at articles 502 and 503 in the national code.

Keep in mind that this is purely ASA and does not apply to other organizations.
Bill_B

by hotwheels » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:05 am

Clean_up wrote:

I don't believe she can do that....I THINK (Not Positive) that once you play UP in a qualifying tournament for ASA then you are locked into that age group until the end of Summer....I will look it up!
hotwheels

by refrigguy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:43 am

refer to asa rules and regs...no player can't play 12u if plays 14u asa qualifier, Clean up are we talking a 96player or pitcher!!! :o :o
refrigguy

Next

Return to CA