Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Insane High School Softball numbers

by Joe Dirt » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:22 am

Good answer. I hear you. But the cream should (not always in high school) rise to the top. I am hopeful for you that the coach is trying to put the best team out there possible. Again, not always the case. To answer your original question, if I can remember what it was, my dd's school is carrying 14 or 15 on varsity and probably a similar number on JV. The cost is zero but the tuition is not. And there is a small spirit pack, about $130.00.
Sedit qui timuit ne non succederet - He who feared, he would not succeed, sat still.
Joe Dirt

by Mike Lednovich » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:25 pm

Joe Dirt wrote:Good answer. I hear you. But the cream should (not always in high school) rise to the top. I am hopeful for you that the coach is trying to put the best team out there possible. Again, not always the case. To answer your original question, if I can remember what it was, my dd's school is carrying 14 or 15 on varsity and probably a similar number on JV. The cost is zero but the tuition is not. And there is a small spirit pack, about $130.00.

Thanks Joe. I think (my opinion) that by carrying so many players, the high school coaches are fostering a climate where parent drama will be a natural by-product of their decision. No parent wants to pay $400 and then not see their DD play in games.

I don't have a problem with the best players playing. But 19 kids on JV. That's unfair to the 7 or more kids who will never play and unfair to the JV coach who has to try to please all those frustrated parents happy. It's a "lose-lose" deal except for the program which gets the money.
Mike Lednovich,
Fullerton College/OC Hawks 18Gold
Mike Lednovich

by Joe Dirt » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:44 pm

Well the JV team is supposed to be getting the girls ready for the next level, varsity. Not always the case. I know at a lot of schools there are some freshman on JV that will move up next year. And in some cases the varsity is so strong that the JV program is also very strong and has good coaching. But at most schools, in my experience, JV is kind of like purgatory from the sophomore year on. There are not many school that can afford (from a skill point of view) to leave talent down at the JV level. Good like Mike. BTW, how do you like the Lodestone program?
Sedit qui timuit ne non succederet - He who feared, he would not succeed, sat still.
Joe Dirt

by Ace » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:00 pm

Mike Lednovich wrote:
Joe Dirt wrote:Good answer. I hear you. But the cream should (not always in high school) rise to the top. I am hopeful for you that the coach is trying to put the best team out there possible. Again, not always the case. To answer your original question, if I can remember what it was, my dd's school is carrying 14 or 15 on varsity and probably a similar number on JV. The cost is zero but the tuition is not. And there is a small spirit pack, about $130.00.

Thanks Joe. I think (my opinion) that by carrying so many players, the high school coaches are fostering a climate where parent drama will be a natural by-product of their decision. No parent wants to pay $400 and then not see their DD play in games.

I don't have a problem with the best players playing. But 19 kids on JV. That's unfair to the 7 or more kids who will never play and unfair to the JV coach who has to try to please all those frustrated parents happy. It's a "lose-lose" deal except for the program which gets the money.

And what is it that the program does with the money?
"A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."
Ace

by Mike Lednovich » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:38 pm

Ace wrote:
Mike Lednovich wrote:

And what is it that the program does with the money?

Not sure, there is no accounting to the parents/donors of how the money is spent or invested.
Mike Lednovich,
Mike Lednovich

by Mike Lednovich » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:42 pm

Just to be crystal clear -- I'm not remotely suggesting any underhanded business is taking place at the school. I'm sure all the funds are invested in the program in different ways, but exactly how it is spent is never explained to those who fund the program.
Mike Lednovich,
Mike Lednovich

by Rich » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:54 pm

I would bet a dollar to a donut that if your kid is a stud and claims poverty, some or part of the fee could be waived.
Rich

by thedoanezone » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:03 pm

HBDave wrote:No, she didn't transfer and she's not running track either. She just opted not to play. As far as what I paid per hit, it came out to about $148. For anyone who might be math-challenged that comes to $440 in fees and fundraisers, 11 AB, 3 hits, .273 avg.

I'm usually challenged at math, that's why I use a calculator. OP by HBD had each at-bat at $44 when it s/b $40...already a 10% decrease in your $ spent per at-bat. Also, $146.66 ($/hit) is, I guess, about $148 but most would either cite the exact number or round off (up or down). js
thedoanezone

by Ace » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:54 pm

Mike Lednovich wrote:Just to be crystal clear -- I'm not remotely suggesting any underhanded business is taking place at the school. I'm sure all the funds are invested in the program in different ways, but exactly how it is spent is never explained to those who fund the program.

I would bet the booster club has everything you are looking for. Booster clubs cannot carry money over from year to year, all funds have to be spent on the program. Its amazing how much a hs team costs, when you add up transportation and travel expense.
Its hard to take a kid and cut her after 3 years of good standing in the program. Maybe they should, but most wont cut a kid that is a senior who has spent 2 years on f/s and on year on jv. Most players know comming out that they will not get playing time, but choose to still be a part of the program. Its still fun, and you still get to letter in your sport. Our Varsity carried 18 last year with no problems.
"A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."
Ace

by HBDave » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:34 pm

Okay, so I'm math challenged too. I used a pencil and paper. That might explain why I got a degree in English :D
HBDave

PreviousNext

Return to CA