Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

My after Surf City view on the So. Ca teams in 12u

by bracketologist » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:00 pm

Congratulations to Power Surge 96 1st place at Surf City.

Congratulations to USA Athletics for being the only unranked So Cal team that beat a ranked team (#12 Raiders) in bracket play!

PowerSurge 96 was very impressive at Surf City, but lets not crown them yet!

Let’s look at Surf City through the eyes of the last poll - which successfully predicted a PowerSurge vs. Rebels finals.

PowerSurge 96

1st Round – Bye
2nd Round – Defeated Nemesis 96 #21
3rd Round – Defeated Bomb Squad 96 #15 (#5 in my book)
4th Round – Defeated Corona Xpress 96 #17
5th Round Championship– Defeated Cal Rebels #2

Cal Rebels 96

1st Round – Bye
2nd Round – Defeated OC BatBusters Snow #9
3rd Round – Defeated OC Wildcats 96 #7
4th Round – Defeated Corona Angles K #3
5th Round Championship – Lost to PowerSurge 96 #4

The run the Rebels had to make to just make the finals indicates what is going to happen at State! I am not sure any 12u Team can beat 4 other top ten teams in a row! It seems the bracket gods may ultimately determine the State champion.

I am going to send my request for ballots to the coaches and pollsters later this week but below is my take on the current 12u “non fight” situation.

The main contenders for State and Nationals honors are Group 1 & 2. We are at the point, where Group 1 teams should be consistently beating teams outside of Group 1 & 2. Therefore Group 2 teams should be beating the teams below Group 3, and so on. I don't really call it an upset if a Group 3 team beats a Group 2 team. But a Group 3 team beating a Group 1 team is a mild upset.

Group 1:

(#4). 1. San Diego Power Surge – His teams tend to peak early. Has the most talent + 2 A pitchers.
(#2). 2. CA Rebels – A great run at Surf City. If they stay in the winners bracket they will be fine- if they end up in the losers bracket early– they will need help from the bracket gods with the current pitching issues!
(#1). 3. Firecrackers – Not sure they can pull off a “Campbell”.
(#3). 4. Corona Angels Knighten – The best defensive team bar none! A change up every pitch for 3 innings against PS, Rebels or Firecracker type of team while …playing up close with no face masks…..crazy!
(#15). 5. Bomb Squad 96 – More then one pitcher.

Group 2

(#5). Tied 6. O.C. Batbusters Marquez – inconsistent, with a lot of talent.
(#7). Tied 6. O.C. Wildcats 96 – inconsistent, with an under rated A pitcher.
Group 2.5 – Just outside the “Big Seven”
(#9). 8. OC Batbusters Snow97– very sound team. One big win against one of the big seven and look out.
(#6). 9. So Cal Jynx – inconsistent, need to get healthy and put 2-3 weeks of good softball together.

Group 3
(#11). 10. Cal Thunder – Not deep enough to win State.
(#8). 11. Valley Tribe 96 & 97 – Don’t have the depth to play the big girls every week.
(#14). 12. Irvine Sting – They just can’t win the one game that will get them over the top!
(#16). 13. AA Palomino 97 – A good team, with a lot of heart.
(#17). 14. Corona Xpress – If they could add some depth they would be in Group 2. Tend to run out of gas by the time they reach the semi’s – consistently good in bracket play.

Group 4 – 50% of this group will be at ASA Nationals
(#10). 15. Corona Angels Lockman (mixed 96/ 97) – Need to fix the outfield issues, to be a top ten team!
(#18). 16. Team Smith 96 – Dangerous – just hanging around.
(#13). 17. So Cal Crunch – just missing something! Always two plays away.
(#12). Tied 18. Raiders – inconsistent, maybe a better friendly team.
(#19). Tied 18. OC Batbusters – Ray – Lets’ see how big a bump they get in April.
(#22). 20. Revenge 96 – Another team that lacks the depth to play the big girls every week.
(#NR).21. TNL – Great understanding of 12u softball.
(#26). 22. Outlaws Garden Grove – welcome them to the poll officially.
(#24). 23. Minor’s Gold 97/96 – Like Team Smith 96 dangerous.
(#21). 24. Nemesis 96 – inconsistent

Group 5
(#20). 25. No Fear 96 – waiting to see how they match up in a big tournament.
(#25). 26. SD Legacy – just hanging on to the poll.
(#NR). 27. USA Athletics – played well at Surf City
(#23). 28. So Cal Diamonds – People are always getting the two So Cal 12u Diamond teams confused.
Last edited by bracketologist on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bracketologist

by Ron Mexico » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:40 pm

Bracketologist, Do you mean Bomb Squad 96 needs another pitcher? I was not sure.

Thanks!!!
Ron Mexico

by hotwheels » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:44 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:Bracketologist, Do you mean Bomb Squad 96 needs another pitcher? I was not sure.

Thanks!!!

I think he is referring to some of the prior comments made last week making referrence to the fact that "Were they just one good pitcher carrying them?"....The answer to that is NO!!! That is a good team all the way around IMHO....Good defense and solid hitting with their pitching...I only saw the one STUD pitch so I can't comment on the other pitchers they have but that team is more than just one good pitcher...
hotwheels

by Ron Mexico » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:12 pm

Hot Wheels,

I got to watch one of your games, you have a scrappy team. Your team plays a very good all around game. You have some girls who can execute the small ball. The squeeze plays were epic. You also have a couple small girls who look like they can really drive the ball. Looking forward to seeing you on the 19th. Hopefully we can play you again.
Ron Mexico

by hotwheels » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:20 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:Hot Wheels,

I got to watch one of your games, you have a scrappy team. Your team plays a very good all around game. You have some girls who can execute the small ball. The squeeze plays were epic. You also have a couple small girls who look like they can really drive the ball. Looking forward to seeing you on the 19th. Hopefully we can play you again.

Thanks for the compliments and I will let the Manager and coaches know tonight at practice!! That team has worked really hard and excluding our hiccup in Vegas looks to be playing some really good ball. Thanks again
hotwheels

by PuddWaah » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:49 pm

hotwheels wrote:

Thanks for the compliments and I will let the Manager and coaches know tonight at practice!! That team has worked really hard and excluding our hiccup in Vegas looks to be playing some really good ball. Thanks again

Is'nt most of your team from the 10u Corona Wildcats? I thought they were a well coached team back then & they played alot of small ball back then too.
PuddWaah

by hotwheels » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:56 pm

PuddWaah wrote:
hotwheels wrote:

Is'nt most of your team from the 10u Corona Wildcats? I thought they were a well coached team back then & they played alot of small ball back then too.

Yes, that is where 95% of the team is from....Thanks for the nice words!!
hotwheels

by AM Softball » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:30 pm

I agree with you on 99% of your predictions and outcomes. Very awesome.

I do disagree that the Rebels have pitching issues as all 3 of our pitchers pitched games on Sunday.
AM Softball

by rediman » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:25 am

"(#4). 1. San Diego Power Surge – His teams tend to peak early. Has the most talent + 2 A pitchers."

Hey Bracky, this mountain has several peaks and we are still looking up.
Last edited by rediman on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
rediman

by hotwheels » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:14 am

rediman wrote:"(#4). 1. San Diego Power Surge – His teams tend to peak early. Has the most talent + 2 A pitchers."

Hey Bracky, this mountain has several peaks and were are still looking up.

That's pretty funny....But it's Mr. Ologist to you.....
hotwheels

Next

Return to CA