Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Insane High School Softball numbers

by pixsguy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:39 pm

just found out jv coach got some help...last years varsity coach...couldnt get the schedule to stay with varsity, so our jv gets two quality coaches...not bad for a public school...but...that means varsity coach will continue to play players based on their grades, leaving those girls on jv way too long...
pixsguy
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Joe » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:45 am

pixsguy wrote:that means varsity coach will continue to play players based on their grades

...now, that's just criminal!
Joe

by Softballer15 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:17 am

Our coach carries 16/17 varsity players, all pay $350.00 "donation", I know where the money goes, I help manage it. The coach buys better bats and some field upgrades are necessary every year that the school won't pay for. Our school system pays for very little. Each coach gets some money, enough for a few boxes of balls and a bat.

Sad thing, yesterday 3 of our varsity, starting players who already paid the $350 did not make grades and are no longer with the team but we keep the money, they get their sweats and cleats-sure their parents are upset. So we go on with 14 girls.
Softballer15

by BonezMom » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:35 pm

Just spoke to 2 Varsity players in my class....

20 girls on Varsity
No fees to play unless you want extra practice clothes.

VERY successful HS in the IE
Too bad, so sad, bye bye
BonezMom

by Mike Lednovich » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:14 pm

BonezMom wrote:Just spoke to 2 Varsity players in my class....

20 girls on Varsity
No fees to play unless you want extra practice clothes.

VERY successful HS in the IE

Lucky you, no fees, but 20 on the roster means no playing time for many of the players which is unfortunate.
Mike Lednovich,
Fullerton College/OC Hawks 18Gold
Mike Lednovich

by Ace » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:38 pm

Well if you cut them then they dont get to letter in a sport they probably love. No Bus rides. No pasta parties. No tshirt parties. No wearing their jersey to school. No pep rallies. No traveling with the team to away tournaments. But hey, they COULD get a really cool MySpace page with all of their extra time!
HS softball is an experience for girls that is often as important socially (for them) as it is for their dad to watch them stand in left field. Maybe the last 6 or 7 kids dont play, but they still help the starters get better by being good practice players. Let them be a part of a team, and present it as a positive instead of a selfish negative. Last year our team carried 18 and we didnt hear a peep from anybody.
"A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."
Ace

by BonezMom » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:03 am

Ace wrote:Well if you cut them then they dont get to letter in a sport they probably love. No Bus rides. No pasta parties. No tshirt parties. No wearing their jersey to school. No pep rallies. No traveling with the team to away tournaments. But hey, they COULD get a really cool MySpace page with all of their extra time!
HS softball is an experience for girls that is often as important socially (for them) as it is for their dad to watch them stand in left field. Maybe the last 6 or 7 kids dont play, but they still help the starters get better by being good practice players. Let them be a part of a team, and present it as a positive instead of a selfish negative. Last year our team carried 18 and we didnt hear a peep from anybody.

I agree... its not all just about playing time
Too bad, so sad, bye bye
BonezMom

by Mike Lednovich » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:52 am

Bonezmom/Ace:

Thanks for the great perspectives you provided in your last posts. You're right that it's more than just playing time and more about the value of the social aspect of teams and groups. It's very refreshing to hear that the players and parents in your programs understand and embrace those aspects of the team.

It's always Nice to read good news on the 'Bucket!'
Mike Lednovich,
Fullerton College/OC Hawks 18Gold
Mike Lednovich

by Softballer15 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 pm

We are not so lucky to have such understanding parents and kids. The girls know who the starters are but all expect some playing time. Our coach does a good job trying to get everyone in an inning or two each game but sometimes it just ain't possible. I may be one of those parents this year getting frustrated, my dd has some competiton at pitching, hopefully this is a good thing for her.
Softballer15

by pixsguy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:27 pm

to clarify "based on grades"...seniors play cuz they r seniors, then juniors when there r no seniors, etc, etc...the other grades already knocked out varsity #1 pitcher...

and

after a few practices, jv could give varsity a run for their money since niether has a dominate pitcher...but i am a little biased...lilbit
pixsguy
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to CA